Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 01:33   #91

Re: Jeanneau vs Amel

I think Boom may have said somewhere that sitting and steering is a bit of a stretch (maybe I have that wrong). When docking I would always stand anyway and for me, watch keeping would be on autopilot so anywhere in the cockpit would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
This thread opened my eyes for the Amel brand. I have always liked odd boats with clever technical solutions and the Amels really seem to have it all. I currently sail a Dufour production boat and love it but I have done a lot of mods to it to make it better to live aboard. I have one question for you guys that actually own an Amel; How is it to sit down and steer? Obviously I’m used to stand up in the back of the cockpit as this is how most production boat are set up. I would imagine that sitting down would be a little harder in terms of keeping a good watch and docking.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 01:53   #92

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
This thread opened my eyes for the Amel brand. I have always liked odd boats with clever technical solutions and the Amels really seem to have it all. I currently sail a Dufour production boat and love it but I have done a lot of mods to it to make it better to live aboard. I have one question for you guys that actually own an Amel; How is it to sit down and steer? Obviously I’m used to stand up in the back of the cockpit as this is how most production boat are set up. I would imagine that sitting down would be a little harder in terms of keeping a good watch and docking.
As an owner of a center cockpit cruiser (Contest 43 CC) with a standard centered pedestal and knowing the Amels very well, the offset wheel and sitting has some advantages and maybe few disadvantages.
Beneteau and Jeanneau had this as well as an option when they offered CC boats.

Basically, with a CC you have a better overall control at docking as you are sitting higher and more to the front. You can stand up and steer with your left hand if convenient.
The disadvantage is being away from the aft docking lines... but these boats are made for offshore long passages with much fewer docking opportunities. I have no problem with my frequent docking as I have no time for long offshore voyages.

An offset wheel also opens up the cockpit space, as CC’s have a smaller cockpit than the equivalent aft cockpit boats.

In general, for long offshore cruisers CC is a better setup and an offset wheel isn’t an issue.

Amels are great boats with some unique design concepts, usually fully loaded for convenient cruising but are also quite complicated with their many systems. An important note for the less technical sailors...
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 02:31   #93

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The Amel's helm organisation is something you either love or hate. Only you can tell by trying it. I'd suspect most Amel owners would be in the former category, of course!
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 05:53   #94

Boat: Amel 50

Quote:

You can sit down or stand up at the helm of my Amel 50. I usually hand steer standing up when I’m close to something, or docking/undocking. The rest of the time, I’m mostly on autopilot.

Because the cockpit is close to the center of the boat, she feels much smaller. Also, the powerful bow thruster makes maneuvers very easy, even with strong wind. Once she starts backing up, she keeps going and you just have to change direction with the bow thruster.

This is my first season in the Med, but Med mooring has not been a problem with two people. I could even Med moor singlehanded by laying the stern lines on my dinghy, which is on the davits. The person on the dock could grab the lines.

So far, the offset center cockpit helm has felt very natural. I’m always thinking of possible improvements (engineer mind...), but I would not change anything in this setup. The enclosure makes it a little hard to see through it at night due to glare, but with the fwd enclosure hatch open and the radar I’ve had no problems. It’s a good compromise.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 07:00   #95

Just back from sailing an Amel 50 for the first time. Got to say I was mega impressed. The hull is a modern design so it sails well - A little under powered compared to what I'm used to but a great cruising boat and while I don't love the helm position, I did get to like it. I've no doubt that cruising would be fantastic with the helm and the enclosed cockpit and I'd be kissing it in a blow.

Very very impressive boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
The Amel's helm organisation is something you either love or hate. Only you can tell by trying it. I'd suspect most Amel owners would be in the former category, of course!
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:13   #96

many many years ago when i was a young guy i read a simple statement about quality and longevity ..about premium brands against basic brands...:

the one who buys a premium brands new, pays for the quality and longevity only the second and third owner will come to enjoy.

since then i have bought all my life top notch premium products but always second hand... makes a very good standard and very few problems.
Ibetitsthisway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:59   #97

Boat: no boat any more

I never took to their looks, their complication or their price tags (sour grapes???), but at bluewater crossroads like Panama & Nuku Hiva they are much more numerous than their general market share would suggest
Old 29-09-2019, 10:06   #98

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesphere View Post
Amel all day long.

Very much -- VERY much -- depends on the intent. Last summer, sailing down Easter Bay (on the Chesapeake) in 5-10 on my 1979 Sabre 34, I blew past two Amel's that were 10 feet longer than me. They were truly suffering, and we were enjoying the sail. Shortly after, they both went to engines. The good news is, if a hurricane suddenly popped up, the' were going to be in a much better situation than I was. I've had my Sabre for nearly 10 years on the Bay, seen a LOT of 5-10, and rarely had it out in anything over 40. An Amel, even for free, would have been a bad choice for my sailing. And as an aside, board-up I draw under 4 -- there a a LOT of places on the Chesapeake I enjoy that the Amel will never see.

