Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2012, 10:02   #31

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

That'll redefine prop walk
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 10:41   #32

Boat: (none)

Drilith,
Now that it's been a year since your decision, was it the right one? I just returned from a boat show and the Jeanneau Dealer STRONGLY discouraged me from 360 Docking. He said they 'forgot' to weather-seal it and when (not if) it gets wet the electronics fail. (not sure if he knew what he was talking about or not tho!)
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:18   #33

Hi Farmall

one year have passed and more than 6000 miles sailed. i have gained a lot of experience with the system in which i will gladly share with you.

Firstly the docking system is an amazing system, (though i have not tried the others in the market) Jeanneau's system is working very well, you can sail sideways in winds up to 15 knots.

But the system also has it faults.

During operations there nothing bad to say about the system. but I have had my headaches with this system in other ways several times during my trip, but luckily i have never had any problems during an actual maneuver in harbor. The problems all seems to occur 3-4 hours into a cruise with the engine.

i have had technicians on the boat more than 5 times now and they have changed all possible spare parts at least once. In the beginning the control box was not water tight which caused a big problem, but this was a quick and easy fix and i have not had any problems with the box since. (Maybe this is what the dealer was referring to at the boat show?)

Once i get an error the clutch cannot engage and the main saildrive is not working, even you are not using the docking system. this mean that when you are not in gear the prop is actually turning around in low rep. After a reset from the technician it will work again but then it have happened again and again and everytime they try to change a new sparepart.

My personal believe is that this has something to do with the ignition, which i have just changed this myself.

i now have 2200 to the canaries isles where i will cross the atlantic which is another 2400 miles. Ask me again in January if this change has worked and i can give you a better idea if the ignition has been a part of the problem.

On a last note i was aware of the possible errors since this is the first time this is fitted on a Jeanneau 57, and even i have had problems i believe i have saved myself from many tight and difficult harbor maneuvers.

The system is great, when its working,

i hope this could help give you a better idea of what to do, i believe they have learned a lot from the last one year.

if you have any specific questions i will be happy to answer them

Best regards
Drilith
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:07   #34

Boat: (none)

Thanks Drilith! I do think the Dealer was referring to the control box. Glad to hear it's an easy fix. Hopefully Jeanneau will have corrected this by now, or at least by the time I commission mine! I will be curious to know if the ignition is the root of the problem with your system. But, in the time you've had problems, how has the service from Jeanneau been? I would expect nothing less than their willingness to bend over backwards to correct ANY problems with a yacht that new. How are they doing on that front?
Cheers!
farmall.dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:14   #35

Hi Farmal,

I have to give credit to jeanneau for the aftersale support and service they have given me since I bought my boat.

in my opinion it doesn't matter what brand of boat you invest in there will always be problems, its how well these problems are attended to by the company afterwards. jeanneau and I have been in close contact and have always helped me when required. this is also the reason why this is my Second Jeanneu boat.

But its also important to mention that the Docking system is made by an Italian company called ZF, they have been onboard fixing the problem several times and I have also got to know them very well. They are deserve some of the credit for the good service when problems occurs.

in short we all have our problems with our boats, but the Jeanneau/ZF partnership is very supportive should anything happen to the docking system

I will actually have ZF onboard in two weeks time to do a thorough inspection before crossing the atlantic. I will keep you posted about the news and also if the new ignition have helped on the problems I used to have.

Best regards
Christian
Old 03-10-2013, 07:33   #36

Boat: Jeanneau 57

When I was in the process of getting my Jeanneau I debated getting the 360 docking system as it was in the works for my model at the time (they have since stopped making the 360degree drive for the J57) and opted for simplicity and a bit more work while docking the boat, although I do have a bow-thruster.
The new and complex technology that didn't fail-safe bothered me, one could get into a situation where the prop is pointing off-centre and the electrics fail and thus make the boat unmaneuverable. Sailors tend to be conservative and I didn't feel like becoming an unwilling beta-tester.

p.s. While I hesitate to admit it, ZF is a German company and their drives for commercial ships are a different matter than the adaptation for small boats.

ZF Friedrichshafen AG | Drives
Old 03-10-2013, 09:21   #37
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

glad it all worked out, Jeanneau is a very reliable supplier. no doubt Group Beneteau will get all the kinks out. I mean bow thrusters were once new fangled.

dave
Old 07-10-2013, 05:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
p.s. While I hesitate to admit it, ZF is a German company and their drives for commercial ships are a different matter than the adaptation for small boats.

German... huh, here I was believing it was an Italian company, well German engineering I hear is some of the best in the world..
Old 07-10-2013, 14:56   #39

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

New no long term track record. Consumer union would not approve. Until the bugs are ironed out and there is a 5+ year track record proceed at significant risk. A good imtra variable speed bow and stern thruster sytem will do it all if you need that kind of control. Thrusters are a complication but they are well vetted. If a thruster goes out it does not disable boat and if only one goes you still have very high maneuverability. I have a 50ft LOA motor boat that I single hand in tight places. I don't need the thrusters but they do make it easy. I can press the boat against a dock against the wind set thrusters to low lateral force step off and tie up.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:00   #40
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
New no long term track record. Consumer union would not approve. Until the bugs are ironed out and there is a 5+ year track record proceed at significant risk. A good imtra variable speed bow and stern thruster sytem will do it all if you need that kind of control. Thrusters are a complication but they are well vetted. If a thruster goes out it does not disable boat and if only one goes you still have very high maneuverability. I have a 50ft LOA motor boat that I single hand in tight places. I don't need the thrusters but they do make it easy. I can press the boat against a dock against the wind set thrusters to low lateral force step off and tie up.
How does it get a 5+ year track record if everyone applied such advice. !'
Dave
Old 07-10-2013, 20:41   #41

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

How does it get a track record? People who are willing to take the risk compile the record. Some times they are first to enjoy a new product and some times they are first to suffer the growing pains of the same. Some companies give special deals to guinea pig buyers other times they just shamelessly hype the hell out of the product. Its a little like being the first to try a new drug or a new medical procedure. You may get the expected benefit or the unfortunate complications. You would think all this would be well tested before reaching the public not so even with medicine and less so with other products where there is market pressure to release early.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Docking, docking, jeanneau