Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 12:12   #1

Boat: Custom
Islander 36

I have tripped over this boat in Australia.

I have done a heap of Internet research and they appear strong and if maintained reasonably bullet proof.

This one has just sailed from the USA to OZ so is well kitted out.

Was built in about 84 in California just before the factory went to Mexico.

They are not well known in OZ so I was hoping you could tell me the good the bad and the ugly!

To put it in context we were looking at a Crealock - very different boat but I think realistically we are several years off a big trip. This seems a more practical hull & rig for the next stage of coastal sailing.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 12:24   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Islander 36

G'Day 123,

The I-36 was a very popular boat in the SF bay back when Ann and I were sailing there, and still has an active one-design fleet in that area. I have friends who once owned one, and it served them well for bay and coastal sailing. From memory, some came with Palmer petrol engines, which were even less desirable than the Atomic 4 of that era. Hopefully the one here in Oz has had a diesel fitted already. The rig was stout and the sailing performance quite good. I recall that the companionway was not well designed for rough wx usage, and that there were few handholds below. None the less, quite a few have done trans-oceanic passages.

For more info, you might try contacting the owners association (I believe it is still in existence) in the SF area. The Latitude 38 magazine and website will likely have the contact info.

Good luck with your search. If you have any specific questions, I might be able to help.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Morning Cove NSW, Oz
Old 23-02-2011, 13:18   #3
cruiser

When did Islander move to Mexico?
That's news to me and I worked with them for years.
I-36 is a great boat.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 13:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob perry View Post
When did Islander move to Mexico?
That's news to me and I worked with them for years.
I-36 is a great boat.
From what I have been told it was in 85 and they folded in 86 but as i said this is what I have been told so happy to be corrected

Old 23-02-2011, 13:41   #5
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Man, I have a soft spot for that boat. I love the lines. I love the deck layout. Not crazy about the cabin, but it is a personal thing, and could live with it.

Before I bought my current boat, I had gone to look at an Islander 36. Unfortunately, she was a mess. I had done a lot of research like you, before driving 250 miles to take a look.

Be careful of the smile "Smile" Fracture in Stem (only a few have had this problem from what I have read), and check closely for mast corrosion at the step.

I'm sure you already know that Zac Sunderland sailed one around the world? There was one in this past Single-Handed Trans Pac too (Ca to Hawaii).

It would be a fine boat, if it passes a survey.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 14:53   #6
cruiser

RTB:
I'm with you on the I-36. After my divorce 35 years ago I lived on an I-36. It was niot the best live aboard but it made me feel self reliant and that's what I needed at the time. It's a very under rated boat.
Old 23-02-2011, 16:10   #7
RTB

Thanks Bob. I was hoping you had a bit more to say about the Islander. I've had 2 good years sailing the Hunter I bought. It was hard to pass up because we could sail right away, and the price was right, and the PO was a great guy. But the Islander still haunts my dreams. The right one could well be my next boat. Thanks for the feedback. It means a lot, coming from you.

Ralph
Old 23-02-2011, 16:49   #8
cruiser

RTB:
Sometimes you just bond with a boat. It's hard not to like the old I-36.

I'd come home from a night at the bar, drunk a wee bit, although I will say in my defense in those days I was a very light drinker, sometimes I just drank coke, put a pot of Dinty More on the stove and eat it out of the pot, Climb up into that V berth and let the world slip by.

Find one with a Perkins 4-107.
Old 23-02-2011, 16:51   #9

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

I owned an I36 in Calif for about 3 years. The gas engine was a dog, but once her sails were up, what joy! Very well balanced boat. Comfortable cockpit, especially the angle of the seats to the cabin walls. She was strong and capable of going fast for her waterline length. A big stick. Most had issues with the keel to hull joint, and if left un-attended that could result in rusted keel bolts.

As Bob said, the interior layout wasn't the best live aboard, but I lived on mine for 2years.

If you like to sail, this is a great boat.
Old 23-02-2011, 17:05   #10

Thanks everyone always good to hear from people who have owned, sailed and lived on one.

Keep them coming

Old 24-02-2011, 04:14   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41

Here is a great link Islander 36 Association, sailing, racing, cruising and maintaining sailboats

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 04:47   #12

Boat: Islander Mark II 30, 30ft - Zephyr

I have a 30ft Islander and LOVE it. It is powered with a Palmer P-60. I have not really had major issues with it. I did have some problems end of last season with the points, but I bought the electronic ignition conversion kit and all is good.

This was my first boat, but have no intentions of getting rid of it. I think it is awesome and sails great and fast.
Captin_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 11:18   #13

Thanks, I was wondering what it was about the interior that you found a bit compromising for a live aboard?

Thanks again

Old 26-02-2011, 03:36   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Be careful of the smile "Smile" Fracture in Stem (only a few have had this problem from what I have read), and check closely for mast corrosion at the step.

I looked at and I36 a few years ago and noticed something that scared me away from it. I don't know if it is related to this.

When standing in the V-berth looking forward at the hull I was looking at the centerline joint right below the deck/hull joint. I could see light coming through the joint. Not directly light from a fracture but the glass was so thin there that the sunlight was clearly visible. The area affected was a good 2 ft long.

I noticed the same thing at various spots on the deck/hull joint around the rest of the boat.

I'd never seen that before on any boat I'd looked at and thought it was odd enough that I didn't want anything to do with that.

Do you think that might be related?
SeaSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 15:43   #15
RTB

I doubt the two are related. I did however notice the same thing (as you) on the one I looked at. I have no idea if it common on all I-36's?