Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2009, 01:51   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Jon (or John) Sayer yachts

Hello all, I have just spotted a Jon (or John) Sayer 39 footer (8 years old I think) for sale in Adelaide. Boats of this size and price are a bit rare around here, so I thought I'd have a look at it. But I don't seem to be able to find out much about the make or model.

Does anybody know much about them?

We are looking for a reasonably seaworthy cruising boat with blue water ability, speed is not as important as comfort, and though we have all but settled on looking for an Adams 40 around 20 years old for our budget, being in Adelaide reduces the options a bit. Is this worth a look? I don't want to waste the broker's time.

Thank you,

Matthew
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 04:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I believe that Jon Sayer is more noted for his high-performance designs, than for comfortable cruisers.

See his C-116 11.6m performance cruiser

Jon Sayer, Mooloolaba, Queensland, Australia
Tel: 61 (0) 7 5478 2720
Mobile: 61 (0) 409 016 638
E-mail: jon@sayerdesign.com
Web: Sayer Yachting Services

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 04:37   #3

Yes, that was the impression I got from his web site also.

But the 39 footer for sale has a length to beam ratio of close to 3:1, which puts it pretty firmly in the volume and comfort band from my understanding of such things.

Maybe he was trying his hand at something new, or maybe it is another builder altogether. It would not be the first time I went to visit a boat in Adelaide that was being advertised under completely the wrong builder/designer name. Very frustrating.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 09:41   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Jon Sayer designs

G'Day,

Well, we own a Jon Sayer design and love it. Despite his reputation as a race boat designer, he has done a number of cruising designs... admitedly high performance types. We've done about 35K miles in her over the six years we've owned her, and find her to be a good sea boat in general.

This boat was built in Western Red Cedar strip plank by Gary and Sue McAulay in Noosa, and was launched in 1990. GAry is a master shipwright, and they built her for their own use. Cruised for 8 years, going first to Japan, then the Aleutains, Alaska, Canada, west coast to the canal, a few years in the Caribe and then back to Oz again. We've continued to cruise in her...

Insatiable II is 46'4" LOA, 44'8" LWL, 13'10" beam, 7'2" draft and empty weight around 9 1/2 tonnes.

I'd be happy to answer any queries if you wish.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-05-2009, 06:28   #5

Boat: Sayer40 Shilo
Send a message via MSN to pulyajibon Send a message via Skype™ to pulyajibon
I am also trying to find info on E Sayer in New Zealand. He is or was a boat builder. Any info would be helpfull
Thanks
Old 11-10-2016, 00:30   #6

Boat: Sayer13, 13 meters hull
Re: Jon (or John) Sayer yachts

Hi

In 2007 i bought siren (ex sayernara) winner of the oasaka cup.
I then refitted her in the phillipines . Bedrooms, hot water, aircon, generator ect...

She is still fast. Fully loaded with supplies. I have done 100k+ miles with her. Very comfortable. She just glides . My last boat a heavy cruiser was way less comfortable. Not to mention light winds.

Sayer is a great designer. His boats are not cheap but there is a reason.

If you can.. Grab a sayer

Cheers
Bcoianiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 00:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcoianiz View Post
Hi

In 2007 i bought siren (ex sayernara) winner of the oasaka cup.
I then refitted her in the phillipines . Bedrooms, hot water, aircon, generator ect...

She is still fast. Fully loaded with supplies. I have done 100k+ miles with her. Very comfortable. She just glides . My last boat a heavy cruiser was way less comfortable. Not to mention light winds.

Sayer is a great designer. His boats are not cheap but there is a reason.

If you can.. Grab a sayer

Cheers
G'Day Maate, and welcome to CF!

As a fellow Sayerite, I'd love to know a bit about yours. I vaguely remember the name, but nothing about the boat. We've seen or been aboard a number of his designs, and they all have interesting features. A designer too little recognized IMO.

Jim
Old 11-10-2016, 03:16   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Maate, and welcome to CF!

As a fellow Sayerite, I'd love to know a bit about yours. I vaguely remember the name, but nothing about the boat. We've seen or been aboard a number of his designs, and they all have interesting features. A designer too little recognized IMO.

Jim

Oh how rude of me. I am very sorry Jim, for some reason I never saw your original and helpful reply to my original post until this thread was revived.

It was a long time ago that I was looking at the Sayer in Adelaide. I cannot remember a lot about it but if pressed I would say it was a pilot house design with a rear door into the aft deck and, surprisingly, a walk in shower opening onto the rear deck also. Most unlike any other Sayer design I could find.

