Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2013, 16:32   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Kelly Peterson 44 Project

I keep seeing these 'should I' posts on the site. Usually go on for many pages with the people saying go for it or your crazy to do it. Lasts for a couple of weeks until the OP posts, "The boat was sold".

At $35,000, you've got about $60,000 you could put into the boat and still be whole. You may very well have to put that much money into it but it won't be money totally wasted. I'd go look at it and make a decision. Recoring wouldn't be a deal ender for the cost but for the time that it takes to do it. If you are talking a couple of years, then it might not be that big a deal. Electronics change so quickly, wouldn't pay a nickel for anything over 10 years old and heavily discount 5 years or older. Doesn't sound like you are paying for whatever is there at the asking price. Rigging is simple to do with Norseman/StaLok terminals and not a lot of money, probably less than 3 boat units. Engine rebuild would be less than $10,000 and possibly under $5,000 or maybe nothing if it's working. Sails are a big expense for a boat that size and probably something you'd have to contract out. Look closely at the sail inventory.

One good thing about rehabbing a boat is the time it takes. You can hit Ebay and Craig's List to pick up used gear. Bought my self tailing winches, windlass, rigging terminals, Asym and 150% genoa, etc. etc. for 1/2 discounted retail or less.

Good luck with decision. Think it's definitely worth a close look. Listen to GJordan and anyone else whose owned one.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 17:12   #47

Boat: Tayana 37

Thanks. That's what I was actually thinking of doing IF I buy her.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 17:57   #48

Wow, what is it about this thread that has brought out all of the doom and gloomers? People are bad mouthing the OP for thinking about buying, and saying all kinds of financial horror predictions, when none of the other posters have seen the boat either. I can tell you about selling way under market when health issues and distance are involved. I sold my Peterson 44 for about 50% of market value in Panama when I got caught between my parents health problems, a new baby, and a changing job situation. The boat had a tired engine (new owner had a valve job done) a brand new main and staysail, a decent #1,#2,and spinny, and an Aries hanging on the back. I dont see why anyone is surprised about a low price in this depressed market when the boat has been neglected for a few years. I had all of the standard Taiwan SS problems, but none of them were too hard to fix, nor too expensive. The tanks can be expensive , but the survey should give an idea if they are in need of replacing. If the op buys after a good survey, and spends time and money, he will have a wonderful sailing boat that is rock solid and good looking. Not a flimsy thin plastic modern toy. Go with eyes wide open and let the doom and gloomers move on to complain about something else._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 18:03   #49

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlentz View Post
Wow, you serious? I thought the OP might have been an adult.

PS: Kps weren't built with 4-108's, but want would we know?
...ha ha...ya right when a guy buys a boat, he is a total adult. The 4-108 was mentioned earlier in the thread. The KP I've seen had a 154...happy now
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 18:10   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Wow, what is it about this thread that has brought out all of the doom and gloomers? People are bad mouthing the OP for thinking about buying, and saying all kinds of financial horror predictions, when none of the other posters have seen the boat either. I can tell you about selling way under market when health issues and distance are involved. I sold my Peterson 44 for about 50% of market value in Panama when I got caught between my parents health problems, a new baby, and a changing job situation. The boat had a tired engine (new owner had a valve job done) a brand new main and staysail, a decent #1,#2,and spinny, and an Aries hanging on the back. I dont see why anyone is surprised about a low price in this depressed market when the boat has been neglected for a few years. I had all of the standard Taiwan SS problems, but none of them were too hard to fix, nor too expensive. The tanks can be expensive , but the survey should give an idea if they are in need of replacing. If the op buys after a good survey, and spends time and money, he will have a wonderful sailing boat that is rock solid and good looking. Not a flimsy thin plastic modern toy. Go with eyes wide open and let the doom and gloomers move on to complain about something else._____Grant.
Well...you use words such as doom and gloom and if that's how you see some of the suggestions put forth than so be it. A lot of the suggestions came from people that have built and or rebuilt boats. Your experience seems to be selling one. Or maybe you have spent 4 years at 10-20 hours a week working on a boat while the money faucet is on full. Some of the so called complainers have suggested a surveyor. Please enlighten us why that's so gloomy?
Here's what the OP asked..."but would like to know things to look out for that should make me walk away".
Many posters told him their experience, including myself. He wasn't looking for cheerleaders. There are many things to look out for...not just issues with a boat. But commitment, knowledge of boats and finances to consider.
Maybe if the OP posts some pictures we all could get a better idea what he's dealing with.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 13-08-2013, 18:32   #51

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975...s#.UgreAcu9KSM
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 18:59   #52

Boat: Outbound 44

What's shown needs some TLC. What's not shown needs a lot of $$$.
Old 13-08-2013, 20:18   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

1) Go see the boat.

