Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 20:15   #46

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Just received first insurance quote. Wow!

By the way, coast guard limit for spill liability is $854,000.00 Hows self insured looking now?
Lets not even think about the cost of re-floating a submerged boat.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 21:45   #47

Try Geico, they were half what Boat US quoted me on $89000 boat just over $1000 premium
Bjooste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 03:25   #48

Boat: Columbia 8.7 (29')

do you own a home? if so you may be able to insure with that company under the homes policy. All State does that. or did that before Katrina.
patn44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 05:07   #49

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 Pilothouse Ketch

Here in Australia I pay $1450 for an agreed value of $195,000 with Club Marine (owned by Allianz Insurance) . This covers us up to 250 nautical miles form the Australian coast line. Of course going international is an additional cost. The USA premiums quoted seem high for what you are getting.
Johnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 06:30   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 45' C&L Marine Explorer Staysail Ketch w/ a center cockpit. www.SeaBirdSailingExcursions.com

We pay a little under $3,000 per year for insurance, but we do sailing tours off the coast of Costa Rica. She's insured for hull, liability and theft. When we first sailed Sea Bird down here, the insurance was close to $5000 per year but since we've had zero incidents in the past 7 years I guess that's why the annual rate goes down.

The boat and business were just listed for sale, by the way, about a month ago....we're number 1 on TripAdvisor and Sea Bird is a very unique boat....great turnkey opportunity.
Here is the DOC if you want more info - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
SeaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 06:38   #51

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Considering the legal and liability situation inside the boundaries of the USA I think that maybe the cost of insurance is high just like the cost of everything else here. In countries with more sane (I.M.H.O.) societies I would guess that the costs of insurance would be lower.
I have met world cruisers in my active cruising years that would not visit the USA because their insurance companies wanted a rather expensive "rider" to cover their stay in the USA.
However, in some countries the population simply has no concept of "suing" over any and everything so their even having insurance for their boats does not enter their minds. Of course, for those of us with large expensive investments in our boats going without insurance to recover the loss of the boat (especially if the boat is attached to a bank loan) is also inconceivable.
So like most things, there is a wide variety of opinion and needs when it comes to insuring our sometimes considerable investment. And I have observed many, many cruisers who have to pattern the extent of their cruising areas due to the dictates of the various insurance company policies or limits. Still there are so very many wonderful places to cruise in this world that such limitations can also open up opportunities to visit and experience areas where we maybe would not have gone.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 07:01   #52

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

BOAT US as mentioned previously. Price are good and they cover sticky things like fuel spills and recovery that could bankrupt you fast.

They are also are good at handling claims, unlike others.

Standard insurance companies may offer boat insurance, but is it the right coverage and can they be counted on if there is a problem?

Lotsa people learned the hard way in Sandy, but some relatives lost their boat, had BOATUS and the claim was handled so efficiently and so fast that they barely had time to get their personal effects off the boat when they were presented with a check and the boat was hauled away by salvors.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 10:03   #53

My boat is in Florida ....Insured for the same amount with Progressive and I pay $1200 per year.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
OnTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 13:10   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
My boat is in Florida ....Insured for the same amount with Progressive and I pay $1200 per year.

"the same amount" as what? What exactly is covered? Is there a deductable? Do you need to move for hurricane season? Dollar figures without specification are not really useful for comparison.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 05:32   #55

There's a lot more to it than just the value of the boat. What exactly the insurance covers also makes a big difference. Just liability? How much? $500k isn't going to cost as much a $5M. Hull value? Full replacement, including contents? Exceptions for named storms? High or low deductible? All these things matter.

But, as a general statement, $2600 for full coverage on a $69k boat sounds pretty reasonable to me. Especially given the hurricane risks where you are.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 06:14   #56

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbait58 View Post
The boat is valued at $69,000 on the insurance so no quarter of a million dollar boat.

Try "Seaworthy Marine Insurance" a Berkshire/Hathaway company with an AM Best's rating of A+. Our premium for a $105K agreed value policy is under $2k per annum with a 1% deductible (2.5% for a "Named Storm") with the yacht situated in the Tampa Bay area.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:58   #57

Boat: Conyplex, Contest, 48'

Thanks

fishbait58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance