Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-07-2013, 12:29   #1

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
J27

Anyone with any experience on this boat? I need something faster and more efficient than my Bristol 27 for crossing the bay quickly.

I'm also hoping to be able to fly the spinnaker while singlehanding similar to the the way we do in catamaran racing. Can this be done? w/asymmetrical maybe?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:36   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: J27

Go to the forums at sailinganarchy.com and look in the J/Boat Anarchy section. All J/Boats all the time.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:39   #3

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:43   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

The J/27 will be easy to sail and much faster than your Bristol. With a sock, you can fly an asym single handed.
Old 02-07-2013, 13:40   #5

If you are looking to spend many nights on the boat, the J29 has a lot more space below. There are also a lot more of them around.
Old 02-07-2013, 15:28   #6

I'll look into the sock thing which is what I'm used to. Also, a J29 sounds great but none available anywhere near here that I know of.

This boat was on Craigslist. He's pretty proud of it looking at the price though. It has a new 130 jib he says. It looks to be in pretty good shape too, but I probably won't go 15K. There's an Islander 36 SD (4'9") within 150 miles.

*** J27 Sailboat w/ outboard***

Islander 36 (speaking of more room below) and it's rating is probably around 144 as compared to 126 on the Jboat depending on conditions. Larger seas the Islander would be better I'm thinking. disp 13,600 vs 3800 on the J

1979 Islander Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 03-07-2013, 16:58   #7

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version

Many years ago I owned Hull # 1 for 4 years.
Cruised and raced it extensively.
I also started the J27 Class Association so do know the boat very well.
email me privately if you need any specifics.
Do agree that the 29 would give you more room otherwise the 27 is a sweet sailing coastal cruiser/racer that is easily handled. Also it is a boat that can be sailed above it's rating in both light and heavy air. Most have trailers so yard bills will be a lot less with the 27.
know of boats that have sold for 8K, but you usually get what you pay for.
good luck
Old 03-07-2013, 17:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I'll look into the sock thing which is what I'm used to. Also, a J29 sounds great but none available anywhere near here that I know of.

This boat was on Craigslist. He's pretty proud of it looking at the price though. It has a new 130 jib he says. It looks to be in pretty good shape too, but I probably won't go 15K. There's an Islander 36 SD (4'9") within 150 miles.

*** J27 Sailboat w/ outboard***

Islander 36 (speaking of more room below) and it's rating is probably around 144 as compared to 126 on the Jboat depending on conditions. Larger seas the Islander would be better I'm thinking. disp 13,600 vs 3800 on the J

1979 Islander Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
That Islander looks like a LOT of boat for the money. They are pretty solid. It's thin on electronics but IMHO that is a good thing because you can just add what you want instead of inheriting something outdated. Certainly it's more "dual purpose" than the J/Boat. With a few additions you could set her up pretty nicely for single handing although bringing her to the dock by yourself or into a slip would require some getting used to. She certainly won't be anywhere as nimble as either the J27 or 29.
Old 03-07-2013, 17:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Many years ago I owned Hull # 1 for 4 years.
Cruised and raced it extensively.
I also started the J27 Class Association so do know the boat very well.
email me privately if you need any specifics.
Do agree that the 29 would give you more room otherwise the 27 is a sweet sailing coastal cruiser/racer that is easily handled. Also it is a boat that can be sailed above it's rating in both light and heavy air. Most have trailers so yard bills will be a lot less with the 27.
know of boats that have sold for 8K, but you usually get what you pay for.
good luck

Thanks, I'll definitely be in touch.

I just got back from trying to cross the bay but there were multiple squalls which were providing the only wind so I said the hell with it. I figured it might drop off about half way over and I didn't want that after working all day. Plus, I hate motoring especially downwind where you can smell the fumes.

Point here is I ran into the Wednesday night race fleet heading out. I didn't see anything right off that could touch a J27.

Unfortunately this one does not have a trailer. (but) I know a place I can keep it though cheaply in the off season.

Btw, it was nice sailing back in into the wind this evening. I have tons of sailing miles with the catamarans and it was just enjoyable tonight..........I was soaked from the rain but the sun had come just out. (winds around 8-12) Nice.............

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/3878829653.html
Old 03-07-2013, 18:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That Islander looks like a LOT of boat for the money. They are pretty solid. It's thin on electronics but IMHO that is a good thing because you can just add what you want instead of inheriting something outdated. Certainly it's more "dual purpose" than the J/Boat. With a few additions you could set her up pretty nicely for single handing although bringing her to the dock by yourself or into a slip would require some getting used to. She certainly won't be anywhere as nimble as either the J27 or 29.
I like that Islander but I'm concerned about the shoal draft it has. I'd really like to have the full 6' draft boat. Plus, Kretschmer kinda said the shoal draft models aren't that great.............

I'm still learning this monohull business. I'll be working for a few more years so maybe the speedy, easy to handle J 27 may be the boat for now. (so I can learn this monohull stuff better)

Plus, I haven't cruised much. I've raced............. If I'd had an asymmetrical spinnaker tonight and a fast boat I may have crossed the bay...........I was running the edge of the squall for the wind but of course my old Bristol couldn't keep up. Not dumping on the Bristol though. If that squall had big wind, I'd want to be on my Bristol. She's like 40 % Disp/ballast ratio.
Old 03-07-2013, 18:17   #11

Btw, anyone know where i can find a crew like this guy.............he's working his butt off with the main sheet, downhaul, and mast rotation to name a few...........

Old 03-07-2013, 20:00   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Btw, anyone know where i can find a crew like this guy.............he's working his butt off with the main sheet, downhaul, and mast rotation to name a few...........
Sure. Annapolis

You're on the Chesapeake and you don't want a shoal draft cruiser? Heresy! lol

Yeah, the J's are going to be ton more fun to sail, but far less comfortable. It's all a matter of priorities and needs. The Islander is going to much closer to your Bristol than to the J's, that's for sure.
Old 03-07-2013, 20:04   #13
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Yeah, the J's are going to be ton more fun to sail, but far less comfortable.
That's especially true for those of us who associate being comfortable with remaining dry.
Old 03-07-2013, 20:14   #14

Boat: Creekmore 34

J 27 is a fun boat with a great cockpit layout for daysailing/racing.
I think it is the best design of the earlier J Boats.

WARNING....BE Very wary of soaking wet Balsa in the decks and Hull too. TPI wasnt too careful bedding hardware on the deck, especially around the chainplates

Good Luck
Old 04-07-2013, 05:21   #15

Quote:
Sure. Annapolis

You're on the Chesapeake and you don't want a shoal draft cruiser? Heresy! lol

Yeah, the J's are going to be ton more fun to sail, but far less comfortable. It's all a matter of priorities and needs. The Islander is going to much closer to your Bristol than to the J's, that's for sure.
I wonder how much difference that 1'3" of keel makes. I believe the shoal draft is 4'9". Not sure if the shoal draft keel is longer or just sort of sawed off so to speak. I'm sure more thought would have gone into it though. Right?

As far as the Chesapeake, I'm in Little Creek with the Amphib Ships. It's a bit different here than where I bought the Bristol and grew up 75 miles North. I could only come and go from that marina an hour either side of high tide. But it's still a good point about having a shoal draft here. I just don't want it to affecting the boats stability.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: