Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2014, 20:08   #1

Boat: 1984 34 Oday
Jerrycan Storage on Deck?

Any different ideas about this? Or on deck .... Lol
justjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 20:42   #2
cruiser

Re: Jerrycan storage one deck?

I'm hoping to increase my tankage and do away with my diesel Jerry's but will still need to have a couple on deck with gas for dink/gen. Water Jerry's go in the pilot house, I just need to cram some extra volume below deck somewhere. I thought long and hard about epoxy hull tanks but working under the pilot house sole in tight quarters would be rough. The twin rectangle tanks are sitting on a self that's hallow underneath, if I didn't have to do the whole thing on my knees I would frame them right in with the hull as one side. It would almost double the size. When I got the boat I put new poly 32 gallon tanks on each side.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 22:32   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
Not sure exactly what you're looking for. Are you wondering about placement? That's really a function of your deck/rig configuration and what the resulting best place to put them where they are secure and also out of the way of running rigging.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 00:02   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjohn View Post
I can tell you this, install a 3/4" X 4" lee board between two stanchions somewhere they are not in the way. And use that to secure your jerry cans. And make sure the caps can't come off if lines or other things rub against them.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I can tell you this, install a 3/4" X 4" lee board between two stanchions somewhere they are not in the way. And use that to secure your jerry cans. And make sure the caps can't come off if lines or other things rub against them.
I use pressure treated 2X4. You can see the set up in this video.

I use garden hose to prevent chafe and wear.

jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:30   #6
cruiser

Many people I see use non-wood deck materials, comes in different colors, no maintenance, about 3/4"x 6".
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:34   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Mine are similar to Jackdale's except I used Trex decking material so I don't have to paint or varnish. Two u-bolts of the proper size secure them to each stanchion. Webbing straps tie the Jerrycans to the boards and my wife made fitted covers from Sunbrella to protect them from UV. I carry two for gasoline and two for diesel. Could add two more for water. Don't know if the Trex will hold up in the long run. It is more flexible than solid wood and I'm not sure how it will take the impact load from a heaven wave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:30   #8

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Darn ! You beat me to it. Planks are great.

Perhaps I can add a little. You want some kind of plastic or rubber mat under the cans to protect the deck. Don't mount the planks on the beam but put them somewhere aft of there. One day you'll bury the gunwhale and be glad you did this.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:44   #9

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I use a 2x6 piece of pressure treated fastened to two stanchions with U bolts. It can also be used as a fender board if needed. (handy if you ever need to go through locks or tie up to a rough bulkhead)

Another thing that makes it MUCH easier is to attach the jerry cans to the board with ratchets. I got some good ones from a trucker supply site on line. Much cheaper if you buy yourself a roll of 1 inch webbing and make up your own ratchets with the hardware you can buy online. I went with a site that claimed their hardware was "impervious to road salt". So far so good two years later which included a trip to Bermuda and back as well as lots of sailing around Chesapeake Bay, down to NC, etc.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:58   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

A bit fancy and over the top but I have seen where someone used bimini hardware, i.e. tubing, elbow joints, and such to make brackets that attached to the lifeline stanchions. For myself, poor boy that I am, I've just used wood much as the others have described.

Rich

Edit: Hmm, now that I think on it, perhaps a single stainless tube between two stanchions would not only work, but look good.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00   #11

Mine fit between the chainplates on my boat. I set it up as shoen above with a board and lattice of line. I guess maybe you need them for a crossing of the Pacific or something. But for alot of cruising, sailboats already have too much tankage with the diesel going old....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:16   #12

One of the dangers of carrying gasoline on deck is , gasoline will soften and release many kinds of calking so that over time that small amount of gasoline leakage will penetrate into the hull causing a giant explosion similar to an atomic bomb , maybe .
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:39   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

nope don't do it or want to do it == to us more stuff on deck that could cause problems -- i know i am in the minority - probably a minority of one -- but we added a 50gal diesel tank and a water maker and we have 2 50 gal water tanks -- just so we did not have to put stuff on the deck

having not been in the pacific i guess that would be the only place you would need them -- i saw a lot boats in the carib with a lot of stuff on their decks and in general there were very few places where you could not get gasoline or diesel -

as an aside we did carry 5 cans of diesel in cockpit lockers but never on the deck when we crossed the atlantic and we used about 20 gallons of diesel in the crossing and had 117 gallons on board
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:45   #15

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
nope don't do it or want to do it == to us more stuff on deck that could cause problems -- i know i am in the minority - probably a minority of one -- but we added a 50gal diesel tank and a water maker and we have 2 50 gal water tanks -- just so we did not have to put stuff on the deck

having not been in the pacific i guess that would be the only place you would need them -- i saw a lot boats in the carib with a lot of stuff on their decks and in general there were very few places where you could not get gasoline or diesel -

as an aside we did carry 5 cans of diesel in cockpit lockers but never on the deck when we crossed the atlantic and we used about 20 gallons of diesel in the crossing and had 117 gallons on board
+1

I want less stuff on deck, not more. If I really felt I needed more storage I would add some permanent tankage below the deck.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, storage