Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 13:53   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49 DS Mast Height

Hi, looking at a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49 DS shoal draft but I can't seem to find what the air draft is... anybody know?

Anything to look out for on this particular model of boat outside of the usual hull/keel/rudder issues?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 14:39   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49 DS Mast Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Hi, looking at a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49 DS shoal draft but I can't seem to find what the air draft is... anybody know?

Anything to look out for on this particular model of boat outside of the usual hull/keel/rudder issues?
See (click on) SailboatData.com Sun Odyssey 49 DS
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 15:19   #3

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Seems the air draft spec is often difficult or impossible to find online. However the "I" dimension is easy to find.

Downloaded the manual for this boat and it is not listed in the specs. Too large a file to attach.

Found two references online to this, both from charter companies. One stated 19.6 meters and the other 21 meters.
Old 22-10-2016, 15:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The data don't show air draft (height of mast above water).

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Found two references online to this, both from charter companies. One stated 19.6 meters and the other 21 meters.
Wow, thanks... that's too high for an ICW boat.
Old 22-10-2016, 16:20   #5

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I guess what I found could be considered hearsay evidence considering the three foot discrepancy between the sources.

But even at 19.6 that would be less than a foot under the 65 foot bridges. Too close for me.

Some have these tall masts on the ICW. But their passage planning and available bailout passes are very much different than those of us under 50'.

One of my favorite ways to kill time is daydreaming about the perfect new boat for me. The "won the lottery" daydream. Enjoy reading about all the new boats but my cruising area places some considerable obstacles in the dreaming. If I try to keep it real, as if I could actually follow through.
Old 22-10-2016, 16:57   #6

Did the ICW from VA to NC on a brand new 45' Sun Odyssey 2011
a few years ago. Don't remember the exact stick height but we
had to wait for tides at a few bridges. This was a few weeks after hurricane
Irene. Don't forget to add your radio antennas and any instrumentation
to the stick hight. We tinkled them a few times.
Very nerve wracking
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 17:14   #7

Quote:
I guess what I found could be considered hearsay evidence considering the three foot discrepancy between the sources.

But even at 19.6 that would be less than a foot under the 65 foot bridges. Too close for me.

Some have these tall masts on the ICW. But their passage planning and available bailout passes are very much different than those of us under 50'.

One of my favorite ways to kill time is daydreaming about the perfect new boat for me. The "won the lottery" daydream. Enjoy reading about all the new boats but my cruising area places some considerable obstacles in the dreaming. If I try to keep it real, as if I could actually follow through.
Yeah, we are considering a move up in size and speed from our current boat.

There seem to be a lot of options for boats under 200K if you shop well. Although I am generally not a huge fan of very light displacement boats I think the 45 to 49 foot Jeanneau Sun Odyssey's are more moderate displacement. The other issue is the suitability for offshore when it comes to berth arrangements - on paper there does not seem to be very good sea berths.

However, we do spend the vast majority of time at anchor or in a marina and this boat looks like it would be a good for that.

It was suggested to me that the mast could be cut down a foot or two, the rigging updated, and the sails recut. We had our current mast cut down a few inches because it had some corrosion at the base and that was not expensive since we already had the mast out. I don't imagine that the reduced sail area would hurt the boat too much.
Old 23-10-2016, 17:26   #8

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

HEllo,
You can measure the height. Mark the mast at eye level, make a triangle 12"by 12", have someone hold a tape measure on the mark and back up until you can sight the mark and the top of the mast with the triangle. The tape measure distance + the height of eye will be the height. Be careful.
Good luck
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 06:34   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

I would plan on 71 feet from the waterline. The mast is most likely 63-65' from the deck. My 2012 509 S.O. has similar characteristics. No ICW for us.
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 08:51   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft

According to specs, my 2016 50DS mast is 64'5" without VHF antenna. I went under several 65" bridges and the antenna pinged them. The Wilkerson bridge on the Pongo canal in NC is only 64' and there is no tide according to nearby marinas. You have to wait for the wind to blow water out of the sound to get under or tilt your mast.
Who ever the engineer was that decided to shave off a foot should be made to stand station at the bridge and suffer the slings and arrows of all the sailors that can't get under it.
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:02   #11

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:

Makes me wonder - why do so few boats have collapsible, folding, or retractable masts? Even the few I have seen are very small boats. I heard the Seaward 46RK was originally designed with that in mind, but they didn't follow through.

I understand there are structural issues, but if a hollow mast with in-mast furling is strong enough to hold a sail, I think a retractable or folding one would be too. Plus, it wouldn't even have to fully restract. On many boats, if you could simply retract/fold the top 1 meter of the mast, it would make a huge difference.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 17:50   #12

Or maybe just make a performance cruiser in the 40 to 50 foot range that is ICW friendly.
Old 24-10-2016, 18:04   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
The data don't show air draft (height of mast above water)....
Well Golly Gee...that's really complicated, eh? By inspection one can tell that the mast base is about 6' above the water line. With an I of 55.8 feet your at about 62' of "air draft" which comports with the LOA. Note, however, that if this calculation is a challenge, do you think you're really up for such a yacht? Really?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 19:05   #14

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Well Golly Gee...that's really complicated, eh? By inspection one can tell that the mast base is about 6' above the water line. With an I of 55.8 feet your at about 62' of "air draft" which comports with the LOA. Note, however, that if this calculation is a challenge, do you think you're really up for such a yacht? Really?
IIRC,the I dimension is the vertical distance between where the forestay intersects the deck and where the forestay intersects the mast. There can be considerable difference in both those dimensions and your over simplistic calculation. That is, the foredeck is lower than the cabin-top mast step,and the forestay intersects the mast well below the maximum height of even the masthead, let alone the antennae or instruments or lights. I'm not familiar with this particular boat, but many of the recent French boats have fractional rigs, and in such there are big differences between I and mast height.

And in determining bridge clearance, inches may matter, so approximations are scary... it it is your mast at risk.

So, I have to wonder if YOU are really up to dissing the OP for not figgering this out!

Jim

Tags
jeanneau, mast