Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 06:36   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Just for fun: Match the mono to the cat

A little while ago I posted a fun (at least fun to me) thread about matching catamaran brands to their equivalent car brand (Gemini = WV, Lagoon = Ford, etc) see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ar-141240.html for some fun discussion.

I am trying to learn more about monohulls. What, in your opinion, are the equivalent mono manufacturers to the following cats:

Gemini: Small, solid, under appreciated.

Lagoons/Leopards: Solid everyday car - not blue water, they say, except for the 100s doing it.

FP: Solid with a touch of performance - ok maybe blue water, they say.

Antares: Safe overpriced circumnavigator tank.

St Francis: Antares, but larger, faster, and less dated.

Alpha 42: They look cool, they are probably cool, no one I know owns one.

Privilege/Cantana: Performance with a touch of luxury.

Outremer: Pure speed. Who needs living space when you are going 15knots?

Atlantic: Better know how to sail it or it will flip.

Gun-Boat: Very expensive toy for Caribbean regattas and business meetings. Nice cult following. It will flip even with a pro crew .

yeah yeah I know, that's not a mono-- that's a chimp.
BlueBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:11   #2

Re: Just for fun: Match the mono to the cat

Well, I'm by no means a sailing cat expert, but aren't Geminis Hunters?

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Well, I'm by no means a sailing cat expert, but aren't Geminis Hunters?

Here is a nice piece on the history of Gemini's. http://geminicatamarans.com/portal/c...-Beginning.pdf

It looks like they partnered with Hunter in the late 2000s. And if Hunters are solid and unappreciated, then yes looks like Hunters are the monohull . I guess the one major difference is that Gemini's only have one size while hunters offer many.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:52   #4

Ya, I kind of like the idea of Geminis. It's reasonably possible that I would be able to afford a newish one in this life, any other cat, I think I'd be SOL.

FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:33   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

The Gemini's are now made by Catalina's. So maybe throw that in with Hunter.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:30   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBuddha View Post
Here is a nice piece on the history of Gemini's. http://geminicatamarans.com/portal/c...-Beginning.pdf

It looks like they partnered with Hunter in the late 2000s. And if Hunters are solid and unappreciated, then yes looks like Hunters are the monohull . I guess the one major difference is that Gemini's only have one size while hunters offer many.
Nice link, thanks!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 09:46   #7

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I was hired as captain on a 2012 Gemini. It was terrible. It had a low bridge deck that was constantly getting pounded by waves from under the boat. The forward visibility was looking through the aft and forward cabin windows, and there had to be something wrong with the steering because it felt like the wheel lock was on all the time. As with anything rent one before you buy if you can. If not able to rent make sure you do a good sea trial in as many different conditions as you can.
On the other hand it made me appreciate the FP 35 Tobago I had a few years ago. My favorites are the Catana for upwind performance and layout. I have chartered a 41, 44, and 47 in the Caribbean and have never been dissatisfied. Although once a cooling water hose did come off the starboard engine in ST Martin on a brand new boat. It seems it was a bit short and vibrated off. Lots of seam and noise but looked worse than it was.
Just an FYI I am now back on monohulls for my personal boat
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 14:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
I was hired as captain on a 2012 Gemini. It was terrible. It had a low bridge deck that was constantly getting pounded by waves from under the boat. The forward visibility was looking through the aft and forward cabin windows, and there had to be something wrong with the steering because it felt like the wheel lock was on all the time. As with anything rent one before you buy if you can. If not able to rent make sure you do a good sea trial in as many different conditions as you can.
On the other hand it made me appreciate the FP 35 Tobago I had a few years ago. My favorites are the Catana for upwind performance and layout. I have chartered a 41, 44, and 47 in the Caribbean and have never been dissatisfied. Although once a cooling water hose did come off the starboard engine in ST Martin on a brand new boat. It seems it was a bit short and vibrated off. Lots of seam and noise but looked worse than it was.
Just an FYI I am now back on monohulls for my personal boat
If you are unwilling to bear off a bit, they will pound in a short steep sea.

Why didn't you drop the rear windows? That's standard procedure and addresses the issue of looking thru two windows. In all but the worst conditions, no rain or spray will go in thru the open rear windows. Up half way usually takes care of it, if conditions are really bad.

