Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 09:36   #16

Re: Keel damage or not?

Rebedding the keel is not a "big job" and not too terribly expensive. I removed one keel bolt, went to the local hardware store and bought two bolts about 9 inches long of the same diam and thread pitch (the longer the better). With the keel supported, remove and inspect all bolts, replace the fwd and aft most bolt with the long bolts, only installing the threads an inch or so into the keel. Lift the boat and the keel will likely slowly seperate. The long bolts will ensure proper alignment once the job is done. Clean the hull and keel according to whatever manufactures goop you use. We used 5200. Apply said goop, drop boat and install fasteners and retorque. I think the who job only took three hours. Yes, tt's lift time. but I KNOW my keel bolts and joint are sound.
h2ojunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 10:53   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by langar27 View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I have attached some pics of the keel bolts and surface area around the bolts.

Like to know everyone's thoughts after now having both external and internal photo's.

Cheers everyone.
J.
One single photo of the inside area above 1/3 of your keel and little more, taken from the bow side and showing the mast base and the bilge area behind it towards the stern, would be preferable to the many photos. As the surveyor points out, the front part of your bilge is hanging. If the hull inside the boat is so clean as your photos show, then the problem is invisible because it is between there and the top of the keel. Unless you dig there or drop the keel you cannot find out what is hidden there below. I would pay serious attention to the surveyor's suggestion.
Good luck once again.
Ilias
UNQUOTE
iliasgeorgiadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 02:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliasgeorgiadis View Post
As the surveyor points out, the front part of your bilge is hanging.
What evidence is there for this please?

Quote:
If the hull inside the boat is so clean as your photos show, then the problem is invisible because it is between there and the top of the keel.
What makes you think there is actually a problem?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 02:52   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

Rosette that looks a bit bigger than a smile. More like a belly laugh I would say? I still say drop the keel and have a look. I think the OP knows this as well and is just trying to justify taking a shortcut and forgetting about it.
I know my insurance company would not stand by me if I said the keel hull join was fine.
The end of the day it’s the OP’s life and his conscience if the keel falls of and someone is hurt.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:43   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
Why the question? And why to me? I feel like you are accusing me. Another member said that and he is a surveyor. I shared same opinion with him and others judging from the keel's photo. It occurs to us all that there is a gap or it looks like a gap. A gap there, is or, if you like, may be, trouble ahead, in my experience, not in my opinion. That made me think there may be a problem. There is actually a problem is your own expression, not mine. I reverse the question. Can you say there is actually no problem? In my long sea life I learned to investigate any issue in my boat thoroughly until any doubt goes away and I can have a peaceful mind when at sea. The decision is to be made by the person we are all trying to help not by any of us. To drop and rebolt the keel is not a simple and inexpensive operation. The mast has to be removed before and reinstalled afterwards. Many suggested drop of keel, but noone pointed out this. This is an argument, wether there is or there is not a problem in our friend's boat is not. We all wish there is not. But he should not take it that easy.
Regards
UNQUOTE
iliasgeorgiadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 09:52   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I am not accusing you of anything, but you quote the surveyor and said "hanging" so I am curious what you mean or think he means by this.

Quote:
To drop and rebolt the keel is not a simple and inexpensive operation. The mast has to be removed before and reinstalled afterwards.
Why does the mast have to be removed on a deck stepped yacht?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 10:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by langar27 View Post
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

I have attached some pics of the keel bolts and surface area around the bolts.

Like to know everyone's thoughts after now having both external and internal photo's.

Cheers everyone.
J.
Those bolts look generally good.... but the problem is SS doesnt really show it's corrosion that much. The enclosed area, threads etc are where stagnant water may sit, the low oxygen water in there corrodes SS without a lot of noticeable evidence.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 10:52   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Pete
The problem is not "evidence" , it is that you don't know either way.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 18:31   #24

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
That sounds like a manufacturers testimonial as to don't buy my product.

Conyplex, who builds the Contest yachts, has been building yachts for 55 years and is doing better than ever. All boats are built to Lloyd’s certification. We have owned our boat for 22 years and have sailed more than 47,000 miles in the last 8 years with no major problems in a boat that’s 34 years old. Rather than saying ‘don’t buy my product’, I believe they’re offering a solution to a cosmetic problem. I believe your statement is wrong.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 08:33   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Conyplex, who builds the Contest yachts, has been building yachts for 55 years and is doing better than ever. All boats are built to Lloyd’s certification. We have owned our boat for 22 years and have sailed more than 47,000 miles in the last 8 years with no major problems in a boat that’s 34 years old. Rather than saying ‘don’t buy my product’, I believe they’re offering a solution to a cosmetic problem. I believe your statement is wrong.
You may be right. It would seem to me something is flexing at the keel joint.
That would make me uncomfortable even if it is said to be cosmetic, which it may be?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 10:40   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

Langar27, it does not really help to present photo's of the heads of the bolts - they are SS and show nothing. You need to pull your forward most bolt/s and examine it/them. Then torque them down and do the same inspection with the next . . . . and so on. Then make your decision.

Your first photo's of the exterior would really make me worried and justify pulling the bolts for a proper inspection.

John
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 12:11   #27

Boat: 1987 Ericson 38-200

Am I the only one who sees the corrsion/rust under the keel bolt heads and washers?
drewm3i is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, Keel damage