Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2012, 10:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Jeanneau 2012 44 DS

My wife and I had the privilege of going on a brand new 2012 boat. We loved the design inside and out. We would like some other opinions on this boat for a liveabord to start then in couple of years start world crousing. They are selling it for
$295,000 all in. With A/C, Gen, Wind solar Full sail inventory power winches. Everything ready to start. I do not want all the usual IT'S A PRODUCTION BOAT BULL S##T.
Thank you for all your opinions.
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 14:13   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkittson
My wife and I had the privilege of going on a brand new 2012 boat. We loved the design inside and out. We would like some other opinions on this boat for a liveabord to start then in couple of years start world crousing. They are selling it for
$295,000 all in. With A/C, Gen, Wind solar Full sail inventory power winches. Everything ready to start. I do not want all the usual IT'S A PRODUCTION BOAT BULL S##T.
I sailed a good few Jeanneau DeckSaloons, very good sea boat, comfortable and fast. Get the performance deck upgrades for slightly better deck gear etc.

You can t go wrong here really solid proven design from a reliable builder

Dave
Old 25-07-2012, 14:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30
Does no one else know theses boats.
fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 14:34   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Jeanneau 2012 44 DS

They are a good boat and will probably suit whatever use you intend to put it to. Is it new or used? If new how did it get all the stuff on it, generator, solar wind etc. Or is this the price the dealer quoted with all the equipment to be installed.
Old 25-07-2012, 16:06   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Hopefully, you'll get someone who has one to respond. I have a dockmate who just purchased one and the only problem with which I am familiar is the wiring which is difficult to identify, mislabeled, not labeled or just plain wrong. If I was going to purchase one, I'd insist on a survey or the boat and particularly that aspect of it's construction. Commissioning a new boat is difficult in itself but if there are insidious issues such as this, you or your surveyor should identify them before you take ownership and pay that last 10%
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 17:08   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Maybe you can rent boats now, buy the target boat later?

Think planned obsolescence.

Jeanneau 2012 44 DS is a great boat. Do keep yours way away from reefs and shallows - all the new mass produced boats are 'delicate'.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2012, 17:40   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Do keep yours way away from reefs and shallows - all the new mass produced boats are 'delicate'.

Cheers,
b.
Wasn't the RMS Titanic a one-off boat?
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:00   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Wasn't the RMS Titanic a one-off boat?
No, it was not.

It was (meant to be) the first in series but the company went underground after the accident. Many years later they re-emerged with a new, improved product. (If I recall well, their new line is named Huntvaria or something like that).

;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2012, 17:22   #9

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

Check out www.rubyslippers49.com, while it isn't the exact boat you are looking at, they did an extended cruise from Seattle to the south Pacific and back on a Jeanneau 49 and may answer some of your questions about the adequacy of a Jeanneau for ocean voyaging.

I just got back from spending two weeks on the same boat up in Alaska, he is cruising up there for a couple of months this summer. The Jeanneau is a very nice boat and it has held up to a lot of open ocean use very well. I own a Tartan but wouldn't hesitate to buy a Jeanneau if that is the direction life leads me.

Hope the website helps,

Steve
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2012, 07:05   #10

I doubt that anyone would tell you that a Jeanneau 44 DS would be a best choice for world cruising. It is in every respect a boat built to price. I owned a Jeanneau 53 for a year.
I think the 44 DS would be a nice boat to live on but i would carefully consider whether it is a best choice for cruising far away from land.
Much about the boat like the seacocks is very poorly done. They for example are made from brass not bronze and there have been a number of them that have dissoved in a very short time. I think Ben-Jen even tell you they ave a 5 year life. The British yachting press has written extensively about this.
You wont find a better new boat for the price though. A boat truly built to sail away as delivered will cost you 2 or even 3 times as much.
In the end though it is the sailor more than the boat and many Jeanneaus do comfortably cross oceans. I think I'd want to look carefully at every system first
jhiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 02:16   #11

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats

We chartered a 39DS for two weeks. We took it offshore from the French mainland as far as Corsica - not the same as living aboard or worldwide cruising, but still informative. We found the boat well made and comfortable. Here are the issues we encountered, few as they are.

