Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 15:48   #1

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot
It's down to two your thoughts

We have narrowed it down to 2 that we are making another visit to look at and prepared to make an offer your general thoughts on
1971 41 Morgan sloop
1979 37 Endeavour A Plan sloop
Wife and I will be cruising the Bahamas 6 months a year
BeachbumKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 15:55   #2

Re: It's down to two your thoughts

The Endeavor is the 37 I assume. Hmmm. Either, best condition and confidence in the systems. Pretty different boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 15:58   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

the one in the best condition
Old 21-02-2016, 17:12   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachbumKW View Post
prepared to make an offer your general thoughts
I honestly don't want to sound rude, but every single day people ask this exact question on whatever boat they have seen / are considering.

Unless you are taking us with you, our opinion shouldn't really matter much. The question is: which one best fits your personal wants, needs & budget?
Old 21-02-2016, 17:57   #5

Boat: 39 Fountaine Pajot

I don't think your rude I understand that I was just looking for folks that perhaps had experience with either boat or friends that may have owned one of them. just looking for opinions I'm certainly not going to base my final decision on this thread responses but may take some valuable insight. Thanks for your input
BeachbumKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 07:40   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Which boat 'SINGS' to you? My wife and I looked for 2 years until we found a boat that we both just felt instantly at home on. We considered multiple brands, looked at new and used, went to boat shows all over the states. Then one day our broker called about a boat that had just come on the market and that was it.

Don't 'settle' for a boat, find one that you feel good about.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:47   #7

Depends entirely on your "style" of skippering, of doing the "office work", of eating, of sleeping, of filling your off-watch hours, on your body size, on your agility, on what physical handicaps you might have. The choice is so personal that none of us can make the choice for you.

What I can do, is tell you that for ME, being keenly aware of the above, the "A" Endeavour wins hands down! Why? Because, as I was fond of saying in my youth: "There is NOTHING I do below decks that I don't do best lying down!"

Sleeping while underway? Port side aft "stateroom". A perfect monastic cell. Shut the door and you won't bother other people and they won't bother you. You won't need a leeboard cos it's so narrow. Even in a broach you won't get hurt.

Sleeping in port or entertaining horizontally? Forward "V" is wonderfully roomy when made into a bunk, and when the table is up, it's a nice outta the way place for your and others to fill your gobs without getting in the way of them wot's doing the work. That is true in port as well as under way.

That leaves the best, most useful area midships for the other essentials that you do best while on your feet. "Office" work, pounding the puter, cooking, pursuing hobbies such as soap stone carving or building perfect little model galleons. With that amount of beam and that layout, two people can actually work midships at the same time without falling over each other. But if that's gonna happen while under way, just make sure that there are overhead grab rails in the appropriate places :-).

This layout works once you get beyond five and thirty feet. It doesn't in a thirty footer. Else I'd be tempted to convert TrentePieds. My ideal at this point in my life would be a Fast Passage 39 laid out like an Endeavour "A". "Fast Passage" only because I just love Billy Garden's work. His eye, increasingly as he got more and more work behind him, perceived beauty afloat exactly as mine does. I know nothing of Robbin's designs, really, but E37 "looks" right. Nothing outrée about her at all, just sound conservative integration of all the design considerations by which a sound ship is developed. Interior layout has very little to do with that.

So that's my, very personal, take.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:05   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The Morgan 41 (it is the Out Island 41 I assume) will have almost double the living space of the Endeavor. Great Bahamas boat but it is a 1971 model so old and condition will be king in this situation.

If both are in similar condition and similar price then the Morgan without a doubt. But bottom line will be the condition of the boat and engine. If the Morgan is trashed then forget about it. However there's lots of Morgan 41s around and you could easily find another.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I honestly don't want to sound rude, but every single day people ask this exact question on whatever boat they have seen / are considering.

Unless you are taking us with you, our opinion shouldn't really matter much. The question is: which one best fits your personal wants, needs & budget?
and frankly, there are really no new questions on CF, so why don't we just shut it down?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:30   #10

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

I think making major life decisions based on what some random guy on the internet has to say is something that could very rarely go wrong

OK, seriously. The question you need to be asking isn't which boat is best, but is anyone aware of any specific problems that we should be looking for, as we consider each boat?

Does boat A have a tendency to develop rot, or delamination, or whatever, in particular areas?

That is a question for which people might be able to give you meaningful, and useful, advice.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 09:59   #11
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

make your decision based on your feelings and desires not based on some one else's words.
your ability and desire to enjoy the lifestyle involved with the purchase will depend on how YOU feel about boat, not how jack the ripper or brigitte n bardot or joe q schmuck feel about it.
boat purchases , like choice of spouse, are very personal situations, not decide-able by popular opinion.

endeavors have been known to oilcan, but if you donot sail, you may not ever notice that trait.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:10   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

On boats that old, expect to learn they need >$100,000 refit. Their cheap selling prices (a small fraction the cost of a new one) reflect the ravages that deferred maintenance has taken.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:18   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachbumKW View Post
I don't think your rude I understand that I was just looking for folks that perhaps had experience with either boat or friends that may have owned one of them. just looking for opinions I'm certainly not going to base my final decision on this thread responses but may take some valuable insight. Thanks for your input
I wouldn't go by I had a friend. Or in some respects, I have. Most boat owners seem to tout what they have. Look at what fits your needs, and condition verses cost.

Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:42   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
On boats that old, expect to learn they need >$100,000 refit. Their cheap selling prices (a small fraction the cost of a new one) reflect the ravages that deferred maintenance has taken.
BALDERDASH

proper refits are not generalize-able. only those who CHOOSE to throw away that kind of dough do so.
most proper refits of old boats are priced according to the owners choices of appearance group. real refitting is not bad. shop wisely and do much of your own work so you know how to use what you own
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 10:59   #15

I've seen that 100 000$ refit cost posted many times.
Can I ask what people are doing for that kind of money?
Are we talking dropping a near wreck off at a yard and saying I want it like new?
Or the average person who understands they are going to be learning and doing a lot of the labour themselves and want a solid "reliable" 40 year old boat that looks OK?
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote