Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2015, 13:55   #1

Boat: Shannon Agean 51'
Kelly Peterson 44

I think I've decided on the last boat I want to own. I traveled to see one this week and Love a lot about this boat. Unfortunately, I don't know if this particular boat is right for me. I've searched online and on their owners org site and there don't seem to be many on the market. If anyone here has any opinions or suggestions about the KP 44 I'd really appreciate any and all info/suggestions. Even better would be any leads if someone sees any for sale.

I have perused all the articles on the owners site. Some known issues are all metal, potential rudder failure and tankage leaks/replacement. Tank replacement scares me most because of cutting up the cabin sole for access.

Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
emlesnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:14   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlesnick View Post
Tank replacement scares me most because of cutting up the cabin sole for access.

Thanks for any info!
You can have tank issues like that with lots of boats. I would rather cut a sole up than take cabinets and furnishings apart.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 14:21   #3

Guy-
From what I can tell it involves both

Old 15-11-2015, 15:44   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by emlesnick View Post
Guy-
From what I can tell it involves both
Bummer. I looked at buying one a long time ago, very nice. but just too much $$ at the time for one that was any good. If you buy one and take care of the crappy stainless and the tanks it would be nice.
I have to face the tank thing pretty soon. On one side the entire nav station with all the electrical will have to be moved.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 15:48   #5

Kelly Peterson 44

When I redid all the wiring in my current boat I labeled every wire with a labelmaker

Might be helpful when putting back the electric.

Old 16-11-2015, 09:02   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Islander 28

I lived aboard and sailed a KP44 in St.Thomas a couple of years ago. I found this boat to be, not only comfortable to live on, but also a pleasure to sail. Excellent layout for a sea boat with unusually good access from a maintanence and repair standpoint. Good sea manners and ergonomics; everything is where it should be and workable.
I deliver and sail all kinds of boats professionally and the KP44 is one that I can get excited about.
DrivinSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 09:26   #7

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

The reason you don't see many on the market is that owners tend to keep them and when they go on the market they sell very fast, unless they are completely overpriced for their condition, or just plain overpriced.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 22:49   #8

The KP 44 is a formable offshore vessel. Fantastic sea manners in all conditions. Cutter rigged. And most carry approx 1,050 sq ft of SA. They are not slow by any means.

Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 03:47   #9

They seem to have a fantastic reputation. Now if I can just find one I can afford to fix up

I'm hoping one will fall from the sky or somebody will walk by one at the dock thats for sale and remember "hey! I know of a guy looking for one of those!" My searches aren't turning much up.

One more question for those of you with more experience than I....cruising in the Caribbean....how much of a concern will that draft be?

Old 19-11-2015, 04:13   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A KP44 was on my short list as well, there is an owners group with lots of information on it.
I think it's here
Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 05:14   #11

Thanks a64!

I've been all over that owners site! There is great info there. It's really been helpful for me as far as estimating projects and upgrades.

Old 19-11-2015, 05:56   #12

There are boats with more Draft. I believe it's 6'4"
You may also consider the KP 46 or Peterson Formosa 46. I honestly like the changes made in the Formosa 46 as well as the layout better in F46 than the KP44

Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 06:03   #13

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

If the water tank under the dinette area (port side amidships as I remember) is leaking and the "holes" are pinholes in size, the tank can be repaired in place.

You cut a "window / access hole" on the starboard side of the tank and then coat the entire tank internals with Henry's Coal Tar. HCT is pretty thick and is both an excellent sealer and is also FDA approved for coating water tanks / cisterns.

You make up a couple of stainless plates with studs welded on one and bolt them together to re-seal the hole.

You whole repair process just takes a couple of days and costs around $250 dollars for the Henry's, the SS patches, gloves, brushes etc

If you need more details, send me a PM.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 06:08   #14

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions. I do like the look of the KP 46 and people rave about the improvements. Unfortunately, price seems to go up quite a bit.

It's an unusual place I've come to as far as boats/cruising. Ive totally refit a Tartan 34c, including brand new motor, electronics, etc etc. We love the boat. As a matter of fact if I speak of buying a different boat my kids will actually start crying at the thought of selling Wizard. But for a family of 5, with a 100lb German Shepherd. And the kids still growing. Its getting very tight down below. We find that we've reached the tipping point as far as our desire to cruise and use of the boat. We would take longer cruises (our longest this summer was 9 days) and further if we had a bit more space/convenience of a larger boat.

Buying a boat of lesser quality just isnt an option. I've put my heart and soul and my fair share of blood into this one and fully expect to do the same on the next. Even a KP with good maintenance and upgrades will need constant attention due to her age.

So until that winning lotto ticket comes in...or they start paying my wife what teachers deserve lol we are forced to stay budget conscience.

If not.....Is say a new Amel super Maramu!!!

Old 19-11-2015, 06:16   #15

Doug,

Wow thanks! Thats great to know!!

Ive never heard of that product before.

When I was looking at that KP44 It seemed like there wasnt even enough access to add an inspection port but Im sure theres a way! There always is with enough patience, money, and epoxy!

Tags
peterson