Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 18:38   #16
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilith
Hi,

i've learned that Jeanneau yachts have recently launched a new feature on their new sailboats called "docking 360" which enable the propeller to turn 360 degree around itself and thereby make it easier when docking/undocking

does anyone have any experince with this sytem? or perhaps a similar systems?

i fuond a small video to illustrate how it works, but i am worried on how reliable this system is



Cheers
Drilith
Umm. Why not just learn to dock? If you can't dock your boat, what else can't you do with it in terms of boathandling and seamanship?

When the system breaks--- and all systems break down on a boat--- what will you ever do?
__________________

__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 19:56   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 435
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

There is nothing that scares me more than a couple who have just bought their first boat, and it's a 35-40 footer and their only experience has been day sailing with friends a few times and reading 'Tamata and the Alliance'. As a marina/club rat these folks scare the crap out of me (and many others) when they are trying to dock. I think they are far more likely to crash at any one time even with some experience then to have the new gear fail. Both can happen, obviously, but far more likely the former numerous times than the latter.If we are not going to ban inexperienced large/medium boat owners from the waters, I say give 'em any fancy docking equipment available. Now.

And, fwiw, not every guy who drives an automatic car with power steering or steers a boat with a pod drive is a moron, and neither is every experienced boat handler not a moron. Just sayin'.
__________________

__________________
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 03:09   #18
Registered User
 
Drilith's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Umm. Why not just learn to dock? If you can't dock your boat, what else can't you do with it in terms of boathandling and seamanship?

When the system breaks--- and all systems break down on a boat--- what will you ever do?
The question at hand here is not wether i can dock a boat or not. I have been sailing half my life and with my background in the royal navy i would say i know how to dock a boat, but since im in the process of aquiring a new boat with this sail drive as an option it would be nice to hear peoples comment on the system.

I bet his system may be helpful in certain situation, expecially should the boat be 50'+ .....
__________________
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 04:45   #19
Registered User
 
malbert73's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Boat: Tartan 40
Posts: 1,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilith

The question at hand here is not wether i can dock a boat or not. I have been sailing half my life and with my background in the royal navy i would say i know how to dock a boat, but since im in the process of aquiring a new boat with this sail drive as an option it would be nice to hear peoples comment on the system.

I bet his system may be helpful in certain situation, expecially should the boat be 50'+ .....
Sorry drilith, my comments clearly sounded directed only at you. My general commentary reflects my worry that this system will enable less experienced folks to by huge boats and never really learn to handle them. Then when the system breaks....

Hinckley has had a secondary joystick system like this on their powerboats (specifically picnic boats) for over a decade. I rode on one and got to try the joystick. It was amazing being able to slide the boat sideways into a slip and rotate in place, but that system was also backed by a 750,000 price tag for a 36 foot powerboat. I hope jeanneau/beneteau 's system is as robustly engineered.
__________________
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 06:54   #20
Registered User
 
Drilith's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

no worries malbert, i do tend to agree to your point, though this is not the case here.

i have test sailed the Jeanneau saildrive and i'm very suprised on how well it works. its very sensitive to the smallest command. i guess they have learned a bit from the early failures... (i hope)

i'm always thinking of the possible outcome that the 360 docking system can break, and should it break i guess you are just facing wih a "normal" docking maneuver.

In what currency is the 750.000 price ?
__________________
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:27   #21
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: Bristol 38.8
Posts: 1,625
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

It's a neat idea and I'm sure it works well. Too bad it's a saildrive.
__________________
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:49   #22
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
It's a neat idea and I'm sure it works well. Too bad it's a saildrive.
I agree don't like the things.
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:50   #23
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,787
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilith View Post

i'm always thinking of the possible outcome that the 360 docking system can break, and should it break i guess you are just facing wih a "normal" docking maneuver.

In what currency is the 750.000 price ?
the only part about that really worries me from a mechanical standpoint is the pod rotation. If there is a problem, it's not like having a bow and stern thruster, you may not be able to move front to back if the pod is at some funky angle when it fails to rotate. In the right hands, this would be a good system on the right boat, but when it appears on 35' boats something is wrong.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 07:54   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,594
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

GOOD NEWS....Now , even less capable folks can get into sailing....
__________________
Randy

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 08:15   #25
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

It appears that our troglodytes are falling all over themselves to condemn this innovation. Unfortunately, there's nothing new here. Tugboats have been using azimuth thrusters since the 1950s.

I remember when power steering came out on automobiles, much to the same sort of objections. Too complicated! What will happen when it fails? Now even weaklings will be able to drive!

Bottom line: anyone driving a car without power steering these days is driving a jalopy.

Prediction: twenty years from now, you won't be able to buy a new sailboat with antiquated prop shafts.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:04   #26
Registered User
 
Drilith's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
the only part about that really worries me from a mechanical standpoint is the pod rotation. If there is a problem, it's not like having a bow and stern thruster, you may not be able to move front to back if the pod is at some funky angle when it fails to rotate. In the right hands, this would be a good system on the right boat, but when it appears on 35' boats something is wrong.

Hi Sailmonkey

Its a very interesting point you are raising and one that i asked Jeanneu.

What if the drive is stuck in a certain possition for example 90 degreess to port.

They answered that they have an emergency precedure and they have also showed me this now.
With a wrench you can turn the drive to the "normal" position (propeller pointing aft) and then de-clutch the drive manually from the main engine so you still have steering power but the propeller will point aft.
The downside though, is that you can only go forward so you can't reverse to slow down....


I guess the conclusion is that its a pretty handy tool which makes docking easier/safer and quicker while its working, and should it break you end up in a situation where you can only go forward (no breaks)

Its a situation i can live with....

i have decided to go forward and invest in this system, i will make sure to let you know once/if it breaks down and how my own experince is with this system

Best
Drilith
__________________
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:35   #27
Registered User
 
Khagan1227's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kansas City, MO
Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Posts: 1,330
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

For those the regularly use marinas, or have their boats tied up there, this might just be the thing.

Even with the recession here in the states, marinas are getting more crowded, both with more vessels and bigger vessels. This might make it safer for my boat from those who's skills in docking are lacking.

One thing I would like to see on the system, does it have the ability to be manually returned to stowage position should a problem occur? I'd hate to be out and have the drive pointed 90 degrees to direction of travel.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:37   #28
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,787
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post

One thing I would like to see on the system, does it have the ability to be manually returned to stowage position should a problem occur? I'd hate to be out and have the drive pointed 90 degrees to direction of travel.
Yes, see the previous post
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:40   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,787
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drilith View Post
de-clutch the drive manually from the main engine so you still have steering power but the propeller will point aft.
The downside though, is that you can only go forward so you can't reverse to slow down....

So in a normal operation, say coming into a dock without using the system the drive unit stays clutched in and you rotate the pod 180 to go astern?!?! Wow, that seems like a bear on a single screw installation. It works great with Z-Drives in a twin configuration though.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2012, 10:56   #30
Registered User
 
Drilith's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Re: Jeanneau Yachts - Docking 360 Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
So in a normal operation, say coming into a dock without using the system the drive unit stays clutched in and you rotate the pod 180 to go astern?!?! Wow, that seems like a bear on a single screw installation. It works great with Z-Drives in a twin configuration though.

Correct, the propeller can only turn one way, so if you put the throttle in reverse (without the docking 360 activated) the propeller will still turn 180 degrees, and it turns very quickly within 1 second i would say. how long the srew will last i do not know
__________________

__________________
Drilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Docking, docking, jeanneau

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.