Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 10:58   #16

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Re: Kayak vs. Dinghy

Best of Both Worlds? I don't know why these aren't seen more often, but it makes so much sense, it divides the weight up, allows use of kayak, canoe, paddle board or small dinghy by itself and then when you want to carry loads you use the "trailer"Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180710_135345.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	173373
The trailer's blue behind the paddle board. And the green kayak is a child's kayak but it looks so small because it's farther away.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 14:46   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Yeah, I can see the typical aging cruiser on a SUP towing a kayak in 15-20 knot trade winds breeze and a moderate chop in the anchorage. 🤣
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Best of Both Worlds? I don't know why these aren't seen more often, but it makes so much sense, it divides the weight up, allows use of kayak, canoe, paddle board or small dinghy by itself and then when you want to carry loads you use the "trailer"Attachment 173373
The trailer's blue behind the paddle board. And the green kayak is a child's kayak but it looks so small because it's farther away.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 16:07   #18

Maybe you don't understand it's about 3 feet long. I would think a Sleek vessel Towing this would be just as easy to row or paddle then something wider carrying the load.
Old 10-07-2018, 16:30   #19

Boat: Scout 30

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/473rl
https://www.seaeagle.com/InflatableFishingSkiffs/FSK16
https://www.seaeagle.com/TravelCanoe/TC16
https://www.seaeagle.com/FishingSUPs/FS126
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 17:23   #20

Quote:
Maybe you don't understand it's about 3 feet long. I would think a Sleek vessel Towing this would be just as easy to row or paddle then something wider carrying the load.
Ive paddled SUPs and have friends who carry them aboard, but they can be more challenging as wind and seas pick up a bit.
Old 10-07-2018, 17:23   #21

Had to look up SUP. Don't you stand on all paddle boards? And I never recommended a paddleboard.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:34   #22

Samething, SUP is just the trendy term. Is that not whats in the picture that the guy is standing on?
Old 11-07-2018, 05:48   #23

Yes that's what's in the picture but I'm not recommending it. I'm recommending the little "trailer" that can be used with any paddle-rowing device. Or for that matter a small dinghy with a motor to give extra capacity with easy storeability. If I do this I'm going to get a Rubbermaid tote that can fit on it and keep everything dry. Maybe put some sort of railing for water jugs.
Old 11-07-2018, 06:19   #24

We've used our sit-in 12 foot kayaks on a couple trips. Downside is that when you want to go ashore and the waves are kicking up, getting REAL wet is a possibility. You see the bow of the yak poking into an oncoming wave and then you see a couple inches of water sheeting over the bow, knowing it's destined for your lap. Arrrgggh.

With a dinghy, you'll have days where spray is unavoidable, and that's annoying on a cold day, but getting soaked is unlikely.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:34   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those are interesting. Thanks for sharing the links.
I am impressed that the inflatables have much higher air pressure than typical inflatables, causing more rigid hulls.

Coincidentally, a few days ago I visited a big dealership/distributor for sit on style fishing kayaks and saw many different models up close, including “sea kayaks” and some inflatable “sit on” kayaks.

Most of them (most of the rigid hull fishing kayaks) look unsuitable for use on a sailboat, because they are bulky, heavy, cumbersome, and rigid plastic of some kind. They really need a trailer or a big truck to carry and I think would be too much trouble on a typical sailboat.

I think an inflatable makes more sense for a small to medium sized (up to 50’) sailboat.

Or a Porta-Bote. I still like them, because they can go fast with a small outboard, can be rowed easily, fold up and fit on the stanchion mounts etc. I also suspect they would be less prone to puncture damage and leaks caused by rocky landings.

What strikes me is that in almost all of the promotional photos, we see the kayaks (and SUP) used in very flat calm waters (often in a marina or small slough on a lake). As a sailor, I would be more interested to see their stability and suitability when used in some chop as when crossing a windy harbor or anchorage to get to a moored boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:35   #26

Quote:
Yes that's what's in the picture but I'm not recommending it. I'm recommending the little "trailer" that can be used with any paddle-rowing device. Or for that matter a small dinghy with a motor to give extra capacity with easy storeability. If I do this I'm going to get a Rubbermaid tote that can fit on it and keep everything dry. Maybe put some sort of railing for water jugs.
Misunderstood your intent...pic was of paddleboard towing. Give it a try. You may find it more of a pain than it appears.

If towing with dinghy + motor at any speed it will need something to help it track straight, like a skeg, otherwise it will carteen all about.

Ive towed other kayakers and used a sit-on-top kayak as a kayak towed supply barge in near coastal waters...tough going for any distance in any significant wind/seas, but across a protected anchorage would not be bad.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Those are interesting. Thanks for sharing the links.
I am impressed that the inflatables have much higher air pressure than typical inflatables, causing more rigid hulls.

Coincidentally, a few days ago I visited a big dealership/distributor for sit on style fishing kayaks and saw many different models up close, including “sea kayaks” and some inflatable “sit on” kayaks.

Most of them (most of the rigid hull fishing kayaks) look unsuitable for use on a sailboat, because they are bulky, heavy, cumbersome, and rigid plastic of some kind. They really need a trailer or a big truck to carry and I think would be too much trouble on a typical sailboat.

I think an inflatable makes more sense for a small to medium sized (up to 50’) sailboat.

Or a Porta-Bote. I still like them, because they can go fast with a small outboard, can be rowed easily, fold up and fit on the stanchion mounts etc. I also suspect they would be less prone to puncture damage and leaks caused by rocky landings.

What strikes me is that in almost all of the promotional photos, we see the kayaks (and SUP) used in very flat calm waters (often in a marina or small slough on a lake). As a sailor, I would be more interested to see their stability and suitability when used in some chop as when crossing a windy harbor or anchorage to get to a moored boat.
What's interesting about these is that they are using dropstitch technology. It's how they get very high pressures on ISUPs. I think this will be the future of inflatable boats. We recently got a couple of ISUPs. It's tough paddling into a strong headwind but if you sit down it gets really easy and because of their fins they track straighter than most kayaks. Unless it's really choppy you stay pretty dry because they're 5" thick.

https://www.seaeagle.com/RazorLite/473rl
Old 11-07-2018, 09:47   #28

Boat: Knysna 440

Where would you store your groceries and supplies that you're hauling back to your sailboat?
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:19   #29

We use waterproof backpacks and duffle bags.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:47   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestaralaskan View Post
Where would you store your groceries and supplies that you're hauling back to your sailboat?
SUPs typically have D rings & webbing on the bow and they can also be added to the stern.

Tags
dinghy, Kayak