Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 00:41   #1

Boat: 30ft-Acen
its bad

well heres the pix of the boat im buying its in bad shape. electricul was done by a retard and is shot now. builge pump is busted or not getting pwr will find out tomaro. eergency hand pump is disabled... thes were very intelegent owners.... lots of mold. the mast is tweeked just a bit but it wan be pulld back with some work. lots of trash and neglect. lots of work. engin is shot think its just frozen. going to pull it and get it on to my shop and give it a WD40 bath and see what i can do. the mettal sea cocks are CRODED im skard to even touch them. heres the link to the pix

shadowrwolf - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

whatsevreyone think 4-5k a good dele?
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 02:41   #2

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
After looking at the pix, I have to ask you do you have a lot of spare time & money? If not RUN!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 02:51   #3

Boat: Privilege 37
They paid you $4-5k to take it?
Old 31-08-2008, 03:13   #4
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRWolf View Post
Just read your other thread. Guam. Sounds like not a large choice of boats in this category to pick from, so 4/5k a good deal? Well, if it's the best around your neck of the woods for low price - it's foot in the door money.....bit more of a project than for my tastes but if she is basically sound and you are not intending to go OTT and are handy with the spanners etc (and like that sort of thing) then sounds exactly what you are after to fill some time.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 03:14   #5

Boat: 13 mtr Adams steel cruiser-"Lady Eileen".)
Once were thrillseekers

ShadowRWolf,

I have just come back from cutting up my 40 ft steel "beast " for the 2nd weekend in row.I was once in a similar position that you are in now -but much more behind the 8 ball.A steel hull that needed much replating but no one could convince me it wasn't worth the effort.Having said that the hull was floating and it only cost me $152.Today I sold the steel plate I had to replate it with and made a quick $1000 profit.The scrap value for the hull at todays rate will be around $1500-1800 which is why I have bothered to attack it with a demo saw and oxy.!!The old 2 cyl Yanmar will go into a 27 ft Roberts I just bought as will a lot of other fittings that came with it.

The above is just to give you an idea of what you can recoup by selling off the parts if you need to in the end.
Luckily I came across a really beautiful 43 ft Adams that I bought and can put my time into rather than the old beast.This was after I listened to some very good advice here first.I really wanted to rebuild the old girl but in the end I listened to reason.
For what it is worth take your time and truly consider the amount of time effort and money that you will need to put in here.What you consider is a good deal may come back to haunt you hard.Maybe consider to sell off the parts and buy another better suited boat ??
Alternately, never be discouraged by anyone if you have the skills, a brave heart AND a very friendly banker or lots of the folding stuff to throw around.
Remember this acronym.
BOAT stands for:
Bring Out Another Thousand.

Good luck with it.

Regards
JC
john connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 04:00   #6

whell i hav a lot of time and i have $ to pore in to that never ending pit out in the middle of the ocian all curser know.
Old 31-08-2008, 05:01   #7

this boat is defonitly meny years from the scrap yard she hase been neglected and abused as a party boat. im dedicated and very very good hands on worker. i have a abundence of time and a decent income thanks to all you who pay tax$ to defend the country frome all those evil "terriorests".

the hull is in good shape. last haull out no blisters. electronics will be easy only a hand full of things to re wire and im a electrishion, just have to juse marine grade insted of house grad that seems to be what these retards used. the mast is a ezey fix. the hull is not cored so no worrys there. there could be some soft spots on the deck il find out tomaro the deck is cored teek. the chain plates are new within the past year or 2. there is a half ass repare around 1 chane plate il be inspecting closer but it just looks rough. taped around the all the deck fittings to see if the cor was soft around the fittings. it was good. there may be something leeking in to the cabbin there was a buckit with watter in it. il inspect closer tomaro maby catch it in the middle of a down pore (happens all the time in uam its raney sezon) engin is posible savabull jus have to see what i can do when i get my paws on it. if not im alredy ok with getting a nother one shiped in. il take my mask and fins as well and do a inspect under the watter (my cam is watter proof may have pix if visibilty isent bad)

think thats the end of my rambling for the night.
:-P
Old 31-08-2008, 05:23   #8

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Save yur famly, sel the boat

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 05:27   #9

lol what famly. cats count?
Old 31-08-2008, 05:38   #10

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Hey Shadow I think you answered your own question. I say go for it.

And thanks for helping defend us from those evil Islamic terrorists. If those pricks get to much of a foot hold we are all f##ked.

Good luck man
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 10:23   #11

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
It will be a lot of work, but if the hull is solid, then the rest can be taken care of relatively easily.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 16:41   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Shadow - It sounds like you are a good general mechanic and that's imporant with old boats. Don't listen to the naysayers about this boat. It would be nice to get it cheaper but I know what it is like to have little choice in boats due to lack of volume.

You just do a good job of rescuing her and post pictures when you get her all dressed up in her party clothes!

You'll definitely have more money in her than she is worth when you are done but sail her for 5-7 years and you'll get your value out.

Keep us posted on your progress and as you have a second look keep your eyes open for "deal breakers"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 19:28   #13

whell shes no longer sinking but the battery is a car battery..... its done running evreything off the charger.
thats all the work im goin to do in her untill she is mine
lookin thrue his inventory of sails
3 main
2 jib
3 gen
think one of each is new
some wood covers are missing but i can fabercate those easly
only 1 matris but its going in the trash
some leakage but easy fix
engin will be manhandled out to a shop.

and 1 question who keeps gas in a blue contaner......
Old 31-08-2008, 19:33   #14

Boat: Beneteau 473
The toilet looks pretty clean!!
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 19:35   #15

i can only hope the tank is as cleen....
cant get to it at the moment