Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2013, 17:47   #1

Boat: Watkins 27
I've made up my mind...I think

I've decided that I want to go voyaging in a Freedom F25 if the one I want is available or comes on the market in the next couple of months.

This may come as a surprise to the few who've read my handful of postings here. Those folks probably think I'm inclined toward more traditional, more or less full-keeled, boats especially those designed by Carl Alberg in the '60's... and they're right. I love those boats. I love classic designs in general. Hell, I even like John Hanna's Tahiti ketch, saints and ministers of mercy preserve me.

I know it's a heretical thing to say in this sub-forum, but I actually like multihulls too. I've owned a Piver 25' Mariner and I love what John Marples and Jim Brown have done with trimarans. I dearly love Jim Wharram's catamarans and if I were going to build a boat, that's whart I'd build; especiallty his more recent stitch-and-glue designs.

But, here's the thing: I'll be 64 in April and I've wanted to go voyaging for at least thirty years. Why I haven't yet is a subject for another thread in another sub-forum when I'm at least as nearly drunk as I am now

What I want:

A boat easily singlehanded. I don't have an "Admiral" and probably never will. I'm old and ugly and gay; therefore, I'm a singlehander

I'm a New Englander ( I'm a descendant of a Mayflower family) so I like catboats.

I've read Jeff_H's posts denouncing the designs of the 60's and he has a point, even if he is more of a racer than a cruiser :P

Unstayed masts are attractive to me (junk rigs intrigue me) as is Gary Hoyts gun mount spinnaker.

What I like about the F25:

The round mast on hull #'s later than 100 (I think}. I definitely don't think I'd like the rotating wing mast of earlier versions.

All, and I do mean all, lines lead to the cockpit. Never any need to go out on the foredeck.

The interior is actually quite voluminous for such a small LOA and beam.

Relatively cheap to buy and very cheap to maintain.

Excellent performance downwind or on a reach. Not so great when beating but what cruiser is? Anyway, gentlemen don't go to windward

What I don't like:

While I loved my Catalina 30', I'm not a huge fan of fin keel/spade rudder boats for cruising beyond the 100 fathom line. The F25 and F21 have transom hung rudders, and that's a plus in my book, and the fin keel has a draft of less than 4' which is another plus. I guess I'll just have to be very careful about running into things or tangling fish nets and crab pots

The B/D ratio is just over 30% BUT there's a deep bilge over the keel for storing heavy stuff like ground tackle...which is a good thing since there's no foredeck access to a chain locker!

The cockpit is awfully large for offshore sailing but it's very comfortable, ergonomically and the bathtub-like footwell my make a useful rain catchment...an important consideration given the limited tankage

...and the likes and dislike lists go on.

Bottom line, if a suitable F25 shows up on rthe market soon, it's mine. Otherwise I'll buy an F21 and go camper/coastal cruising for awhile until one does
OldPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 17:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I've made up my mind...I think

Old Pelican.... what can I say...

Welcome to CF...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:12   #3

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Re: I've made up my mind...I think

An interesting boat....

http://barefoot.phaup.net/photos/fre...%20Boat%29.pdf

...good luck in your search,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Old Pelican.... what can I say...

Welcome to CF...
Hey! I don't want to hear it from a bilge-keeler who couldn't figure out which side to put the dagger board down on. the English are notoriously bad shipbuilders qanyway. That's why the 19th century Admiralty prize courts paid so well for captured French built ships
Old 16-01-2013, 18:23   #5

Boat: Pearson 281
Welcome Pelican...
I have no idea how these sail so my input is limited but it seems you couldn't ask for a simpler boat and simplicity is a joy as we all know.
The cockpit can always be modified or be used to store things that reduce the volume. Jessica W kept her life raft back there I believe. Stern hung rudders are always a good idea in my book and the keel doesn't sound that problematic.
Is there an owners site on line and can you get a ride on one locally just to make sure it works for you as you think it might and get owner feedback while underway?
Best of luck with the search!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:24   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumner View Post
An interesting boat....

http://barefoot.phaup.net/photos/fre...%20Boat%29.pdf

...good luck in your search,

Sum
I have that pdf saved to my harddrive
Old 16-01-2013, 18:25   #7

Boat: Pearson 281
Wow... funny!
Guess you been told Boatman! HE HE :-) :-)
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:34   #8

Boat: Looking...

Cored hull?

Potential water in hull/deck cores?

Check carefully!
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2013, 18:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsail374 View Post
Cored hull?

Potential water in hull/deck cores?

Check carefully!
Yes. I'm aware of that potential problem area. As near as I can tell, very few boats have exhibited problems here UNLESS an owner has made some careless modifications.
Old 17-01-2013, 00:08   #10

OldPelican, 25 foot is plenty to take a single hander any place other than high lattitudes. I would not use the cockpit for water catching. Do you want to catch water from a place that your bare bum might have been sitting on a half hour before? Better to use an awning with a soft funnel sewn in, or a deck drain that normally drains down thru a thru hull, with a valve in the line that can divert the water to a tank(or tanks). You might want to check out the Quartermaster wind vane for your transome hung rudder, It is simpler than the stainless /aluminum/expensive, contraptions that people hang on the back of their small boats. I too love the Carl Alberg boats, but I will jump off with the best boat I can afford, when I think the time is right. Best of Luck to you!_____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 00:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
OldPelican, 25 foot is plenty to take a single hander any place other than high lattitudes. I would not use the cockpit for water catching. Do you want to catch water from a place that your bare bum might have been sitting on a half hour before? Better to use an awning with a soft funnel sewn in, or a deck drain that normally drains down thru a thru hull, with a valve in the line that can divert the water to a tank(or tanks). You might want to check out the Quartermaster wind vane for your transome hung rudder, It is simpler than the stainless /aluminum/expensive, contraptions that people hang on the back of their small boats. I too love the Carl Alberg boats, but I will jump off with the best boat I can afford, when I think the time is right. Best of Luck to you!_____Grant.
Good tip! I'm pretty sure that company is out of business but they were very popular on Folkboats and Contessas so I might be able to find one'
Old 17-01-2013, 01:06   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
OldPelican, 25 foot is plenty to take a single hander any place other than high lI would not use the cockpit for water catching. Do you want to catch water from a place that your bare bum might have been sitting on a half hour before?
He said, "gay".

Other than that, Semper Fi leatherneck. That is all.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 01:10   #13

I don't know a thing about this type but have you checked this?

Freedom 25 sailboat for sale

Offer $2,500.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 04:11   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I've made up my mind...I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPelican View Post
Hey! I don't want to hear it from a bilge-keeler who couldn't figure out which side to put the dagger board down on. the English are notoriously bad shipbuilders qanyway. That's why the 19th century Admiralty prize courts paid so well for captured French built ships
****.... who builds your boats...
no wonder your still looking while the rest of us are out sailing... don't know the difference between bilge and boards...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2013, 05:52   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
I don't know a thing about this type but have you checked this?

Freedom 25 sailboat for sale

Offer $2,500.

Yeah. I've had it bookmarked. It has the rotating wing mast. I'd prefer the round, fixed mast...but we'll see