Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 16:34   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 42DS - Tafika II
Send a message via Skype™ to Tafika2
Jeanneau SO42DS 2008 – Salt Water in Bilge – HELP!

Several months ago, I discovered salt water in the two center bilges (yes I tasted it). These are the 2nd and 3rd bilges from the companionway steps. It’s not much water, about 1/4”~1/2” of water. Since the discovery, I have:
• Replaced the raw water pump (it was leaking slightly, but had it rebuilt as a spare)
• Replaced one cooling hose (cracked)
• Burped & re-lubricated the start Volvo bearing (no leaks or dripping)
• Checked the rudder shaft & bearings (no leaks)
• Inspected keel bolts & they are dry and galvanizing is clean
• Raw water brass pipe with welded brass drain valve (weld cracked and valve corroded)
• Replaced all factory original junk thru-hull values supplied by Jeanneau with Groco bronze
• Tightened all thru hole clamps in incoming raw water, lift exhaust and non-engine and engine related through hulls.
• Inspected everywhere I could think of were sea water could come in, including watermaker, air/heat intakes, raw water washdown intake, genset intake & exhaust, forward head (after is fresh water supplied), etc.
Here’s the fun fact…sitting in the slip, no water egresses into the boat. Water enters only with the engine running and moving! I’m at a loss so if anyone has had this problem & found a solution, let me know.
Thanks!
Tafika2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 18:16   #2

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Jeanneau SO42DS 2008 – Salt Water in Bilge – HELP!!!!

What about that long exaust hose ?? do you check it whit the engine on?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 18:26   #3

Re: Jeanneau SO42DS 2008 – Salt Water in Bilge – HELP!!!!

I checked the coupling ends & clamps but not the length of hose. I'll add it to my next checklist...thanks
Old 15-07-2013, 19:04   #4

Boat: Columbia 41
Re: Jeanneau SO42DS 2008 – Salt Water in Bilge – HELP!

Did you check the heat exchanger itself for a pin hole leak?
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:28   #5

I checked the entire heat exchanger and there were no holes of any type.
Old 16-07-2013, 06:48   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Put paper towels underneath all the possible spots. They can be wrapped /cable tied around hoses etc
It is easy to see even the tiniest leak.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 06:59   #7

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Another thing to check, you mention under way with the engine, if the prop shaft is fitted with the volvo style dripless shaft seal , beware , with the engine in neutral you dont see any leak, but whit the engine engaged in fwd the prop fwd load move the engine few mm fwd and the seal maybe leak there , make a test , get a pen marker, mark the shaft where the lip seal is making contact, put the gear in fwd and see if the shaft shift to much from the mark, and if is leaking... some engines got the mounts in horrendous conditions allowing a lot of engine shift fwd and backwards , and lip seals like to grip in the same shaft spot... just a sugestion...
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:18   #8

Noelex 77 - I di the paper towel routine, but there are some areas that I didn't do, so I'll try that again in those areas.
Neilpride, I do have volvo style dripless shaft seal and have t inspected them underway in all RPM's of forward and reverse. It is not leaking.
Some suggested I look at the rubber anti siphon valve on the raw water Vetus non return valve. I didn't look at this yet, so I will; however, there is not water in the engine well (paper towel & visual tests). It's bone dry without traces of salt water.
Old 29-07-2013, 10:15   #9

Based on this Jeanneau Owner’s & Cruiser’s Forum comments & suggestions, I re-inspected the systems again. It looks as if I had two contributing factors.

The Vetus non-return pressure valve had stuck open & dumping salt water directly into the under-bilge. I cleaned the value, ordered a new one for replacement and attached a 22’ long 5/16” ID water hose ($0.76/foot + clamps…pretty cheap fix) to drain into the forward bilge pump sump area. Why Jeanneau thought it was a good idea to dump salt water into the under-bilge is beyond me. Had there been a general failure of the valve, the boat could have flooded. For an additional $25.00, this could have been avoided if Jeanneau have run this hose overboard or directly into the bilge pump sump area.

The second problem was harder to find. I saw a rivulet of water exiting the exhaust hose where it enters the water muffler. While tightening the clamps, I noticed the entire male fitting was loose. I removed the hose clamps, hose and fitting (easily removed by hand…no tools). The threads looked to be sealed with standard plumber’s putty. There were no cuts, splits or gouges on the “O” ring. I inspected the fitting and receiver box for any crack….none. After cleaning the male & female threads & an “O” ring, I applied a vibration resistant Rectorseal 4-oz. Tru-Blu Pipe Thread Sealant to the male and female threads. I applied a generous amount of silicon grease to the “O” ring and “O” ring seating area and reinstalled the fittings & hose. No leaks.
The under-bilge did take a few sailing trip to finally empty, but it’s basically dry again.

Thank for everyone’s help!

Read more: Jeanneau SO42DS 2008
Old 08-08-2013, 13:19   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Recently had an impeller eat itself up...had the same mysterious water pouring into the bilge everytime the engine ran. No hose leaks, no exchanger leaks, no water heater leaks. Turned out when the impeller failed the exhaust turns to steam and melted the side of the waterlift muffler which is nicely hidden under the engine mount. A friendly mechanic heard me discussing it and mentioned he had recently fixed the same issue by replacing the muffler. Good news is that muffler is only 113.00.....bad news is that it cost 179.00 to ship from France.....
Netguy362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 15:33   #11

There is a great deal of satisfaction to be had, from troubleshooting, diagnosing, and repairing something on your boat. Not only that, but, you now know your boat a lit tle better. Keep up the good work.
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 14:15   #12

To netguy362,
I didn't have to worry about the impeller since I had just put a new water pump in, but I did add a engine temperature gauge so if the impeller or the pump was not working, the elevated steam temperatures might be shown to time to catch & prevent the problem.
It always something!
Old 12-08-2013, 13:23   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Yes indeed! I've also found impellers through Defender from Global that claim to be able to run dry for 15 minutes without failure. They were priced comparable to regular impellers so I've put one in and hope to never find out if it works or not! The temp sensor is definitely a future task on my list as well but having done a complete electronics re-fit to i60's i70's, e127, evolution autopilot, radar, and the electronics panel as well my "this year" budget is done....There is always next year though....

Vince
Netguy362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 03:42   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: JEANNEAU,BENETAU,BAVARIA etc.

check also the holes through deck for the rails.jeanneau intends to put very little silicone for sealing.if you have leakage there you will understand immediately by the metal base being rusted
MARINE ENGINNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 03:47   #15

Thats a good thing as silicone is a very poor bedding material and should not be used on decks
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, jeanneau, salt, water