Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 17:04   #1

Islander 28

Anybody own or have any experience with an Islander 28? I'm looking at several I'm intersted in, mostly late'70's models. I would hope to use it mostly for coastal cruising, with perhaps a Gulf of Mexico crossing from time to time. My wife and I currently own a Hunter 23 which we spend as much as a week at a time on, so we're used to small boats. Would appreciate any comments or opinions on the I 28. Thanks in advance.
Dave
daven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 18:09   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Daven,
I've sailed on a couple Islanders. I appreciate their quality and would say that if it were in good shape and a good price it would be a great boat for what you want to do.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 19:21   #3

Thanks John, there seem to be a lot of boats in that size to choose from, but I'm really leaning towards a Bob Perry design.
Dave
Old 01-03-2007, 20:55   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dave-
Spent lots of time on an I28. A heavily built boat, not for light air sailing, but solidly built and incredibly well balanced. She'll self-steer for hours once you balance the sails, no hand at the helm, over a wide range of conditions. That's spooky--but nice.<G> Even Bob Perry has said he did very well with that design. The original plans apparently called for a keel stepped mast, but Islander went deck-stepped with an odd offset support under it for a more open cabin. The decks are not balsa cored, they used Bruneel plywood--dense, heavy, and water resistant.
But on anything that old, you may find leaks in the windows (replacement windows & haches still available from the original maker, Mark Plastics in CA) and at the chainplates, and you need to follow those carefully.
The engines are typically old Volvos, which can be worn out from salt water by now--or perfectly good.

I've been on one in 8'+ seas and 30+ knots, and when reefed down she just puts her shoulder into it and plows through very nicely. You'll hear the mast supports and all working, but you can have confidence in the boat if she's been maintained.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:41   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
i would go with a full or modified full keel boat for cruising
Old 05-03-2007, 17:23   #6

Thanks for all the input guys
Dave

« Keel Length | Jeff, »