Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2013, 04:57   #16

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Keel Stepped Water Tight Sealing

Actually Spartight is fine with UV. They say you can paint it if you want, but they also say you don't have to. I haven't painted mine in it was installed 16 years ago. My step only rose up 1/2" from my deck so it was impossible to keep a boot in place. Do it once and be done with the problem for ever.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 05:11   #17

I may break down and get the spartite if it will solve the leak. I helped a friend with the spartite some years ago and seems like wax paper or maybe vasoline was used to keep the epoxy from from setting up against the mast ring so that mast removal was possible without destorying the spartite. If that's the case then I don't see how a tight waterproof seal can be obtained.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 06:36   #18

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
You can make your own mast boot from a truck inner tube and a couple of big hose clamps.
thats what i did. the deck fitting on my csy 37 is high and big around; none of the commercial boots would fit. so i bought a truck inner tube and got out the scissors and fashioned my own using large hose clamps. then i got some sunbrella to match my sail covers and fashioned a cover for the inner tube. you have to cover the inner tube because it definitely doesn't like sunshine. haven't touched it in ten years.

however, having read about that butyl flashing tape, i think i'll pick up a roll just in case...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 07:09   #19

Like another poster I have used material from an old wetsuit to make the seal and covered it with Sumbrella as neoprene isn't as sun friendly, worked for me on several boats but Spartiite has an excellent reputation but its more money of course
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 10:56   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

As I understand it, Spartite's real purpose is as mast partners... the bits that locate the mast in the deck penetration... not as a water barrier. The bond-breaker (vaseline, silicone grease, wax, whatever) allows mast removal which is likely more important to most buyers than water tightness. Some sort of additional boot is still required in most cases.

It does do an excellent job of locating the mast!

Jim
Old 22-11-2013, 18:14   #21

Boat: Corbin 39

As I understand it Spartite does both Keep the mast from moving in the partners, and keep the water out. You skeptics can keep wondering why your rubber boot leaks when your mast is moving around in the partners. The spartight motto is "Spartite keeps the mast up and the water out" It could be compared to putting a cork back in the bottle or covering it with saran wrap.

I just love how when I post that it has worked for me for 16 years, people who have never used it post how it can't possibly keep the water out. I've been in the marine business all my life and have never heard of anyone not happy with spartite. But most users are racers because most cruisers are to cheap to buy it.

When someone ask a question it would be nice if people didn't respond "as I understand it" without firsthand knowledge. I'm going to unsubcribe to this link now and hopefully OP will have checked out the spartite website for himself.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 18:58   #22

Boat: PETERSON 44
Still best bang for buck is well seated collar. Means bolts pass through epoxied holes and butyl caulk. Then self bond tape from roof center.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 19:51   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

So as I understand it, Spartight forms a seal around the mast where it passes through the deck. I see a couple of posts about the seal to the mast so am guessing there may be some issue when you have to pull the mast again? So what is the procedure with Spartight when it's time?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 19:53   #24

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Vaseline to keep it from bonding to the collar.