Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-03-2016, 00:25   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: It's down to two your thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I honestly don't want to sound rude, but every single day people ask this exact question on whatever boat they have seen / are considering.

Unless you are taking us with you, our opinion shouldn't really matter much. The question is: which one best fits your personal wants, needs & budget?
Perhaps you have too much time on your hands reading all these requests.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 00:33   #32

Boat: Endeavour Sloop 37

Offer accepted on the Endeavour we await the Survey
Thanks to most of you for your genuine comments

Old 02-03-2016, 00:37   #33

Boat: Endeavour Sloop 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
Which boat 'SINGS' to you? My wife and I looked for 2 years until we found a boat that we both just felt instantly at home on. We considered multiple brands, looked at new and used, went to boat shows all over the states. Then one day our broker called about a boat that had just come on the market and that was it.

Don't 'settle' for a boat, find one that you feel good about.
I can't tell you how right on you were about the singing part. I shared your response with the wife and had we both had that mindset and sing she did
Old 02-03-2016, 00:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
On boats that old, expect to learn they need >$100,000 refit. Their cheap selling prices (a small fraction the cost of a new one) reflect the ravages that deferred maintenance has taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
BALDERDASH

proper refits are not generalize-able. only those who CHOOSE to throw away that kind of dough do so.
most proper refits of old boats are priced according to the owners choices of appearance group. real refitting is not bad. shop wisely and do much of your own work so you know how to use what you own
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
I've seen that 100 000$ refit cost posted many times.
Can I ask what people are doing for that kind of money?
Are we talking dropping a near wreck off at a yard and saying I want it like new?
Or the average person who understands they are going to be learning and doing a lot of the labour themselves and want a solid "reliable" 40 year old boat that looks OK?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
that excessive quote is a favorite spew of trolls.
a reasonable 40 yr old cruiser does not take nearly that much, even when run over by a truck.
Just thought I would address this $100K thing with real world facts as to my own experience with "Joli Elle" I won't mention what I paid for her because it was embarrassingly inexpensive. She had a motor that would not rotate 360 degrees, rigging trashed and rat damage. No electronic, no opening ports, no safety gear. I won't go on any further.
To date, I am just under $20K with the ongoing refit. I say ongoing because I am installing items like a Spectra Watermaker, OpenCPN with AIS. You get the picture.
Like a small percentage of people, especially on this forum, I do my own work and I mean 95% of it. The H2O maker I bought from a guy in Fl. that took it off his boat when he bought it and the H2O maker was trashed. I had the factory upgrade the Clark pump and gave the unit the ok. My total cost including what I paid for it was $1200. The same unit is selling for over $8000.
If everything goes the way it's going, I'll be heading into the south Pacific next March. In the mean time, I'm enjoying Mexico even if I am on the hard a lot of the time with installations and hurricane season...but I am having a blast.
In regards to which of the 2 vessels, I would keep looking. The IO is a pig. Sorry, I don't have any other way of saying it. In the yard I am in now, I would say at least 20%-30% of the boats are for sale here. If you're handy, you can get a great deal. If you're not, perhaps you could see your wallet inching towards the $100K mark...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 02-03-2016, 01:09   #35

Repaint hull and deck $20k
Buff and wax gelcoat $60.
Peel and redo a blistered bottom $15k?
Don't buy a boat with blisters and don't give me that grief that all boats have blisters...my HR does not. $0
Rigging, new mast wiring, paint mast $5k
Took down my own rigging and replaced with new turnbuckles also $1700.
New sails $20k
Sails looked at by (honest) sailmaker and refurbished $400.
Rewiring ?
Yup...and new panel that was still in a box I found online from a church charity...around $500 with wire.
Tanks $3k
Integral tank but disinfected $20 for pool shock set up.
Rebuild rudder (wet core) $3k
Sorry...Halberg Rassy...remember
Engine $5-20k
Yes...I had to rebuild. Parts from Mitsubishi (not Westerbeke) $800.
Outside labor (I'm no dummy) $1700. =$2500
Electronics $5k
Yes but I would say any used boat would need this. Used radar, new depth sounder, OpenCPN, garmin GPS Puck, Furuno GPS, VHF (used), GPS EPIRB...$2200.
Autopilot $5k
Came with one but bought a used Sailomat for $400 and machined new bearing for it and a can of paint.
Watermaker $5k
See previous post $1200 Spectra
Batteries and charging system $3k
Again...any used boat you should start with new batteries and Phase III I found in a pawn shop...Total $600
Cushions/upholstery $3k
Met Randy on this forum RandyonR3. All interior cushions with hospital bed foam, 4", outside leeclothes, sail cover, Portabot cover, sheet bags...$1200
and much more...etc
Assuming you do SOME of the grunt work.
I do 95%.

I've had many boats. When I started, I knew nothing. Boats taught me how to work on them. Maybe that's why they take on a life type persona..."She"

Old 02-03-2016, 12:12   #36

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

CS--add in some value for your labor and, by the time it's finished, you'll have arrived at that magic $100k.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 13:07   #37

Sorry...not going for it, if that's all you have to pull out of your hat. So should charge my wife rent, ask my kids to pay me back for raising and educating them?
I use to have a job that paid me. The money from that was the vehicle to achieve my passion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: