Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2018, 10:24   #46

Boat: TY37, formerly Paceship PY26
Re: Just Starting Out - $5k 25-27' Boat Options?

I have bought two good boats in that size range for $3,000. PY26 and Catalina 27. Loved them both.

A key point in buying a complete boat, I believe, is to get one from someone leaving sailing--an elder owner, or whatever. Then, if you are not a jerk, they will empty out their garage for you. If someone is moving up, they will take their epirb, jackets, electronics, dingy....

It is so nice to take the first voyages with everything you need. After that and forevermore, maintenance and upgrades are a constant.

Enjoy!
Pat_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:18   #47

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
Arrow Re: Just Starting Out - $5k 25-27' Boat Options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
I'm looking at getting a boat. Something in the 25' - 27' range, and looking to spend about $5k. I've been watching the boat market daily for several months now and know that I'm dredging the bottom. The main job of the boat is not to scare away the wife and kids (4 and 6 yo), get them involved in sailing, and to cruise up and down the Columbia River for weekend trips.

With that said, out of the usual low priced suspects, which one is better? Hunter 27', Catalina 25/27', San Juan, Ranger, Columbia, Cal, etc?
I recommend H27 or C27. Do not get anything smaller, if you are taking a family of 4. Having said that you need to find an old well maintained boat to fit your budget. I am very familiar with the Hunters of the late 70’s early 80’s. I have owned an H 27 for 40 yrs. Very solidly built (Cherobini design). Not great on the race course, but very good in heavy weather. My boat will long out live me. Definitely make inboard power (ideally diesel) a priority. Whatever you spend on the boat, plan on at least 2k more (unless you find a sweetheart deal) to outfit it for safety and then comfort. Pay close attention to condition of the inboard and sails. A yacht survey, before buy is highly recommended.
psic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 04:26   #48

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by psic23 View Post
I recommend H27 or C27. Do not get anything smaller, if you are taking a family of 4. Having said that you need to find an old well maintained boat to fit your budget. I am very familiar with the Hunters of the late 70’s early 80’s. I have owned an H 27 for 40 yrs. Very solidly built (Cherobini design). Not great on the race course, but very good in heavy weather. My boat will long out live me. Definitely make inboard power (ideally diesel) a priority. Whatever you spend on the boat, plan on at least 2k more (unless you find a sweetheart deal) to outfit it for safety and then comfort. Pay close attention to condition of the inboard and sails. A yacht survey, before buy is highly recommended.
The problem here is his price range.

It will be very hard to find a boat near 27' for around $5,000 with a good inboard diesel engine. Mostly likely it will be a loud, leaky, smelly thing that will slow the boat down

Might be better to go with an outboard in the well or on a bracket depending on the type boat

http://www.atomvoyages.com/planning/...oats-list.html

From the link above:

My feeling is you should get the smallest boat that will suit your requirements rather than the largest boat you feel you can afford. A boat any larger than around 30-foot and 5 tons means significantly bigger, heavier, more expensive gear, higher maintenance costs and more labor to maintain and operate. Maintenance and equipment costs can double between a 28 to a 38-footer. An outboard motor under 10 HP is far less costly to replace and maintain than a diesel and provides adequate thrust for boats under 30-foot.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 12:52   #49

Bristol 27, I have one, great boat!
sonofasonofasailer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:06   #50

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofasonofasailer456 View Post
Bristol 27, I have one, great boat!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 10:52   #51

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft Sail Yacht 35'

Catalina 27!!

We just purchased one little more than a year ago for 2k. Atomic 4 was shot but they put a Honda 9.9 long shaft of the back and that little motor is awesome. It brought us from City Island through hell gate up the Hudson and over the Erie canal. Lost our steering cable along the way, had a small alcohol fire and drained the old battery. Thankfully we are handy and know how to Macgyver a situation. I will never forget that trip, it was one of the best times in my life!

She is a blast to sail 4' of draft and a good bit of space, our sails were kinda shot. Expect a bunch of crazing in the gel coat. Also not paying much doesn't get you so up tight about bouncing it off a dock or finding the lake bottom. Getting a boat that needs work will also give you a chance to learn and build maintenance skills that will save you a ton and give you some self worth.

Good luck!
miked40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 11:30   #52
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Pastor View Post
I have to sell my great Bayfield 25 as I am relocating to Scotland. Sadly, you are on the opposite coast as I am in Charleston ,SC. I would let "Wen-D" go for your price range as I am not looking to profit but quick sell.
That's a nice little boat. They were well built. If you want a bit of exterior wood, with a FG hull, these are very pretty.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat