Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 16:31   #1

Boat: Bristol 27
Islander 36 Tabbing Problem?

So there's this really nice Islander 36 for sale new here that I like, but I always worry about the tabbing problems I keep hearing about.

Does anyone know about this in detail that can explain it?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 18:15   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Islander 36 Tabbing Problem?

I owned an Islander Freeport 36 (different boat, I know, but still built by the same yard) and I was amazed at how poorly the boat was built, this despite the fact that a member of my family was president of Islander Yachts at the time it was built. I only kept the boat for two years.

Specifically, we didn’t have any problems with tabbing but the construction techniques over all were poor at best. However, that didn’t stop me from taking my wife and 3 very young children aboard that poorly-built boat up into the Sea of Cortez!

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:29   #3

Thomm225: You wrote "So there's this really nice Islander 36 for sale new here that I like.."

I am going to look at 1 (the same 1?) in the Rock Hall area this week end

Any info etc would be helpful

Thanks

Danny
redbrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 21:46   #4

Boat: Dufour Arpege

Some of the Islander 36's had iron keel bolts and many of them are due for replacement now. There is one here on Shelter Island available for practically nothing but it needs keel bolts as well. Best of luck.
Rod
otterhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 22:50   #5

Boat: Islander 36

I have owned my 1973 I36 for 20 years now.
Yes. They didn’t have everything figured out and refined in 1973. I have done lots of work on her. But I have never heard the negatives I am reading here.

Are there better built boats? Yes.

Can you do what is needed to get a boat with an otherwise great reputation beefed up? Of course.

Remember Zack Sunderland? They chose an Islander 36 for Zack’s circumnavigation.

Yes, I tabbed in my bulkheads. Did that in Mexico, (2013) and made my engine stringers right so my engine would sit still. Also corrected a misaligned prop strut. All of that when the boat was 40+ years old, and a PO had already sailed her to the South Pacific and back.

I also augmented my keel bolts. Went from 8 to 16, while in my slip in Hawaii. Also changed out all my chainplates and stem plate.

When I sailed from So Cal to Baja, (2008) my rigger came with me. His vast experience was much appreciated. He commented, “of all the old production boats, the Islander 36 has always been my favorite. And now because of this trip, even more so.”
Old 22-10-2019, 00:38   #6

For some reason, I recalled this morning about another one of the projects I did on my Islander.

When they bedded the toe rails, they used wood doe.

Must have seemed like a good idea at the time.

I recall 92 screws down each side to pull the toe rails off. Sent them out for anodizing hard black. Rebedded with Sikaflex. BTW, those things are not boat shaped. They went straight when released from the deck.

Not sure why I would be so eager to defend that kind of construction. But I am a proud Islander owner just the same.
Old 25-10-2019, 16:24   #7

Boat: Bristol 27

The problem I kept hearing about was the tabbing of the bulkheads.

A couple boats I was interested in even spoke about this in their ad saying the bulkhead tabbing problem had been addressed

This is the boat I'm interested in but all the interior cushions would need to be covered...….

https://www.northpointyachtsales.com...ander/36/5186/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2019, 18:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The problem I kept hearing about was the tabbing of the bulkheads.

A couple boats I was interested in even spoke about this in their ad saying the bulkhead tabbing problem had been addressed
Funny thing is, I don't remember ever hearing about it. I didn't know enough to even ask. So you're ahead of where I was. I think maybe that point keeps jumping out at you because you're aware of it. It's not a problem that you want to live with.

It's either something that you don't have to worry about because it's done, or a negotiating point if not yet done (assuming that you want the boat and are willing to have it done).

So you know what to ask. It's not an unfair question.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
I have owned my 1973 I36 for 20 years now.
Yes. They didn’t have everything figured out and refined in 1973. I have done lots of work on her. But I have never heard the negatives I am reading here.

Are there better built boats? Yes.

Can you do what is needed to get a boat with an otherwise great reputation beefed up? Of course.

Remember Zack Sunderland? They chose an Islander 36 for Zack’s circumnavigation.

Yes, I tabbed in my bulkheads. Did that in Mexico, (2013) and made my engine stringers right so my engine would sit still. Also corrected a misaligned prop strut. All of that when the boat was 40+ years old, and a PO had already sailed her to the South Pacific and back.

I also augmented my keel bolts. Went from 8 to 16, while in my slip in Hawaii. Also changed out all my chainplates and stem plate.

When I sailed from So Cal to Baja, (2008) my rigger came with me. His vast experience was much appreciated. He commented, “of all the old production boats, the Islander 36 has always been my favorite. And now because of this trip, even more so.”
How difficult was it to do the keel bolts? did you drill & tap? sister?
lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 13:43   #10

Bulkhead tabbing issues has been known for many many years on these boats. I remember discussing it well over 35 years ago. Quality construction is not a Islander 36 bragging point but they sail really well and are attractive to the eye so if you can get one for a song that addressed these issues it still might be a fine buy.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 15:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambo View Post
How difficult was it to do the keel bolts? did you drill & tap? sister?
It’s hard enough that I didn’t do it myself. I hired it done and it was so much cheaper than I thought. Shoot me a PM for details.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:10   #12

She's a sweet looking boat, Tom. No visible signs of leaking... even the Perkins seems to have been well-maintained and they have a reputation for being workhorses although I have no experience with them... self-tailing winches! (as you know, GREAT for single-handing)

Minggat? I'd certainly be interested to hear what you think.

Oh, and the cushions... what? You don't enjoy your interior cushions shouting at you SAILBOATS! SAILBOATS! SAILBOATS! from every cabin? Heehee
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, lambo.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

Minggat? I'd certainly be interested to hear what you think.

:
The only other negative I would add is that I am aware that the resin formula changed in 1974 due to EPA regs. So lots of other builders did too. But I was told that they had blisters like clockwork in ‘74. Don’t know if they got that turned around in 77 or not.

So the survey out of the water should tell you about blisters. Also look for uneven wear on the cutlass to tell you if the strut is aligned with the shaft log or not. The speed at which my prop shaft started freewheeling dropped to about 2 knots, once I got the strut issue resolved.

Check the lag bolts in the aft motor mounts to make sure that they are threaded solidly into the stringers. Mine were threaded into hallow stringers, so the engine couldn’t stay aligned. Fixable if they are not, and a negotiation point as well.

Hope that helps.

PM me for more.