Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 06:51   #121

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Jacklines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I believe you have misunderstood more than the jackline deal captain. Better slow down that speed reading a bit.
Just evening up the score..................

(remember, I'm the guy that was only strapped on when "trapped" out on one of my catamarans in the past)

See attached although I had a boat like this, this isn't me. (it's Curry. It was taken in Pensacola) And on distance races like the yearly 100 Mile Round The Island race out of Ft Walton, I'd run all (3) sails ( main, jib, and spin) like that third picture with the unidentified skipper.

Icarus Sports USA :: NACRA F17
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trapped out II.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	52333   Click image for larger version

Name:	trapped out.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	52334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	nacraF17Sloop001.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	52337  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:03   #122

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Jacklines

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm assuming you are aware that Tristan, while an engauging author, was a teller of tall tales. Perhaps 1/2 of the trips he wrote about either never happened, or happened in a very different manner from that recounted.

I'd be careful of taking his bolder statments too litterally.
And I believe he had no legs near the end. Lost one fearful night inside the stinking belly of one vengeful devil whale! AYE MATE, ......MOBY DICK!
(It's thought in certain circles that ... shsssh mate...that Boatman "61" is one of Capt Jones' many progeny left ashore 'round the Med. Look at 'em, Matey!)
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:57   #123
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

This thread has evolved from 'can you get back on boat' to 'dont fall in from the get-go'. About 7 or 8 years ago there was a similar thread on a sailboat sight and what amazed me there was that most of the replies to the thread were new and improved ideas and devices to get back on the boat and relatively few responses on prevention from falling overboard. Except for a rare few. most agreed that they could not get back on their boat when they actually made 'test jumps' but that didn't deter them from spending mental energy on devising new schemes for getting back on board. I am of the "don't fall overboard" school.
On my sailboat, I find it more practical to hook up my inflatable life vest "D" rings (with 2 lanyards) and clip onto the safety lines rather than a jackstay. This is not here nor there, just the way I prefer it. I can reach and work on either side without going over the edge except for going foreward. When up in the bow area, I just run the lanyard over the top of the life line and then clip it back onto my "D" rings. This, in effect, shortens my lines. Now that I have a small Aft Cabin motor yacht, This will still work when walking forward by running my lanyard over the handholds on the cabin sides and back into the "D" rings again. By having 2 lanyards, one is always hooked up while the other is is being transferred.
The 2 lanyard thing is a required practice when working at heights by all safety standards.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24   #124
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
But the other boats were close. When cruising alone though in the future, I'll be strapping in........especially if I cannot see land.

Now I understand Zeehag on his boat, Rubber Ducky, never unstraps even while at anchor when he's in the head

hay thomm, lady--howsit hanging???

btw--please get it thru head that i am not a guy.
rodlmao.
what is wrong with folks thinking my pic is a dood, mon..they smokin' too mucha somet'in' , heah, mon...aint only guys who ACTIVELY sail out here in the the world..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hay thomm, lady--howsit hanging???

btw--please get it thru head that i am not a guy.
rodlmao.
what is wrong with folks thinking my pic is a dood, mon..they smokin' too mucha somet'in' , heah, mon...aint only guys who ACTIVELY sail out here in the the world..
Hey Z,

Ha, now I better understand the 10,000 plus posts!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:32   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
This thread has evolved from 'can you get back on boat' to 'dont fall in from the get-go'. About 7 or 8 years ago there was a similar thread on a sailboat sight and what amazed me there was that most of the replies to the thread were new and improved ideas and devices to get back on the boat and relatively few responses on prevention from falling overboard. Except for a rare few. most agreed that they could not get back on their boat when they actually made 'test jumps' but that didn't deter them from spending mental energy on devising new schemes for getting back on board. I am of the "don't fall overboard" school.
On my sailboat, I find it more practical to hook up my inflatable life vest "D" rings (with 2 lanyards) and clip onto the safety lines rather than a jackstay. This is not here nor there, just the way I prefer it. I can reach and work on either side without going over the edge except for going foreward. When up in the bow area, I just run the lanyard over the top of the life line and then clip it back onto my "D" rings. This, in effect, shortens my lines. Now that I have a small Aft Cabin motor yacht, This will still work when walking forward by running my lanyard over the handholds on the cabin sides and back into the "D" rings again. By having 2 lanyards, one is always hooked up while the other is is being transferred.
The 2 lanyard thing is a required practice when working at heights by all safety standards.

