Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2008, 07:39   #1

Jenneau 42 Sun Odyssey Performance

Hi Guys
I am a newbie here so I hope I am posting in the place, I have a question to anyone who has / is racing a Jenneau 42Sun Odyssey Performance. The boat is eight months old and I cant really complain about anything other than under sail on a port tack we can normally get 8.5 / 9 knots but on a starboard tack we can at best manage 6 / 6.5 knots.
Has anyone else experienced the degree of imbalance? Has anyone got any solutions (apart from get a real race boat)
Any help, experience or guidance would be much appreciated.
TARANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:09   #2

You should be about 8.5 upwind on both boards. My guess? The speedo is not aligned properly.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 08:25   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Many reasons that this might be including rig isn't tuned right and keel being off center or not faired properly. Use the gps and see if the speedo is correct on both tacks first then check the rig then look at the keel.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:22   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I have a 43DS and noticed similar results - which sucks in that the faster tack is when you don't have right of way. I haven't confirmed the actual speeds with a GPS yet and the rig tuner I had scheduled once didn't show up. I did measure later mast alignment with the spinnaker halyard and the mast is true and the shrouds all have similar tension (I didn't use a Loos-gauge, just manual testing). I haven't tested to see if the bottom of the keel is plumb - I'll do that next time. Perhaps the GPS will confirm that the speeds are good but the sensor is misaligned. I hope that is the cause.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:17   #5

Thank you for your replies,

I had the rigging looked at again all OK, had the keel looked at all OK, speedo all working fine. went for a quick sail and the same thing almost a knot and a half slower on the starboard tack. don't figure I know but the water tank layout and the fuel tank position they are not center, I feel may be affecting the speed.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Did you measure the speed with a GPS or the boat's instruments?
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45   #7

Gotta believe it's instrumentation/calibration. Maybe check vmg and sog with your gps on both boards?
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:58   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
It will be the postioning of the log impellor more than anything else. Invariably invariable keel casting flaws / rig tension etc will make anyone see minor differences on each board, but the variance you mention are simply too great to blame only those.

And 8.5 knots upwind as a goal???? If you do actually achieve the suggested 8.5 knots upwind in a 42 foot Jenneau suggest you consider putting you hand up for America's Cup trimming / helming.

No normal person could achieve those speeds in a 42 footer - not truly hard on the wind.

JOHN
Old 13-10-2008, 06:10   #9

Hi Swagman
Thanks for the reply, the next time you’re the Canaries give me a shout and we can go for a blast.