To this day I really wonder if the broker got the designer wrong but if that description fits any Sayer design you know of I would be very interested to know.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 11-10-2016, 03:31   #9

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Hi Matt, I think Jon Sayers father Ed also designed and built a lot of cruising boats. Many (most?) Were well built out of ferro cement. Prehaps it was one of his designs?

Jons first bigger boat was a fast cruiser racer out of concrete called floating footpath. Did real well in the singlehanded transtasman. His designs always impressed me as being good examples of the type.
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/PROFI...ER.-a066918227
Old 11-10-2016, 03:42   #10

Boat: Sayer13, 13 meters hull

Hi

Sure. She is 13mt, beam 3,8, draft 2,7. 7,2 tons with all the extras.

She will do wind speed if not more up to 8 knots without a kite. With 20knts she goes 13/15 sitting flat. I have got her sailing at 19 knots for three hours. Loaded with scuba tanks
You can check what i did with her interior and exterior.

Check out this listing on Airbnb! https://airbnb.com/rooms/12104061?i=...a5cd2bf1bed62d

Or siren samui regata on you tube

Siren sirena facebook

Unfortunately i have put her up for sale as i am moving to north europe with a five year contract.
She is on jon sayers web site

Cheers
Bcoianiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:49   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bcoianiz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 04:58   #12

It probably would not have been ferro, given it was only 8 years old in 2009, (also I would never have looked at buying a ferro).

It was an unusual boat, but nice enough. Not sure why we let it go though. It is possible it was sold before we could make up our minds. By the sound of things it would have been popular with people who understood the pedigree.

Old 11-10-2016, 13:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Oh how rude of me. I am very sorry Jim, for some reason I never saw your original and helpful reply to my original post until this thread was revived.

It was a long time ago that I was looking at the Sayer in Adelaide. I cannot remember a lot about it but if pressed I would say it was a pilot house design with a rear door into the aft deck and, surprisingly, a walk in shower opening onto the rear deck also. Most unlike any other Sayer design I could find.

To this day I really wonder if the broker got the designer wrong but if that description fits any Sayer design you know of I would be very interested to know.

Matt

No worries, Matt! I don't think I've seen any Sayers with a pilot house, but he will draw what the customer wants, I think. Our boat was initially drawn with a centerboard, because the McAulays were planning some time in the Caribe. He didn't want to do that, but did under duress. It was not very successful, and when Gary and Sue reached Canada, they replaced the keel/c/b structure with a "proper" fin keel, which improved the sailing qualities immensely. But still, a pilot house???

Jim
Old 11-10-2016, 13:31   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcoianiz View Post
Hi

Sure. She is 13mt, beam 3,8, draft 2,7. 7,2 tons with all the extras.

She will do wind speed if not more up to 8 knots without a kite. With 20knts she goes 13/15 sitting flat. I have got her sailing at 19 knots for three hours. Loaded with scuba tanks
You can check what i did with her interior and exterior.

Check out this listing on Airbnb! https://airbnb.com/rooms/12104061?i=...a5cd2bf1bed62d

Or siren samui regata on you tube

Siren sirena facebook

Unfortunately i have put her up for sale as i am moving to north europe with a five year contract.
She is on jon sayers web site

Cheers
Thanks for that, BC. Sounds like a nice boat. Is she strip plank or foam, and did he build her himself? Probably so... I think he has built all his own personal racers.

Ours is not as racy in concept, and has a fairly luxurious fitout as well as all our worldly possessions aboard, but still sails quite well by cruising boat standards. Personal max of 15.7, without a kite. We, being old farts, only use our big masthead kite as a light air sail, so haven't done the really big numbers. Have done 200 mile days at sea, short handed and fully loaded... but it is a lot of work so not often achieved! There are a few photos in my profile...

I hope that you find a buyer who will appreciate her qualities!

Jim
Old 11-10-2016, 16:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
.... But still, a pilot house???

Jim
I think Snowpetrel has it right, it must have been one of the father's boats. The more I think about it, the more I think there is no way a 9 year old boat would have been in our budget at the time. We were looking at 20+ year old boats and not because we wanted something old for the sake of it.

It would have been bloody typical of that broker to get the year wrong AND the designer wrong. As I noted earlier, we got very frustrated by visiting boats that were simply NOT what the broker said they were.

It was vey refreshing to head up to Sydney and look at boats that were correctly advertised.