Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 22:01   #16

Re: Kelly-Peterson 44

It really is funny how boats and planes coincide. In the late 80s while living and cruising on my Peterson, a couple of friends and I bought an ultralight on St Croix and sailed it back to Antigua on the deck of a 42 foot ketch. It had wheels and floats, so my partner put it back together and promptly ran it into a fence in the boat yard. We then put it on floats and I tried to get it up on the step and scoot around the harbor. Boy was I dumb. After huge amounts of water over me and the controls, the plane finally got up on the step, and a 1/2 second later was flying. My first solo lasted about 10 seconds before a float tip dug in and I was upside down under water. It was not too scary, since I had fallen out of dinghys that were going faster than the ultralight, but all of the wires made coming to the surface a little hard. My partners came roaring out in a Zodiac, figuring that I was dead, but they found me siting on the upside down floats yelling SON OF A @#$%^&*. It was another 15 years before I got my pilots license and realized how dangerous I had been, but sailors are basic risk takers, so I guess I fit in. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 22:06   #17

Great story
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 22:14   #18

Celestial, yes I had to replace the bolts on the lower gudgeon. That was cheep and easy. Mine was the Stevens Yachts 44, which was the charter version that had 250 gallons of water. About 150 gallons would leak out of the tanks, and then you lived with 100 gallons, which was fine for me. And yes, they turned in good passage times. It also steered very well with the Aries DDW in heavy seas. Great boat. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 22:24   #19

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I've done some work on one. The bolts that go through the rudder gudgeon's have a tendency to corrode to almost nothing. Occasional blisters. The Iron tanks are a nightmare. And the seals on the ports go bad after time and lift the veneer on the insides of the cabin.
I disagree with Jim on the speed of them. They are a 44' boat with a healthy 38' waterline. The one I worked on did the milk run with ease.
Well, Peterson 44s have a PHRF around 140 or so... better than many cruising oriented boats but not so hot for a 44 footer. Doesn't mean that they are not competent cruisers, not at all, but I wouldn't call them fast for their size.

I didn't know about the gudgeon issue. AFAIK, none of my friends with 44s have had that problem... yet! Dunno if they know about it, and I hate to bring it up! They've had enough strife with the tanks!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-01-2014, 23:02   #20

Jim,
My experience with the Peterson 44 was that they made pretty good passage times with decent sailors. I just looked up the New England PHRF ratings and they rate 114 which is pretty decent for a cruise boat.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

KP44 Owners have an awesome website www . kp44.org/
Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:23   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Its funny what sailors have in common. We have a hangar full of motor bikes, cars and a light aircraft and we are gone for at least 5 years. Should think about returning soon and selling the lot of them but we made our decision to go cruising again at the last minute so had no time to do it. What engine is in the Maule 6 ? We have a Pacer which the Maule was patterned after.
IO-540, 235 Hp. Yes the original M4 was very similar to a Pacer, but they have evolved quite a bit since then, mostly wing length and engine size
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:25   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
KP44 Owners have an awesome website www . kp44.org/
Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome

I've been there, thanks. They do seem to have quite a following. See I'm torn between getting a starter boat to re-sell later, or going ahead and getting something that I can end up with as a cruising boat right from the beginning.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:03   #24

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've been there, thanks. They do seem to have quite a following. See I'm torn between getting a starter boat to re-sell later, or going ahead and getting something that I can end up with as a cruising boat right from the beginning.
I'd go with whatever makes your wife happy. If she'll be happier on a bigger boat that you can take cruising, go with that. Buying the wrong boat the first time can really sour someone on the whole experience.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:09   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
I'd go with whatever makes your wife happy. If she'll be happier on a bigger boat that you can take cruising, go with that. Buying the wrong boat the first time can really sour someone on the whole experience.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

I think that's what I'll end up doing. What she likes is a newer Hunter 356 or 386, and initially all we will be doing is fair weather coastal weekend type sailing as we are both still working. If we both enjoy the life style I plan on selling that boat in five years when I retire and buying a boat better suited for extended cruising
Old 05-01-2014, 07:36   #26

Your plan sounds like a good one. The lighter boats are much easier and quicker to sail locally and are plenty roomy with large galleys that the ladies like. Get in lots of sailing so you can be as opinionated as many on this forum because you will, LOL.
Old 05-01-2014, 13:28   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Jim,
My experience with the Peterson 44 was that they made pretty good passage times with decent sailors. I just looked up the New England PHRF ratings and they rate 114 which is pretty decent for a cruise boat.
G'Day RS,

While I agree that they can indeed post decent passage times, the National PHRF ratings source says that the P-44 ratings are: High=141, Low=126, Average=132. For comparison, the numbers for a Catalina 42 are 96-102-96, a Bene Oceanis 440 are 93-103-99, CSY 44 (not known as a flyer!) 135-135-135, and a CT 44 are 114-126-120.

So, my view is that while the P-44 is not slow, to describe it as fast seems a bit ambitious, even in cruising boat circles. The reasonably long LWL will indeed give good day's runs in the trades, and that is one important factor in a cruiser's performance. In less favorable conditions she will not shine so well.

Again, let me be clear: I think that the Peterson 44 is a fine cruiser, with good accommodations, reasonable performance, good looks for a CC design, and well worth consideration.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 05-01-2014, 20:44   #28

Jim,
I googled new england ratings but I may have gotten another peterson 44 as doug peterson designed lots of race boats so I'll go with your numbers as you seem to have done more homework than me.
Old 06-01-2014, 05:05   #29

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward

Have a look at the CSY 44
Old 16-03-2014, 15:28   #30

Boat: Kelly Peterson 44

PHRF numbers really don't apply in this regard. In a seaway the KP44 will do 180NM a day and remain very comfortable to live and do daily tasks. In light air they also perform very well. As far as age, you are going to have a hard time finding as well built of a boat as the Taiwan and Hong Kong cruising boats of the 70's and 80's.
Arcticsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peterson