Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2010, 03:54   #1

Jeanneau Sunshine 38

Does anyone here have any experience, thoughts or opinions on the Jeanneau Sunshine 38 built in the mid to late 80's ?

I want a yacht in the size range that can be made easy to handle solo when needed. I am looking at probably bringing it to Stockholm to sail it here this summer, possibly take it to the Med for summer next year and eventually when I decide to move back to Australia, probably ship it there and use it to cruise the south pacific or simply sail out of Melbourne.

I would love a newer boat but finances do not allow as I want to buy and still have plenty of cash left over for emergencies or simply stocking up the boat with plenty of beer and single malt whiskey to keep the captain and crew happy
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 04:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
We very nearly bought the 34 foot version a 1984 Sunshine. She had crossed the Atlantic twice and this was the keel stub and lifting plate version. She had a few battle scars and cleary been well used and lived onboard. Sadly the total lack of paperwork suggested she might have been imported into the EU initally so possible big outstanding £6k VAT liability which both broker and owner couldn't or wouldn't sort. Despite the S shaped mast because some muppet had fiddled with the rigging, holes in the cushions, 4 flat batteries and dock scars on the outside, crawling around inside with a mirror suggested she was still holding up well. SHMBO didn't want a project though, which finally killed that one off.

Re-searching at the time suggested the 1980s yachts were more substaintially built than the later versions and included Kevlar in the hull lay up.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 08:49   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Re-searching at the time suggested the 1980s yachts were more substaintially built than the later versions
I heard that as well although I guess I read it here somewhere

Something about in the earlier days they did not know just how strong GRP was and therefore built in more of a margin for error. Not sure how old this applies too.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau