Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 09:57   #1

Boat: '66 Morgan 24/25
Jersey to Florida Keys in January?

I've been asked to join a friend as crew on his Morgan 41 O/I ketch. I'm in the keys where its nice and warm, and he is in New Jersey. He thinks we can do it in two weeks. As much as I hate my toes'z being froze'z, I'm excited about it. But is the time frame doable, at that time of year?
Shonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Jersey to Florida Keys in January?

Doable but at some risk for getting kicked by a strong Nor'easter, what we seen in FL as a cold front or Norther.

Trying to do it on a tight schedule is asking for trouble. In Jan the fronts can role through pretty frequently and the first leg of the trip will have to be in the ocean unless the boat is in far south NJ around Cape May. No way to go inside until you reach Delaware Bay. Otherwise, you will need to wait in NJ until you get a break in the weather long enough to get you to Delaware Bay. From there you can stay in reasonably protected waters until you enter the ICW in Norfolk.

Also bring warm clothes.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10   #3

I have done the icw running sun up to sun down about 6-7knts always takes around 20 days that time of year . Of course outside 24hrs will be less Not sure how much fun That is to hollywood , figure 2 more day to key west
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have done the icw running sun up to sun down about 6-7knts always takes around 20 days that time of year . Of course outside 24hrs will be less Not sure how much fun That is to hollywood , figure 2 more day to key west
Sounds about right. It took me 14 days running a similar schedule to get from CT to Jacksonville. That included three legs on the outside running overnight.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:24   #5

springtime is less days as days are longer Either way, after 4 round trips always around 185-195 hrs running time Upper chesapeake bay to ft lauradale
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:40   #6

Just the feedback I was looking for! Much appreciated! So, dress warm of course, and plan on taking a month possibly. As far as the particulars are concerned, I haven't a clue, and I don't mind one bit. Adds to the adventure. Just needed more beta before I start making arrangements. If anyone still has feedback or advice they would like to add, i will be glued to this thread. Mostly because it's my only one so far...
Old 06-10-2012, 13:00   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonny View Post
If anyone still has feedback or advice they would like to add, i will be glued to this thread. Mostly because it's my only one so far...
Now that most of the useful stuff is out of the way ,...........I will just mention that when I first saw the thread title I got all excited!.......and started pondering through how I was going to invite myself onboard a boat going somewhere warm in January .

and then I discovered that I was on the wrong continent . Sounds like we share the same cr#ppy weather though!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 13:06   #8

Sailing a sailboat on a "schedule" is simply asking for trouble. What two weeks? Why?

The Great Loop Association has "timetables" for running the ICW. If you're inside and it's winter, the days are shorter, right? Do the math on distances. There are so many, many, many blogs on this trip that I wonder why anyone asks this question anymore.

Winter weather has always been winter weather. Wanna get hammered? Then sail offshore. In January.

Sorry to be so negative, but common sense would seem that one could do the math on distances (1500 miles (or more ?) at 5 knots for only 6 hours a day) and understand weather after looking at weatherunderground or NOAA for about an hour.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 13:07   #9

Crappy weather is crappy weather is crappy weather. I'm typically a fairweather daysailor. This trip will be a personal shakedown of sorts, giving me a better idea of where I stand as far as making longer voyages with the wife on our boat. She'll be making the trip as well, in january.
Old 06-10-2012, 13:11   #10

And as far as timetables.... Thanks! I didn't know there were timetables, or where to find them if there were.
Old 06-10-2012, 13:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I left Atlantic Highlands, NJ (NYC area) on my Morgan 41 exactly one month ago with 24 traveling days out of the 30 and averaging a little less than 5 hours a day underway. This slow man's casual cruising has me now located in Georgetown, SC. It's easy to project that, if I were moving for 10 hours a day I would have reached this location in 12 days instead of 24 and I would still be almost 800 miles from Key West. The two week trip from NJ to Key West is not a practical plan unless offshore for overnights and January weather doesn't make that appealing. Now, I am aware that most people are more destination oriented than I and some would welcome the challege. My trip from New Jersey to Key West usually takes me about ten weeks at best! ......'cruising as a "cockpit potato"!
Old 06-10-2012, 14:41   #12

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Shonny, Stu's advise is the best you have received so far. Two weeks puts you on a schedule that will cause people to do stupid things. Gale conditions in January can come up suddenly and if you are in the wrong place can be downright dangerous. We have seen almost springlike conditions in January in the mid Atlantic and we have sat in one spot waiting out weather for almost two weeks. I personally would never begin a voyage that has a set schedule, especially that time of year and in the north Atlantic. Even the ICW route can be weather dependent. What happens if the schedule it not met? Who decides if conditions are safe for a passage and is it logically thought out or based on the schedule? IMO it's just too tight. Once your offshore you can' ask to be dropped off at the airport so you can go home. But that's me. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 15:15   #13

I'm more concerned with how long I'll be out and what to expect, than I am with getting home. The boat will actually be our home during the trip since our Morgan will likely get hauled when we leave.
Old 06-10-2012, 15:41   #14

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I am not sure what your cold weather experience is, being from Florida, but if you have to do the overnight passage down the Jersey shore, it is going to be colder than you could ever imagine. Don't be afraid to pack many layers of clothes to wear at night, including ski hats and gloves.
Paul Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 16:09   #15

I'm not from florida at all. I grew up in Maryland on the water, and my wife grew up in Alaska. So as far as cold and wet is concerned, we're not as daunted as some might be.

Tags
florida, january, jersey, Keys