Well...just when I thought this was over... The same salthingyer leak at the wet muffler
reared it ugly head
again, so pulled it apart one more time! It seems the thread sealer…Tru-Blu Pipe Thread Sealant
, while stating it was suitable, was not. It deteriorated in hot salt water
and the diesel
gases and attacked & destroyed the “O” ring. I cleaned both threads thoroughly, applied Permatex 99839 ULTRA BLACK (it is a silicone & oil
resistant) at the suggestion of my local service
yard, as that is what they use. I replaced the “O” rings (Silicon O-Ring with temperature range of -65° to +425° F; Durometer hardness of A70; 0.139” Diameter thick x 3.359” ID and 3.637” OD).
Once again it is fixed…Let’s hope I don’t have to update this again.