We did not love the in-mast furling. I think our boat had a replacement system that may be different from Jeanneau's standard (prior charterers had dismasted the vessel!). The problem was that the furling line ran to a vertical gear which, in theory, would lock the sail in place if the line was secured. Reality was that the gear was not tight enough on the line to hold the sail against a stiff breeze. A reefed main would unfurl itself.

In addition, the vessel only carried about 87 gallons of water. Offshore, water capacity becomes pretty important. We found that with four people and hot showers every day we could go about three nights and four days before running out of water. This dictated our marina schedule. A water maker may be the solution for a long term cruiser, but even those have reliability problems. I am pretty sure an extra water tank is an option with the DS line. It might be worth looking into.

Finally, the flat bottom pounded when motoring into a chop. Sleep was scarce in those circumstances. I could have mitigated this, in retrospect, by motor sailing on a tack rather than driving straight into the wind. Also, boats with full keels have their own compromises and tend to cost a lot more…
We did not have dock-and-go, but we did have a bow thruster. I did all the close maneuvering since it was my credit card on the line. With med mooring and tight marinas, there was ample opportunity to explore the boats maneuverability in tight places. I found the boat easy, predictable, and it could turn almost in its own length. The bow thruster was helpful – I’d get one. This is more because bow thrusters are great than any fault in the boat’s handling. The boat handles very well.
These quibbles are pretty small compared to the overwhelming number of small things that made the vessel safe, comfortable, and rewarding for our two weeks in the Med. From the ground tackle aft, we found the Jeanneau DS a spectacular boat. The deck salon itself is a great luxury that we appreciated every day – from blocking green water offshore to the open, relaxing space down below. My wife and I are converted to this school of design.
This is as much as I can say from two weeks living on a 39. I hope you find it helpful . I think the 44DS is possibly the prettiest thing afloat and my admittedly limited experience with the DS line has been overwhelmingly positive!
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34   #12

Boat: Whitby 42 Ketch

We're living aboard a Jeanneau 43DS and are located in the Med at the moment. We have found her excellent. Of course we'd rather have a nice big Oyster or something similar but the bang for buck with Jeanneau is hard to beat. We intend to cruise here for another two summers then cross the Atlantic with her. The newer 44s are very nice. Equip her properly, sail her well and she'll take you where you want to go.
Cheers
Old 01-03-2013, 13:50   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiller View Post
I doubt that anyone would tell you that a Jeanneau 44 DS would be a best choice for world cruising. It is in every respect a boat built to price. I owned a Jeanneau 53 for a year.
I think the 44 DS would be a nice boat to live on but i would carefully consider whether it is a best choice for cruising far away from land.
Much about the boat like the seacocks is very poorly done. They for example are made from brass not bronze and there have been a number of them that have dissoved in a very short time. I think Ben-Jen even tell you they ave a 5 year life. The British yachting press has written extensively about this.
You wont find a better new boat for the price though. A boat truly built to sail away as delivered will cost you 2 or even 3 times as much.
In the end though it is the sailor more than the boat and many Jeanneaus do comfortably cross oceans. I think I'd want to look carefully at every system first
Its an excellent sea boat and if all you can find is crititism of a few valves, which are easily changed out of you realty need to. Though funnily a lot of old Jeaneauu are still floating around.

Dave
Old 01-03-2013, 17:32   #14
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkittson View Post
I agree all that PRODUCTION BOAT BULL....can be a little annoying but the way you have worded your question will only get you the GOOD . What you are realley looking for is the Good,bad and the ugly . I have nothing against these boats other then when down below i feel like i'm in an IKEA showroom they are a production hull with a kit interior they instill no feeling of safety or sturdiness in me I'm too chicken to cross an ocean in one .
On the other hand i love the performance they sail well and are quick and lets face it quick can equate to safety.

With your budget {$295000} and the current economy you could seriously get into some high quality well thought out ocean going yachts .
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55   #15

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOM View Post

With your budget {$295000} and the current economy you could seriously get into some high quality well thought out ocean going yachts .
Amen to that.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote