Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 20:07   #16

Boat: PETERSON 44
[QUOTE="olaf hart;1309754"]What is the deck cored with on a KP44?
I understand there was a synthetic core on the 46, but I thought the 44 used balsa.
Is that true?[/QUOTE
No balsa on my 44 its plywood.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 20:08   #17

Boat: KP44 #279
Re: Kelly Peterson 44 Project

Squares of plywood. About 4" squares. Not sure about the 46. I would assume the same. It was 1981-1985 for the 46's did anyone use synthetics then?
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 20:16   #18

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think the deck and house sides are solid ply. The cabin top and cambered areas are cut blocks. At least thats how mine was done. Their were 2 different yards that built them i believe and so they are not all the same.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 20:17   #19

My Halmatic 30 has a foam core in the deck, it was built in 1983.
The plywood squares are a good thing, as I understand it the squares become isolated by resin tracking down from the top glass layer, so water damage tends to be localised.
The Tayana 37's used plywood squares, and the ones without teak seem to last very well.
I will put the 44 on my list, as well as the 46.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 20:28   #20

Kevin, a 50 horse engine is more than enough for a Peterson 44 . I assume you have a 4-108. The KP44 that I delivered from Hawaii had a 4-108 and it was fine. My own Peterson 44 had a 4-154, but I never ran it above 1800 RPM except for short bursts in harbors. It normally was producing somewhere around 25 HP and did fine. If you want performance spend your money on a Max Prop rather than a bigger engine. Remember, you are looking at a long distance cruising boat, not a coastal motorsailor. Over the long run, a reliable windvane and a Max Prop will give you far more advantage than 10 or 15 more HP._____another of my 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 21:18   #21

As I recall the decks were cored with plywood. Small squares I think. Lovely looking and sailing boats. Spend a bit more and do less work, $70k doesn't go that far in one of these boats
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 08:20   #22

Boat: KP44 #279

Deck from an early KP44, 1975-1977. (Teak Hatches)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kpdeck.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	65462  
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:11   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

My friend has a KP 44. They definitely have tank issues over time and a bear to get at. But please allow me to give you a reality check. I've seen a few KP's go for just under $100K. I wish I knew if they were turn-key or not but I assume they were surveyed and passed without too many issues. So when you say you think you will spend $100K in 2 years, how do you know that? Because if that's true, you have 2 years of free labor in front of you. If you have the means to obtain $50K a year, why not wait 2 years, saving money and buy one that is ready to go?
I've built 2 of my own out of steel from scratch and restored 3 F/G boats. It takes a lot of dedication. I've seen many relationships fail because of it. I'm just giving you food for thought.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:20   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

Actually, that's spread over the next 4 years, not 2. That's why I'm willing to consider a boat that needs a refit. But she's also not so bad that I can't use her till the refit is done. I plan to work a little, sail a little.
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 09:25   #25

Great boats. I'm sure they have all the big issues any boat might:
Deck Hardware: This is probably a subtle way of the broker telling you the deck core is wet. Just be prepared to do some heavy glasssing etc.
Tanks: another big item that often goes bad on old boats. Look and see how hard to get them out. Just assume they are about to fail, unless they are high and dry...a surveyor cant tell you. Trouble is , you can rebuild the whole boat, be ready to leave cruising and notice that diesel is starting to appear in the bilge... next thing you k now you have a bilge full of it! (and maybe a harbor awash in it!)
Chainplates, rudder, rigging.
If the 4-108 is good use it! IF not rebuild it.
Also, listen closely to what Celesestial Sailor said. Like him, I've rebuilt a few boats. It can be satisfying, but takes full time and thought dedication. Your love relationship may suffer.... depending on how into it she is. Every thing you intend to repair becomes 3 things before it's done. "I'll just replace that fuel tank" = "whoops, have to cut out the floor. whoops have to replace those rotten under-floor timbers, whoops....."
I dont want to discourage you too much, but just a reality check.... many of us have done it and survived.... many have started and not finished.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:08   #26

Boat: Mason 44

Hi Kevin88

Like to share my 2 cents worth. I know of a P44 about 10 years ago which came up for sale. It has an engine that is taking in water and lots of other project issues. The boat was on a hard in a marina. At that point of time, I do not have enough money to buy the project boat. Today I see that same boat in the yard on the hard stand. Still a project boat for the new owner - yanmar engine on the workshop table waiting for bit and pieces to come in from Singapore.

Imagine, after 10 years still boat building and not going sailing.

My first boat - 31' was a project boat with one year on the hard stand in Phuket. I spent about RM 100k ( about USD 33k ) and my friend spend about RM 60k ( USD 20k) . Even after spending all this amount of money, the quality was - poor. Well the boat was sold to us for RM 18k ( USD 6k ).