Answers like yours and some of the similar ones are what I plan to adopt in the future when sailing offshore. This forum is awesome. You can always get an answer too your question if you can just put up with some of the Jackassery from some of the folks ( Ladies and Gentlemen) on here........

(-:
Old 07-01-2013, 09:41   #127

Quote:
Hey Z,

Ha, now I better understand the 10,00 plus posts!
doubt it. i been sailing since i was a young kid. over 10,000 miles to date and growing annually as i actively cruise.
in a formosa...LOL
Old 07-01-2013, 09:47   #128

Quote:
doubt it. i been sailing since i was a young kid. over 10,000 miles to date and growing annually as i actively cruise.
in a formosa...LOL
Jeez, she never lets up...................

By the way, I found that I can stay attached to my desk with only one tether................
Old 07-01-2013, 09:50   #129

Quote:
Jeez, she never lets up...................

By the way, I found that I can stay attached to my deck with only one tether................
are you sure you dont mean desk???
Old 07-01-2013, 09:52   #130

Quote:
fixed it, ................thanks, I think? I know you're not trying to be helpful though
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58   #131

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I'm assuming you are aware that Tristan, while an engauging author, was a teller of tall tales. Perhaps 1/2 of the trips he wrote about either never happened, or happened in a very different manner from that recounted.

I'd be careful of taking his bolder statments too litterally.
Why ya gotta take the fun out of everything??? Yes, I didn't quite believe a good bit of TJ's stories even when I read them the first time years ago (before reading the copiously sourced take-downs of him). It is funny what people spend their limited time on in this world, ain't it? There is a very nice little passage about TJ in a book called "Call of the Ancient Mariner" -- well worth checking out. Anway, I began the next paragraph with "seriously" because I intended to discount that particular piece of TJ's wisdom.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:16   #132

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

So no one has brought of the tale of the drifting sailboat with fingernail marks on the hull at the water line from the sailor who didnt have a line over and couldnt reach the toe rail.

Just thought Id through that one out there.

On my cat if I do not have contact with the tiller bar is out of trim enough to basically put the boat in a loop. Unless the autopilot is attached then Im screwed. My boarding ladder basically floats off the back. But with no tail line 10 seconds behind the boat Id never catch it. When I am alone I have an inflatable pfd with light and sometimes a phone in a waterproof case that you can use the phone in with out taking it out.

My 45 footer. If I go over youll find it with my fingernail marks in the hull. I have a boarding platform that can always be down but still getting to it and then getting the ladder down and getting up will be dragged would be a pissah. Again provided I can catch it.

Im pretty sure you could have a proximity system that if you leave the boat it puts the rudder over with out with out autopilot. at least youd have a chance
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17   #133

Quote:
Btw, I did sail yesterday and........................there were us three boats racing and that was it for the sailboats. (plus one oil tanker that we dodged coming out Thimble Shoal Channel, one working fishing boat coming in, and a few power boats. that was it.......)
Old 07-01-2013, 12:51   #134
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
What should you do if you meet pirates? The appropriate response is that with a little forethought and prevention you chances of meeting pirates are slim to none. In a thread about how to get back aboard, having the temerity to suggest its better to take a few precautions and stay aboard seems to me justifiable thread drift.
Old 07-01-2013, 13:21   #135
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Why ya gotta take the fun out of everything??? Yes, I didn't quite believe a good bit of TJ's stories even when I read them the first time years ago (before reading the copiously sourced take-downs of him). It is funny what people spend their limited time on in this world, ain't it? There is a very nice little passage about TJ in a book called "Call of the Ancient Mariner" -- well worth checking out. Anway, I began the next paragraph with "seriously" because I intended to discount that particular piece of TJ's wisdom.
I love reading them!

Tags
Jacklines