Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 14:47   #136

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Jacklines

I wonder if he was using a harness and jackline? In any case, apparently he wasn't able to catch the dinghy trailing astern and pull himself back aboard.
Old 07-01-2013, 23:17   #137

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
This thread has evolved from 'can you get back on boat' to 'dont fall in from the get-go'. About 7 or 8 years ago there was a similar thread on a sailboat sight and what amazed me there was that most of the replies to the thread were new and improved ideas and devices to get back on the boat and relatively few responses on prevention from falling overboard. Except for a rare few. most agreed that they could not get back on their boat when they actually made 'test jumps' but that didn't deter them from spending mental energy on devising new schemes for getting back on board. I am of the "don't fall overboard" school.
On my sailboat, I find it more practical to hook up my inflatable life vest "D" rings (with 2 lanyards) and clip onto the safety lines rather than a jackstay. This is not here nor there, just the way I prefer it. I can reach and work on either side without going over the edge except for going foreward. When up in the bow area, I just run the lanyard over the top of the life line and then clip it back onto my "D" rings. This, in effect, shortens my lines. Now that I have a small Aft Cabin motor yacht, This will still work when walking forward by running my lanyard over the handholds on the cabin sides and back into the "D" rings again. By having 2 lanyards, one is always hooked up while the other is is being transferred.
The 2 lanyard thing is a required practice when working at heights by all safety standards.
Unless boats are involved. I do sometimes think a portable tether would be nice, when working on the sloping rounded cabin top of a 60' powerboat on the hard, looks like a long way to fall on concrete...
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:04   #138
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Year or two ago some Auzzie comes up to Annapolis, experienced dude, buys a boat, heads down the bay intent on Oz. ties up over night near Norfolk. They find the boat next morning doing circles. He apparently fell overboard leaving the dock. Never found the body IIRC.

I sail in 50 deg water, solo. My only option is to stay aboard. Just that simple. I do have a boarding ladder but there is no way I can get back aboard in my wet sailing clothes should I go in.

I damn near went in the drink docking in St. John's, next to the Keg restaurant, I caught myself but screamed in the process. No one ont the open air deck even batted an eye. Grabbed a shroud and lifeline as I went over.

On the way home I found a broken stantion. Upon closer inspection 4 stantion had bad cracks, some just in the metal tubing, were they went through the support rings. Not bent, just cracked. I made all new stantions so that the life lines did not pass through holes, but welded in loops. Stronger.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:53   #139

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Year or two ago some Auzzie comes up to Annapolis, experienced dude, buys a boat, heads down the bay intent on Oz. ties up over night near Norfolk. They find the boat next morning doing circles. He apparently fell overboard leaving the dock. Never found the body IIRC.

I sail in 50 deg water, solo. My only option is to stay aboard. Just that simple. I do have a boarding ladder but there is no way I can get back aboard in my wet sailing clothes should I go in.

I damn near went in the drink docking in St. John's, next to the Keg restaurant, I caught myself but screamed in the process. No one ont the open air deck even batted an eye. Grabbed a shroud and lifeline as I went over.

On the way home I found a broken stantion. Upon closer inspection 4 stantion had bad cracks, some just in the metal tubing, were they went through the support rings. Not bent, just cracked. I made all new stantions so that the life lines did not pass through holes, but welded in loops. Stronger.
Yeah, I believe they towed that boat in and parked it at the Bay Point Marina on Little Creek while they tried to figure out what was going on.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:06   #140

oops meant only to quote this part in regards to safety standards in my post earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tony B View Post
The 2 lanyard thing is a required practice when working at heights by all safety standards
For my boat I plan to do my best to stay aboard, so I think it's a good discussion, I'll be adding lines and a harness soon. However, in the event that I go over anyways it would be prudent to have ways to re board, and therefore the best chances of survival, both discussions are good to have, and even better combined.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:16   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
..... I do sometimes think a portable tether would be nice, when working on the sloping rounded cabin top of a 60' powerboat on the hard, looks like a long way to fall on concrete...
OSHA requires 'fall protection' when over 6' off the ground. Almost every company offshore on the rigs opts for even more stringent safety and requires fall protection anytime over 4' off the ground. Even 4' can cripple or kill if you land wrong. Also note that safety harnesses must have 2 lanyards so when moving, at least one is always hooked up.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2013, 00:29   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post

OSHA requires 'fall protection' when over 6' off the ground. Almost every company offshore on the rigs opts for even more stringent safety and requires fall protection anytime over 4' off the ground. Even 4' can cripple or kill if you land wrong. Also note that safety harnesses must have 2 lanyards so when moving, at least one is always hooked up.
Reality, and osha often differ. I do not like standing on slippery curved surfaces with no edges 3 stories above concrete without railings. But I get the job done. Always have, despite the consequences to my health and happiness.

I know it doesn't always end well, learned the copper coat importer died recently falling off a boat on the hard.
Old 22-01-2013, 08:57   #143

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Fall protection!
What I'd like to see is one of these for marine use. The big problem for now is corrosion.

Quote:
If a fall occurs (any sudden moves), the tension on the rope grab triggers the internal mechanism to arrest the fall. Retractable lifelines automatically retract any slack line between the worker and the tie-off point.
Similar to a seatbelt system.

These allow one to move around without restriction unless one makes a sudden move, which you learn real quick not to move too fast. This saved one of my fellow works from falling off a big vactor truck about 15' up. Getting smacked with a huge wave up on the foredeck is my main concern.
Old 25-02-2013, 20:01   #144

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Has anyone got any photos they can post of there Jackline setups?
A picture says a thousand words & I will be setting some up on my boat soon.

Tags
Jacklines