Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2008, 19:59   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You just need to make sure you have the budget, patience and the time to do this. I wish you the best.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 20:02   #17

Boat: 30ft-Acen
ya going to low ball him. theres lots of stuff to bring it down engin #1 being a gigantic rust ball and all
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2008, 20:50   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
AHH! It don't look too bad.

I've seen a lot worse. It just needs a lot of clean up.

The first thing I'd do is get it hauled out and replace the metal seacocks and thruhulls with the newer Marelon. And as for pulling the motor, good idea.

BTW what's with the chain drive?

ABYC Mag My/June 2004
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seacockreg.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	4896  
Old 31-08-2008, 23:14   #19

gave it a bath and the deck defoenetly is in need f paint. it leeks like a siv manly becuse the owner loves his drills and forgot to fill them proprtly, a window leeks duw to half the screws missing, probobly take it apart and check the sceling materal then finde replacment scroos. one of the dranes in the cockpit is draning in to the builge so that will need to get fixed tomaro. wiring will drfonitly striped compleetly out lost of ducktape and electric tape. the thrue hulls are... whell.... i think if i touch them they will decentagrate, cant even close them..... reoly reoly dont want to have to get hauled out becuse out here you have to hire a crane theres no equiped marina. so thats... around 2k maby 2, 45 footer guys got pulld out for.... 1k each and they had the crane for 3 hrs so maby me just over 1k total till a lot of $. the chain plate that was compleetly repared is a decnt job kinda half ased on the cosmetics but its solid.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:08   #20

so with htis boat what shoud my to do list be before i even dreem on leving the marina.

-alredy steeing up plans to pull the moter and pull it apart or get it rebilt
-will drfonitly replace the sea cocks. and doble band them (currently single band)
-the ropes are not as bad off as i thought thow will have extras on bord.
-there is alredy safty equipment on bord flare kit and what not.
-radeo works.
-battery. its a car battery..... its dead, going to get a new one the correct battery.
-re wire evreything, current one skars the hell outa me and is held together with duck tape.....
-may upgrade the buildge pump seems to be a 5gpm
Old 01-09-2008, 01:18   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I'd climb the mast and check

The standing rigging
Spreaders
Upper sheaves
All halyards

You don't want anything causing any more damage

Sinking - All seacocks
Fire - Electrical & Fuel systems checked extinguishers up to date
Dismasting - Rigging checked
Rudder and steering - check all the steering gear upper and lower pintles/gudgeons
Motor - It's a gonner already...

USCG required safety equipment.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:27   #22

-marina is going to hook me up with a new tiller becuse the current one is... shot
-all seacocks are going to be replaced as soon as i can
-standing rigging is in good shape, it is a higher gadge than most boats use thow. il have to order a new chair to go up the mast the one on bord is... skars me.
-as for fire extinguishers... i think i found the origanaol..... no joke jap extuinguisher hafwhay rusted out.... there is 1 other and its probobly no good its chargd but i wont trust it so il order more, probobly 3 1 for cockpit 1 for main cabbin and 1 in the head.
-moter may live but im alredy looking for delers
Old 01-09-2008, 10:14   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

On the seacocks you might want to make sure you have some wooden bungs (of the right size. and for each one) onboard, even before you start fiddling around replacing them......"just in case" .

Not sure how you would replace them with her afloat - but I am sure someone here knows - certainly outside my comfort zone (and skills ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33   #24

very very fast..... naa i have a emergency patching kit just incace something springs a leak fond it and have it sitting very close at hand
Old 01-09-2008, 17:59   #25

one question for my to do list and safty. the matrial that was used on the celing hase been removed almost compleetly. there is meny nice and sharp things just wating to split somones head open. what should i do about these, i also have to fabercate a 2 new celing rails due to 1 missing and the other badly broken.
Old 01-09-2008, 18:25   #26

Boat: 44 footer
Are the sharp things fiberglass strands? Or are they bolts and fasteners holding stuff on deck.

If fiberglass, a piece of sandpaper (say 50 grit...) on a block will do the job.

Do not pick up an angle grinder and expect any pretty results...

If they are bolts and nuts, you can either add stainless acorn nuts to the bottom (Take the nuts to the store and find the thread pitch, or measure them, or get a thread pitch gauge...) and put them on. Or you can take a hack saw or cut off wheel on an angle grinder or dremel and cut them just above flush with the nut. File down flat...

Zach

P.S. It looks like a big project, but you can click my signature to see what you are getting into. I suggest you hire a SAMS or NAMS certified surveyor to come check her out, for a few hundred bucks... just so you know what you are getting into.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 19:32   #27

ya il cut them down and acorn them.
for long term i was thinking slated bords, lose about a 1/2 inch of celing space but that wont kill me. it will match the other slated bords in the V berth and aft berth. looks good in my head il have to draw it out for you guys so you can see what it may look like.
Old 01-09-2008, 23:29   #28

well went to repare the leekey cockpit drane to find that they had used to small of rubber tubing and they had bent it at a 90 degrey so watter was only trickling down the pipes. so i go to close the ceacock... its the old turn valve kind....well... its valv stel literly disentigrated.... soooo i pulld off the tube grabed the emergency kit and pluged the hole. then pluged the drane in the cockpit. so it has 1 good drane that will do for now. it can handle a lot of watter. but after seeing this whell... mot much that i can do except acept the fact that i have to fork out the $ to get it pulld out of the watter.

at this point upon closer inspection of thrue holes it all needs to be replaced. so im pulling the moter then getting the boat craned out then striping the intior electricl and probobly the aft berth so i can axces the fittings under there.

i made a vid so il post it next week probobly becuse the big ship is hedding out for a fue days and draging me along with it...
Old 02-09-2008, 01:34   #29

heres the vid. there was comentary but i sounded bad so no sound. gives a very breef walk thrue, a look at the originol celing materl in the V berth. shows the walve that literly dicentragrated when i turned it, then shows the cocpit drane the thrue hulls and seacocks and my patch job on the reoved pipe

Old 02-09-2008, 01:59   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It's a good thing you were ready for that seacock to break.

I can't' watch the video from work I'll check it out tonight.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote