Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 16:36   #46

Boat: Custom
Re: Islander 36

Not sour grapes at all. As I said, I wish you well.
You jumped on the site and "heckled" me for being to slow. I felt that was inappropriate.

I posted a request for information on this site. Spoke to the broker the next week and was told he had heaps of interest after that post and one guy was about to put his deposit down that day. If I recall I posted a topic about the situation at the time, as a result received the excellent advice to not post details.

If you found the boat independent of the site and my post I gladly accept that and I still wish you well regardless, it sounds like you are looking after her well which is all you can ask of a boat owner.

Notwithstanding I still play my cards very close to my chest as a result of my experience with that post.

Good luck with the boat and the rig overhaul

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 16:51   #47

Boat: Islander 36

[QUOTE=Johnathon123;841080]Not sour grapes at all. As I said, I wish you well.
You jumped on the site and "heckled" me for being to slow. I felt that was inappropriate.

I posted a request for information on this site. Spoke to the broker the next week and was told he had heaps of interest after that post and one guy was about to put his deposit down that day. If I recall I posted a topic about the situation at the time, as a result received the excellent advice to not post details.

If you found the boat independent of the site and my post I gladly accept that and I still wish you well regardless, it sounds like you are looking after her well which is all you can ask of a boat owner.

Notwithstanding I still play my cards very close to my chest as a result of my experience with that post.

Good luck with the boat and the rig overhaul[/QUOTE
]
I'm sorry you thought I was heckling you, I wasn't, it's my sense of humour, no I have not seen your comments re what took place before we purchased the boat, My wife rang up out of the blue, it wasn't even in our list of boats to look at, sorry for the confusion, but you are right in not commenting in a potential bargain, good luck in your future searches
cheers Wayne
wayina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:27   #48

wayina,what price was your Islander advertised at?Was the seller the person who brought it from the US?Did it have serious cruising equipment or is it more a coastal cruiser?
nonam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 18:39   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam View Post
wayina,what price was your Islander advertised at?Was the seller the person who brought it from the US?Did it have serious cruising equipment or is it more a coastal cruiser?
82,500, yes a russian chap and his wife, really a coastal cruiser equipped, he was a braver man than me, I wouldn't have sailed across the pacific with what he had on board, then again I'm a bit older and less brave
cheers Wayne
Old 19-12-2011, 15:03   #50

Boat: 72 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Not sour grapes at all. As I said, I wish you well.

Good luck with the boat and the rig overhaul
One thing on your side, there are a few still for sale. Maybe not as close in, but for the price difference, you might get one delivered close enough.
wbranner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 19:24   #51

wayina if you are pulling the mast,make sure there is no rusty steel plate under the mast.
Old 28-12-2011, 10:08   #52

Boat: 72 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayina View Post
Its now been changed to tuesday, not a problem will take a few pics, this is the firrst time I have pulled a mast, but thankfully not the riggers, must admit I'm starting to get nervous lol.
cheers Wayne
Hopefully things went well. Did you manage to get any pics?
wbranner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 22:20   #53

Sure did mate. I'm on a phone now but will get to the office and upload the pics. It was a very interesting and expensive exercise. I see where boat units come in now. Be in touch soon cheers wayne
Old 29-12-2011, 22:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam
wayina if you are pulling the mast,make sure there is no rusty steel plate under the mast.
Found that thanks. Seems to be rust free and the mast step was corrosion free. All dry as a bone actually. Not sure how it comes out though. Mast is being stepped some time after the 20th jan. Boats on the hard at the moment getting a good clean
Old 01-01-2012, 06:32   #55

S/V Odyssey
Blog is about a guy trying to sail an I36 around cape horn.He is having to divert into Chile because he says his mast step plate is "bending".I bet that it is actually disintegrating and collapsing due to rust.It might be interesting to watch that blog and see how he handles it.He has got 2000 miles just to reach his chosen port.I wonder if he considered turning and going somewhere like Ecuador?If he has to beat and pound with that rig he might not make it.
Old 02-01-2012, 19:28   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonam
S/V Odyssey
Blog is about a guy trying to sail an I36 around cape horn.He is having to divert into Chile because he says his mast step plate is "bending".I bet that it is actually disintegrating and collapsing due to rust.It might be interesting to watch that blog and see how he handles it.He has got 2000 miles just to reach his chosen port.I wonder if he considered turning and going somewhere like Ecuador?If he has to beat and pound with that rig he might not make it.
Actually on my boat the metal plate is esupported on all four sides by 75mm wide wooden formers glassed over and faired into the hull. So the metal must have rusted away and corroded the mast step as well leaving the mast to punch its way through the formers. Next stop for the mast is the hull itself. There is a bolt through the mast collar and mast. That means the mast is springing on this bolt attached to the deck/mast collar. Hmmmm not good