2) Look at the one in post #27.

I happen to think that #27 is probably a WAY better deal. Personally, KP44 are one of my top 10 boats. I love the way they look, they are generally well built, and pretty comfortable/safe boats.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 20:54   #54

I am glad to see photos of the boat. It shows a truly ugly hard dodger, but a sawzall can cure that. I just wonder how people can say they see lots of money going out from photos. Does a good job of photoshop make a boat more valuable? No I am not interested in selling a boat. If I had the coin, I would buy another Peterson 44 in a heartbeat. People seem to be missing what the OP said in the beginning about sailing and improving the boat as he goes. Sounds like a good plan. As far as engines go, get real, any number of engines may have been substituted over the years. Mine had the original 4-154, the one I delivered from Hawaii had a 4-108. I have been aboard 44s with Ford lehmans, Yanmars, and Cummins. Why assume they all need to be thrown out and replaced with the newest,most expensive motor? While I can see the pride and reward in building/rebuilding a boat, I can only see hypocracy in badmouthing someone who wants to rebuild and improve while he sails. _____More fuel on the fire.____Grant.
Old 14-08-2013, 06:50   #55

No one is bad mouthing the OP. Experience here is merely providing warnings of what the OP can possibly expect getting into a big project.

He came here and asked. He does not seem like the type to do so just to get online justification for his decision like so many other have done here and on a few other forums I frequent. He genuinely seems to appreciate all the comments here both positive and negative.

I would be more leery of the folks who say unconditionally "go for it". They are the ones who are doing the OP a disservice.

He has two prospective boats in his area he can compare that at first appearance are at the two ends of the spectrum. He should take advantage of that situation to help with his decision.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 14-08-2013, 07:09   #56

Boat: Tayana 37

Ok, just to clarify things a bit, I would far and away prefer to get one that's already been refitted, like the one for 105I. But don't currently have that ability. And yes, I do appreciate all the comments. As far as relationships go, my fiancé is well aware of the time, effort and money required of a "project boat."fact, she's looking forward to working on her if we decided she's worth it. If just recently gotten the HIN for the boat and plan on doing some more research on her.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 07:48   #57

Boat: KP44 #279

Kevin,
If you haven't seen it check out Kelly-Peterson 44 Hull Identification Number for your HIN.
Also Peterson Cutter - Boats for Sale has several Kps for sale, you could look at to compare. Basically if you read though kp44.org it covers everything about these boats (you may have to dig to find some of it.)
One other thing to look at on the boat is the shaft and cutless arrangement. Most kps have a 2 cutless system, one behind the shaft log and one outside at the deadwood where the shaft exists. Some boats don't have the inner cutlass and have installed a rigid bearing instead. Either apparently works, however, check for alignment and noise. Not a deal breaker, but can be a source of headaches.

Others,
As far as anyone "unconditionally saying go for it", maybe you should read ALL of the posts!
Dwain
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2013, 08:07   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlentz View Post
As far as anyone "unconditionally saying go for it", maybe you should read ALL of the posts!
Dwain
I did.
TKR on a Boat Website
Old 14-08-2013, 08:16   #59

Just to note. It may be that the OP does not want to finance a boat for personal reasons. I have financed one boat and found it not a bad way to go. It's always nice not having an extra payment in your life but sometimes it can buy you what you need. If you could buy a KP in moderately good condition that just needed upgrades and had good sails and engine, it might be the way to go. Perhaps living on it while working on it could be a dream come true.
Old 14-08-2013, 08:19   #60

Kevin, and anyone else looking at KP44s or similar center cockpit boats. The KP44 is a well layed out boat EXCEPT FOR the emergency tiller. The steering cables are long and difficult to replace at sea. The emergency tiller has to be installed at the rudderhead that is hidden under the master cabin bunk. You have to toss all of the bedding,mattreses,plywood etc out of the way and put the tiller on. You are then in the aft cabin with no visibility,and unless you have mounted a compass just for this purpose, you have no idea what course you are on. I suspect that even the toughest old salt would be reaching for the barf bucket in short order. I never came up with an idea that didnt involve a lot of complications to get your steering up to deck level, so that you could see where you were going. I think this is a common problem on center cockpit boats.____Another 2 cents worth._____Grant.

Tags
peterson