After my friend sold that boat, I have decided to get a boat (without sharing and with no bank loans ) that the owner have spend lots of money preparing for his "offshore" project and had to sell for cash due to changes in job or ambition.

So if I am in your position, I would decide whether I want to be a boat builder or go cruising. I would defer the purchase until I have the cash to pay for a well maintained boat. In the meanwhile, enjoy my gf/fiance doing fun and short charters and crew with friends in a local club. This way I would get the best of cruising minus all the commitment to complete a project boat - 4 years!! I may not be able to hang in there so long. I would also have the time (4 years) to develop another source of income to support me when I am cruising. I would be able to learn other skills necessary ie diesel engine, food storage and self sufficiency.

Just a thought. Anyway I like doing projects (taking apart the heat exchanger for service and adding a 2nd alternator ) but my wife prefer the fun of cruising like in the clear waters of Similans Islands or simply anchor at Ko Phayam.
ericoh88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:17   #27

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

This one at $105k asking looks like a much better deal to me if the KP44 is really the boat you want. 1979 Kelly Peterson 44 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

$35k to buy and I see a lot of work needing to be done in those photos. The owner is taking offers so a low ball bid may be the best place to start. I am always leery of a boat for sale that has just had bottom paint applied.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:32   #28

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Taking on a project like this takes some real hard reflection and an honest look at your skills, lot's of people start them, very few finish.
If you have the room on your own property to store the boat while working on it you already have a leg up, having to pile all your tools into a car or truck, drive to a yard and then start working on it your going to have a long hard road ahead.
The boat your looking at has an excellent reputation for it's sailing abilities but it's still an old boat, if it hasn't been well maintained (a full time job in itself) the damage and issues you can see are just the tip of the iceberg.
What are your current capabilities?
What can you learn?
How committed are, or should you be committed? I have to cop to that one, I've taken on projects that scared most other people but I'm not all there.
How safe will you feel offshore considering the quality of the work and experience you have?
I will say this, I've had to go back and rip out work I've paid experienced "professionals" to do and then do it over so paying someone else isn't always the answer either.
If you do the work yourself then you know exactly what's under you and understand the systems intimately which has it's own advantages when your 3000 miles from anywhere.
There a really good design but just make sure you are very honest about the money it will take to get her back to good condition, in the end there only worth what a decent used boat is worth, going over the cost of one in good shape will not get any return.
Good luck either way, refurbing a boat can be frustrating, intimidating, and rewarding all at the same time, I think my elders used to call it "character building", they just didn't say what type of character.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 10:58   #29

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
I can do most of the work myself, and what I don't know I plan to learn. Both my fiancé and I are fine with getting our hands dirty. I have not YET seen the boat in person and am going off what the broker said needs to be repaired. I haven't priced things out yet, but I'm figuring on having to rebed ALL the deck hardware, rebuild the engine despite being told it runs fine (plan for the worst, right?), replace the sails, add refrigeration, replace all the electronics (with the exception of the radar if it works), replace the anchor windlass, add a wind vane and replace the standing rigging (again, told it was good but planning for the worst). From the photos I've seen she doesn't seem to be in bad shape, just in need of deferred maintenance (the PO hasn't even been aboard her in over a year). But again, I haven't yet seen her, so I don't know if she's one I should just walk away from (def would if the deck needed to be recorred, one job I want nothing to do with!) or if she could be a diamond in the rough.
Quote:
Actually, that's spread over the next 4 years, not 2. That's why I'm willing to consider a boat that needs a refit. But she's also not so bad that I can't use her till the refit is done. I plan to work a little, sail a little.
Still...I feel you're side-stepping my other points. I restore boats. My HR was in sad shape and it is a 35 that took me every bit of 2 years at 20 hours a week to do it. Rarely is there a girl I have ever met that wanted to stick that out. I have 30 years of f/g, wood, cabinetry, electrical and engine rebuilding experience. I have over $5K worth of tools just for boats. Hopefully you do to. Because if you don't it will cost 3 times as much to get her sea-worthy. If you still have your Pearson 35, why not enjoy it and save your money?
Look...I know what it's like to fall in love with an idea. But the reality will creep up on you really fast. I hate to be a nay-sayer but if you are not 100% prepared with the money at hand to do it, you may want to reconsider.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2013, 11:10   #30

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
You say this without ever seeing the boat in person. Photos only tell half and usually much less of the story.

I think your query here may be a little premature. You should first go see the boat and crawl around in every nook and cranny and take lots of high-res photos to review later.

I have purchased 3 boats and restored them. They were all in good to very good condition when purchased and I still spent thousand and some tens of thousands to restore them to my standards.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peterson