Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 12:09   #1

Boat: in between boats
Keeping the Dream

As life continues to interfere the growth of my bank account and with my dreams of cruising, I am seriously considering compromising on the size of my next boat, and the extent of my cruising. Getting back on the water now before any anymore interference and set backs has taken precedence. For now cruising the left coast between S.F. and S.D. including the Channel Islands could very well make me happy for a long time. I know of a Newport 30 in So Cal that is "almost free". I know it needs alot of work and a repower. It has circumnavigated Catalina Island this last summer with a small outboard. The hull is in good shape, as are the sails. I am familiar with the cost of refurbishing, and rerigging and would be planning on doing it slowly with other sailors slightly used or discarded equipment myself. I see equipment all the time on craigslist and in "sailboat junkyards", that can be had for a fraction of chandlery cost. One thing though, I would like a good, dependable engine, I could rebuild one myself, but would be nice, since the boat is almost free, to install a nice new one. In CF members opinions, what is the best repower to replace a dead atomic four?
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:16   #2

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Keeping the dream

When my 3 year savings plan turned south durring the second year, I had to re-evulate my goals. What happens if I wait another 3 years? will something else just get in the way? What if I just used 1 years of savings? how far can i go?

Ultimately, I decided, life happens, stuff happens. The more time you spend saving/planning the more opportunity there is for your dreams to be thwarted unexpectly. Health issues, economy, job loss, whatever... Whats riskier for you? Waiting until the time is 'right', with the risk of the time never being right? or, starting now, at the risk of maybe not going as far as you would have liked?

Get a boat and start now. You won't regret it. I still dream of bigger boats and circumnavigations, that hasn't changed. But atleast TODAY I can go sailing, tomorrow I can head south, and next year? who knows...
Old 09-10-2011, 12:22   #3

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Keeping the dream

on a 30 foot boat like that, you can either find a cheap used atomic 4. Or just put an outboard on the transom.

But, I suspect there are better bargains out there. I don't know how much you can afford to spend, but I'm seeing boats for under $3k that have running motors and decent accommodation. Lots of good deals, you don't really have to settle for a 'project'. Just set you're max initial cost limit, and start shopping....