The Sabre is for sale as we retire in 18 months and will change our sailing profile from "cruising the Chesapeake" to "distance/offshore/long term" cruising. Different profile, different boat.

If OP wants to sail fast and comfortably in light conditions, if he wants to live comfortably in day sailing and anchorages in the Caribbean, if open space and room for 6 and ventilation are important, then the week long passage each direction is a "cost of doing business" and can be done (even if uncomfortably) in pretty much any modern production boat. I wouldn't, but that's not my sailing profile.

Harry
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 18:44   #99

Boat: a sailing boat

Yesterday walked by an Amel 54 docked next to a newest HR.

I'm sorry but it was a swan and a pig. Amel being the Swan.

Jeanneau new boats are also very slick. Nordic gods only know why HR management decided their boats need to imitate (outwardly) Bavarias.

There is also a Bene 45 here next to us. Also pretty. Beamy stern and fine wide cockpit. Looks very comfy.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 21:23   #100

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
On the 53, it's a great place to sit, tho if you are over 6' or have long legs you gotta spread em a bit or sit a touch side saddle Never been a problem though. You can also sit on TOP of the seat if you have a raised dodger behind the hard top. Honestly, like most, usually autopilot anyway, so we lay along the 7 foot + cushioned benches instead. You can see everything and all the instruments from either side. Going astern I just twist around, not a big deal. Any minor inconvenience is far outweighed by the super dry, super warm comfy and safe cockpit/helm area. I've said it before, I'll say it again, 30+ knots in Feb in north west Med, the girls were playing canasta behind me in sweatpants and T shirts The 53 has a cockpit that makes almost every visitor to our boat who hasn't ever seen an amel rock back on their heels.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 21:58   #101

Interesting comment... - and in what way exactly “HR imitates” Bavaria?

As for the beauty contest made between Amel and the HR, both great boats - it is a matter of a personal taste. Yet, HR is at least a class higher in its building and seaworthy quality, finishes ( have you noticed the plastic “teak” decks at Amel?...) etc. For most details and understanding you need to look well under the hood and on the hard - quite different bottom designs.

QUOTE=barnakiel;2986744]Yesterday walked by an Amel 54 docked next to a newest HR.

I'm sorry but it was a swan and a pig. Amel being the Swan.

Jeanneau new boats are also very slick. Nordic gods only know why HR management decided their boats need to imitate (outwardly) Bavarias.

There is also a Bene 45 here next to us. Also pretty. Beamy stern and fine wide cockpit. Looks very comfy.

b.[/QUOTE]
DeValency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 22:43   #102

Boat: Amel 50
Jeanneau vs Amel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
As for the beauty contest made between Amel and the HR, both great boats - it is a matter of a personal taste. Yet, HR is at least a class higher in its building and seaworthy quality, finishes ( have you noticed the plastic “teak” decks at Amel?...) etc. For most details and understanding you need to look well under the hood and on the hard - quite different bottom designs.

Just to clarify, the “teak” deck on the Amel is not plastic. It is colored gelcoat. The striping is done by hand and is very time consuming.

One of the Amel concepts is to reduce unnecessary maintenance and to make the maintenance of the important items easier. This is one of the reasons why I bought an Amel. I did not want any exterior wood. I really wish other high end manufacturers would do something similar.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 22:54   #103

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
Just to clarify, the “teak” deck on the Amel is not plastic. It is colored gelcoat. The striping is done by hand and is very time consuming.

One of the Amel concepts is to reduce unnecessary maintenance and to make the maintenance of the important items easier. This is one of the reasons why I bought an Amel. I did not want any exterior wood. I really wish other high end manufacturers would do something similar.
I was about to say that! The striping I know is very labor intensive because I just redid ours this winter, in white. Really ties the room together.

As we settle into a winter this time in rainy corfu, our neighbor who is also staying has teak decks. She says they turn GREEN and she has to scrub them every few weeks because there is so much moisture and shade here. She very much wishes she had our fake gelcoat teak
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 23:41   #104

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I do understand what you are saying, but after all, gel coat IS a form of plastic!

And I'd never want to own a boat with the genuine product myself... in fact teak decks were one of the absolute deal killers when we were boat hunting. Some folks love them, and when really well maintained (bright) they are handsome, but not for me.

Jim
Old 29-09-2019, 23:44   #105

Sorry - not a plastic, but gelcoat imitating wooden deck. That’s ok with me. Much less on the maintenance. But that’s the visual aspect of the beauty contest the former note was about... nothing real. That’s not a factor in comparing Amel to HR.

There are good we’ll proven ways to maintain teak decks in shape that require much less work than people think. See my next comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post

Tags
jeanneau