Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2018, 12:34   #1

Keel Damage

Hello everyone! I'm looking to buy a used Catalina 445. This will be our first sailboat. It has a fair amount of damage to the keel. Two people (with sail experience) have told me, "if you're a real sailor, you have hit bottom and a damaged keel is no big deal, and I wouldn't bother getting it repaired". However, I have yet to see a sailboat ANYWHERE that has unrepaired damage to the keel, so either no one is a sailor....or someone isn't being completely honest with me.
So....my question to you is this: does it need to be repaired, or should I just leave it alone because "I'm a sailor and it's going to get damaged anyway"?
PLEASE NOTE: I do not need to know HOW to repair it.....just looking for advice/opinions on if it really does need to be repaired. Also relevant to this situation.....there does not seem to be any other damage to the hull, just the dents in the lead keel.
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo0.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	169177   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	169178  

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	169179   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo3.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	431.2 KB
ID:	169180  

Name:	photo5.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	169181   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	169182  

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	169183   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo7.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	169184  

FLH91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:51   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Keel Damage

No problem. Easy repair. Anybody that's been anywhere has hit bottom!
Old 04-05-2018, 12:53   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’m not sure I would “repair” it. Sand smooth and paint, yes.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:55   #4

Boat: Norseman 447

I would fair it in. Just make sure there's no cracks up by the keel the hull joint!
Old 04-05-2018, 13:02   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Wouldn't worry about the damage to the keel but would be very concerned about possible damage to the hull at the keel connection. Could be no problem and then could be a major issue. Pull the floor boards and carefully look in the bilge. Better yet, get a good surveyor and tell him about the damage and your concern before he does the survey.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 13:41   #6

Boat: Sabre 34-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Wouldn't worry about the damage to the keel but would be very concerned about possible damage to the hull at the keel connection. Could be no problem and then could be a major issue. Pull the floor boards and carefully look in the bilge. Better yet, get a good surveyor and tell him about the damage and your concern before he does the survey.
Exactly. May not be a big deal, but if it was a hard grounding, that would be major $$ for repair.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 19:14   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Well that certainly doesn't look like it hit sand there are a few decent sized gouges there.
Old 04-05-2018, 19:54   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg4cocokai View Post
I would fair it in. Just make sure there's no cracks up by the keel the hull joint!
+1

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 21:08   #9
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLH91 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm looking to buy a used Catalina 445. This will be our first sailboat. It has a fair amount of damage to the keel. Two people (with sail experience) have told me, "if you're a real sailor, you have hit bottom and a damaged keel is no big deal, and I wouldn't bother getting it repaired". However, I have yet to see a sailboat ANYWHERE that has unrepaired damage to the keel, so either no one is a sailor....or someone isn't being completely honest with me.
So....my question to you is this: does it need to be repaired, or should I just leave it alone because "I'm a sailor and it's going to get damaged anyway"?
PLEASE NOTE: I do not need to know HOW to repair it.....just looking for advice/opinions on if it really does need to be repaired. Also relevant to this situation.....there does not seem to be any other damage to the hull, just the dents in the lead keel.
Thanks in advance!
Well, anything that is not fair on the wetted surface of a sailboat, should be repaired.

As others have mentioned, if you wish to buy this boat (because everything else appeals to you), advise the surveyor of the grounding and ask them to pay particular attention to any damage this may have caused.

If it was just a soft grounding on sand or mud that scraped some anti-fouling paint off, that would be considered minor, every boat is run aground some time in it's life.

But your photos indicate a hard grounding (rocks) that removed some serious metal. At very least, the hull / keel join and keel bolts should be checked.

If not OK, possibly requiring keel removal, structural fibreglass work, new keel bolts, etc. you could easily push over $10K

If OK, the cost for a yard to fair the keel should be less than $1K (with the boat already out of the water).
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 23:28   #10

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
This.

Get a serious survey and get the repair history in writing. Not sure if that model has a lead or iron keel, but I would be worried about damage to the keel/hull joint. It is a buyers market, plenty of undamaged boats out there.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 23:45   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
This.

Get a serious survey and get the repair history in writing. Not sure if that model has a lead or iron keel, but I would be worried about damage to the keel/hull joint. It is a buyers market, plenty of undamaged boats out there.
Indeed. Lead is very soft and with the momentum of tons of boat, even a little brush with something hard will do damage like that. No big deal at all, but others have given good advice about fairing it smooth, and being really sure about the keel bolts and keel to hull joint. But you would want to be careful with that even without visible damage.

Another tip - lead takes some care to prep and prime properly. I just did mine - look for the thread about it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 05:36   #12

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I read every word and I'm taking it all to heart. I have already sent the pics to the surveyor, I'll let you know what he says. Guess we'll see if I get this boat or not sometime soon. Again, I'll let you all know the outcome. Thanks again!! Great forum!

If you have any more thoughts on this, keep them coming!
FLH91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:47   #13

The gouges are easy to fix and no problem. The question to discuss with the surveyor is whether the keel bolts (they hold the keel to the hull) are OK. A hard grounding can break one or more keel bolts. This makes it more likely that the remaining bolts could give way in the future and the keel fall off. This causes the boat to immediately capsize. Obviously a bad thing.

The best way to check the bolts is to "drop the keel" but this is far beyond the scope of a normal survey.

It's likely you are fine but "keel bolts" are one of those things that the more experience you have with older sailboats the more you worry.

The Cheeki Rafiki and four professional crew were lost crew when the keel fell off due to unrepaired keel bolts from groundings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 2.50.35 PM.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	169259  
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:22   #14

Boat: Catalina 320

Catalina's MO is lead keels with 316 stainless J-bolts cast in, I'd have it faired, I like a smooth bottom.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:40   #15

Some pretty hard hits there but probably not an issue. However, make sure your surveyor looks closely at the hull fore and aft of the keel, as well as all tabbing of bulkheads and furniture to the hull. The stresses involved with hard grounding can cause cracking in those places. ( the hull flexes up behind the keel and flexes down forward of the keel, especially on thin built production boats.)
I managed a Cat 42 in charter. a Charterer hit a rock at 5- 5.5 knots in Puget Sound. The boat had to return to base. The engine bed, some cabinetry in the galley, had marginally torn loose from the hull when the hull flexed. ~$20k in damage. one hit. You have multiple hits there it looks like.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel