Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 07:08   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Just watched the video. Hard to tell the real condition from pictures or video but it did raise a few questions.

1 - Up in the forepeak forward of the deck hatch it looks like there is an opening. Is that to launch a spinnaker? Or does the anchor rode come in there to a chain locker?

2 - Saw what you mean about the nuts in the cabin ceiling - ouch!

3 - Is that red handle the seacock handle? It looks like a garden valve.

4 - It looks like the tiller goes through the bench in the aft end. What is the bearing ararngement for the rudder and what condition is it in? If it's got bearings to be replace it could be pricey.

5 - What is that chain pulley system on the engine? Is that driving the shaft or a pump?

Big project. $4k is still high IMO. First order of business is take everything off the boat that doesn't need to be there. Seems to be full of junk.

Good luck in your decision.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:36   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
2 - Saw what you mean about the nuts in the cabin ceiling - ouch!
When I saw them I also felt an ouch

Bit hard to tell what the underside of the coachroof is like, but if me I would be thinking of doing a temporary fix by simply gluing on some wooden (hollowed out) blocks to make the bumping your head experiance a lot less painful . Maybe a coat of white paint or just a clean of the bare fibreglass......and then leave any thoughts on a headlining to much later (if at all!). Besides, a good chance you may need to reseat some of the through deck fittings or even add backing plates - so no point covering them up with a nice new headlining until you have, or know you won't have to.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 13:51   #48

Boat: 30ft-Acen
1 - Up in the forepeak forward of the deck hatch it looks like there is an opening. Is that to launch a spinnaker? Or does the anchor rode come in there to a chain locker?
there is a compartment there, it is coverd by a clear pece of glass, i assume it was for the spiiniker at one point in time since its a old race boat.

3 - Is that red handle the seacock handle? It looks like a garden valve.
it could be. but i know the older vershion of sea-cocks were the turn valve kind. they could be originol to the boat.

4 - It looks like the tiller goes through the bench in the aft end. What is the bearing ararngement for the rudder and what condition is it in? If it's got bearings to be replace it could be pricey.
that is the tiller the berrings are in bad shape and will need to be replaced.
5 - What is that chain pulley system on the engine? Is that driving the shaft or a pump?
i wish i knew it gose to nowhare, just spins...

Big project. $4k is still high IMO. First order of business is take everything off the boat that doesn't need to be there. Seems to be full of junk.
lots and lots of trash. the marina provided a cage and a box to put stuff in so aneything goods going in there.
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 14:09   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
When I saw them I also felt an ouch

Bit hard to tell what the underside of the coachroof is like, but if me I would be thinking of doing a temporary fix by simply gluing on some wooden (hollowed out) blocks to make the bumping your head experiance a lot less painful . Maybe a coat of white paint or just a clean of the bare fibreglass......and then leave any thoughts on a headlining to much later (if at all!). Besides, a good chance you may need to reseat some of the through deck fittings or even add backing plates - so no point covering them up with a nice new headlining until you have, or know you won't have to.
il have to remove whats left up in the v berth and il have to get in there with a scraper to get the glue thats hulding the remander of the fome up there. most of those are frome the missing hand rales, one is up on the v berth the other is MIA. so il have to do repares to the originol then craft a new one, wish my shop was out here and not in the states, not having table, band saws and drill presses will make life hard.
Old 04-09-2008, 14:27   #50

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRWolf View Post
heres the vid. shows the valve that literaly disintegrated when i turned it,
That is the head of a gate valve

The gate is easily jammed by crustaceans and has no business in a salt water environment. In your position, I would jam these from underwater with a soft wood wedge until you can replace them. I would also change your thru hulls at the same time.

In Uk it would be thought fine to use a ball valve

but avoid the brass or stainless valves even the DZK versions or gunmetal, get a proper bronze one.

alternatively, and many people consider to be the best, use a Blake's combined thru hull and seacock

Old 04-09-2008, 14:34   #51

i got 1 thats corked up frome the inside this weekend i need to dive and do a look around the hull of the boat il take a plug with me. if i plug both the cockpit will not drane. so il have to leve 1 open for the time.
this guy wants 4k fore this boat hes neglected for years so i need to find out if hes hiding that he ran it aground witch can happen very easly out here on guam. entire island is suroounded in coral.
Old 04-09-2008, 16:19   #52

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
shadowrwolf it looks like a reasonable deal to me especially if as you say you can do 90% of the work it just looks unkept and dirty hopefully most of the mould should clean off of most surfaces dont know about your cushions inside though and what state are the sails in any keepers ? any way good luck and keep the photos comming
andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 16:31   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I agree with Andy - If you take this on, I'd love to see your progress. There is an old Maxi 77 here that the owner has abandoned. He thinks it's worth $5,000 but it's worth nothing. I have a standing offer in to take it off his hands - so he no longer has to pay mooring. I have a maxi trailer as well but so far the owner won't budge.

Sad really.

Also agree with David - Headliner is last on the list.

Interesting spinaker chute. Maybe someday you'll be launching your self launching asymetric outta there!
Old 04-09-2008, 16:42   #54
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Chain/sprocket is the way the engine is crank started.....

The big red thing is a fuel tank.....

Looks like a Yanmar industrial diesel.....or one that has been marinized for use in a small vessel.

The best way to approach this project is to clean everything out.

Clean every surface.....bilges.....Mentally, it really helps to work in a clean boat...
plus when you want to take a nap....you are not laying on rusted junk......Don't throw anything out....unless it is truly trash....you might not realize that, that rusted fitting or unknown gizmo might actually be something important....I've been/am there.

I call it Recreational Marine Archaeology
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 18:17   #55

well wen i close the dele evreything is comming out and in to the locker and im going to get a resperator or a MCU2P (military gasmask), and my industrual blowers and atack the mold with blech and simple green. i defonitly will keep up a before and after of what im doing. the cushions there is only 1..... its nasty and going in the trash.
as for the Headliner i will be near the end of my list il atak the bolts and screws with my cutter for the time being.

paul im currently working on the price with the owner we are both navy so oure most convient conection is email, its very slow....

thanks chief never planed on tossing much more than the trash out. there is literly a bag of trash in there full of beer cans and stuff.

1 more thing is i tryied running the hull # thrue the database but since its a jap boat and was not a export boat its not in the regestry.
Old 04-09-2008, 18:51   #56
Eternal Member

I have what I call....the 60 percent rule.....For the first 60 percent of the job you will have moments when you feel overwhelmed...it seems like you are not accomplishing much....the boat's torn up, parts all over, delays in getting stuff, discovery of additional work to be done that you hadn't planned on, and....ya can't go sailing.

But you persevere........when you hit 61% is when you can take the boat out for a short hop......ya'still got work to do....but it is a working sailboat again.

Stay on the forum...we will help you out with all the encouragement we can.
Old 04-09-2008, 19:18   #57

thanks chief
today if the sun ever comes out *shakes fist at the clowds*
il dive and see whats going on under the watterline
i dont expect aney serprises
il have my nifty watter proof cam so there will be pix if i find aneything interesting
Old 04-09-2008, 19:21   #58
Eternal Member

Keep the faith
Old 04-09-2008, 19:42   #59

whats evreyone think about that old moter.
restor or toss
its a 1 cilender
that tank on top could be oil
there is a fule tank in the cockpit locker
havent opend it up or traced the line so could be a old tank
nother thing on todays to do list
Old 04-09-2008, 20:22   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do you know what motor it is? Can you even get parts?

If nothing is failed - cam, pistons, crank etc. The cheapest solution is to repair it. Unless of course you can't get a seals and bearings kit.

Then it's probably repower and bigger bucks...