If you can't steer easily with a single finger, something is wrong that needs to be corrected.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 15:00   #9

It is simple, just depends on what you want. I'd like a cat for living and moderate weather, a tri for most conditions but a nasty blow a well ballasted mono that would come back after turtling. Just my HO.
Old 12-05-2015, 14:26   #10

I see catamarans as boats with training wheels. Maybe one day you can take the training wheels off and sail monohull. Catamarans are akin to wanting to go sailing but not leaving your condo. As such, your comparison should be catamarans to RVs, as opposed to cars. As for monohulls, you can compare those to cars and maybe pick up trucks.
Fire away. I have thick skin.
[emoji569]️there's no emoticon for cats. Things that make you go hmm.
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:42   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach.80 to 8Kts View Post
I see catamarans as boats with training wheels. Maybe one day you can take the training wheels off and sail monohull. Catamarans are akin to wanting to go sailing but not leaving your condo. As such, your comparison should be catamarans to RVs, as opposed to cars. As for monohulls, you can compare those to cars and maybe pick up trucks.
Fire away. I have thick skin.
[emoji569]️there's no emoticon for cats. Things that make you go hmm.
Not an uncommon thought for those who haven't sailed enough on cats! You will probably get howls, leading to thread drift, which may be your purpose. I understand....for twenty odd years, I also thought anyone on a cat was dangerous and borderline lunatic. Then I saw two friends get cats that did amazing trips. So I tried cats....and the rest is history. It's often those who have long ago thrown away all the training wheels who shift to cats, without looking back, except at the monohulls they used to sail, not the other way around as you suppose. Include me in that number.

You have only to look at the two cats streaking way ahead of the rest of the fleet in the currently happening ARC Atlantic rally to see my point. Or the most recent America's Cup. Or almost any meaningful sailing record, including the toughest ones set in the Southern Ocean.

There are compromises in all boats and types of boats, cats included. There are legitimate complaints and comments. But training wheels? That is such an absurdly preposterous assertion that I almost didn't reply, I was laughing so much!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 16:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Not an uncommon thought for those who haven't sailed enough on cats! You will probably get howls, leading to thread drift, which may be your purpose. I understand....for twenty odd years, I also thought anyone on a cat was dangerous and borderline lunatic. Then I saw two friends get cats that did amazing trips. So I tried cats....and the rest is history. It's often those who have long ago thrown away all the training wheels who shift to cats, without looking back, except at the monohulls they used to sail, not the other way around as you suppose. Include me in that number.

You have only to look at the two cats streaking way ahead of the rest of the fleet in the currently happening ARC Atlantic rally to see my point. Or the most recent America's Cup. Or almost any meaningful sailing record, including the toughest ones set in the Southern Ocean.

There are compromises in all boats and types of boats, cats included. There are legitimate complaints and comments. But training wheels? That is such an absurdly preposterous assertion that I almost didn't reply, I was laughing so much!
It's personal preference the stone throwing is juvenile. I'm a fruitcake I like tris.. Never had a cat but have had a mono. I loved my Piver over the Sunrunner but that is just me. I'd probably like a cat? I guess watching the yacht club bunch putting up the balloons and walking away from them with a 130 genie was fun. The problem with multihulls is don't pitch pole them again is a mono coming back up? You just have more area to hang onto with an upside down multi..
Old 12-05-2015, 16:55   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Blue Buddha ,

I found your original question interesting and amusing too.

I tried to answer with some monos, but I think the categories and descriptions are skewed to cats.

I think there are many more types of monos and fewer distinctions among cats.

So I gave up trying to fit the monos to your cat categories.

Still, it did get me thinking.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 17:19   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post

Laughing so much...indeed. Makes me smile when I read that. You should laugh and not take life too seriously. Never sailed a cat. Been on board a few. Even checked out the latest and greatest at the Southampton boat show last year. I couldn't get off them fast enough. It is a condo on pontoons. Sure it goes fast...

Cat's and speed records and the Americas Cup.. the closest I will ever get to that is the photo below,

What's that Grateful Dead line? "You want the cup but you don't want to race."

Yes that a Louis Vuitton box and it travels in it's own seat in first class.

I do my share of going fast. When I'm on a boat, I want to chill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	101987  
Mach.80 to 8Kts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 17:30   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Blue Buddha ,

I found your original question interesting and amusing too.

I tried to answer with some monos, but I think the categories and descriptions are skewed to cats.

I think there are many more types of monos and fewer distinctions among cats.

So I gave up trying to fit the monos to your cat categories.

Still, it did get me thinking.
Yes. This is the take I get from those I've talked to about this. How about a more straight forward one. What are the stereotypical monohulls brands associated with 1) mass production charter bound 2) mid range bw cruiser 3) high end bw cruisers. thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
fun