Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-07-2013, 06:06   #16

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27
Re: J27

Also, I'm trying to figure out the best boat for now. I don't plan on dropping out of the workforce for a few more years yet so I can't venture off too far on a cruising boat.

So I was thinking the J27 may be good for a little racing maybe but also to explore the area a bit faster and to play with when the wind is up a bit.

Btw, if I lay it on it's side with mast horizontal and sails, etc (spinnaker) all in the water (yard sale !) it'll come back up okay right? I guess you keep the hatch closed on big wind days.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:11   #17

Boat: Voyage 440 Owners Version

would strongly agree with "rigger" in the construction practices of TPI
I also owned and raced a J35 in the one design circuit here in the northeast for 4 years. decided to re-bed my deck fittings one year and when I removed the teak grab rails on the cabin top there was not a bit of bedding compound to be found!
on the other hand the j's are fantastic sailing boats and it sounds like you are coming from a beach cat background so........ wallowing around on a bristol may be a bit boring compared to the sailing characteristics of a jboat. if you are going in the ocean for any extended period of time then buy the bristol.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
would strongly agree with "rigger" in the construction practices of TPI
I also owned and raced a J35 in the one design circuit here in the northeast for 4 years. decided to re-bed my deck fittings one year and when I removed the teak grab rails on the cabin top there was not a bit of bedding compound to be found!
on the other hand the j's are fantastic sailing boats and it sounds like you are coming from a beach cat background so........ wallowing around on a bristol may be a bit boring compared to the sailing characteristics of a jboat. if you are going in the ocean for any extended period of time then buy the bristol.
Yep, I owned 4 different catamarans the largest being about the size of that Tornado above.

I already have the old Bristol 27. I like it. Actually, I like them all ...........sailboats.

The Bristol does get on my nerves though on the downwind. Coming down the bay in a NE wind the darn thing just goes back and forths, back and forths. But some of those waves are steep and closely spaced especially at the tunnel gaps. Throw in a couple container ships and if you aren't totally used to the motion, you get Happy Barf Day!

I'm going to look at the boat in a few before I sail the Bristol. I'll check around on the deck. I'll probably use a surveyor on this boat just for a structural check at least. (and pull it) He wants crazy money for it though 15K. I'm hoping he'll come off that.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09   #19

In todays market if the boat is dry then $12k without trailer would be a reasonable buy.
yes you should get a surveyor (insurance company will demand it) however if you do a little homework on the boat prior, it may save you some $. eg sound out the deck and cabin top for wetness and delam. a moisture meeter would be great if you could get your hands on one. this would at least be a start. If you find wetness it is not necessarily a deal breaker but could be a negotiating point.
yes they always come back up after a broach, just make sure your hatches are closed.
By the way I know of a 27 with trailer for sale by a member of my yacht club. think he is "asking" around $12K with newer galvanized trailer. However boat does need work, sails if you were to race it, and a lot of TLC on my quick assessment. Do not think he has listed it yet. However the picture of the one on your post looks much cleaner and may be a better find.
ciao
Old 05-07-2013, 10:16   #20

Quote:
In todays market if the boat is dry then $12k without trailer would be a reasonable buy.
yes you should get a surveyor (insurance company will demand it) however if you do a little homework on the boat prior, it may save you some $. eg sound out the deck and cabin top for wetness and delam. a moisture meeter would be great if you could get your hands on one. this would at least be a start. If you find wetness it is not necessarily a deal breaker but could be a negotiating point.
yes they always come back up after a broach, just make sure your hatches are closed.
By the way I know of a 27 with trailer for sale by a member of my yacht club. think he is "asking" around $12K with newer galvanized trailer. However boat does need work, sails if you were to race it, and a lot of TLC on my quick assessment. Do not think he has listed it yet. However the picture of the one on your post looks much cleaner and may be a better find.
ciao
Thanks!

I took a look at the boat. looks pretty good. Decks look good. A few gelcoat cracks and some slight discoloration (as in an old leak) on the chain plates on one side (front) but no big deal. Now I just have to figure out whether I need it. It has a new 130 jib.

He's not coming of the price much. I might get it for 14k. The problem is the slip fee on 2 boats. But I know some pretty cheap places.............
Old 05-07-2013, 12:08   #21

Boat "looks clean" and "maybe" worth the 14K but no more, however you may want to sit on it a little longer and let the owner come to grips that it is a buyer's market out there! Do you know how long the boat has been for sale?
On that subject you also need to realize being a two boat owner in this market may mean you will be one for a very long time.
So.......if you are willing to do that then good luck.
Old 05-07-2013, 16:20   #22

Quote:
Boat "looks clean" and "maybe" worth the 14K but no more, however you may want to sit on it a little longer and let the owner come to grips that it is a buyer's market out there! Do you know how long the boat has been for sale?
On that subject you also need to realize being a two boat owner in this market may mean you will be one for a very long time.
So.......if you are willing to do that then good luck.
He had it for sale last year as well. I actually talked to him about it then. I just want a faster boat, but I wouldn't be able to get back into spots I need to get to.

I had another bad anchorage Friday night. 3 hours sleep due to ocean waves but am exploring a spot not marked well on the charts. I squeaked under a bridge this am about 0530 then chickened out when I had only a 1' or so under the keel 2 or 3X about a mile or so in. I knew I only had an hour or so before I'd be " locked in " for 10 hours due to the tide.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: