Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 06:24   #1

Boat: still on the hunt
Question Island Trader Motorsailer 46

Hi, all we've been looking and looking and going over sailboats and I think we have found the right boat for us. looking for some feed back on a island trader motorsailer46fter. the wife wants the room and it looks like a boat load of room to me.
thanks
jeff
jac231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 07:20   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
there's an island trader 40 MS up here in jax on the ortega river you may want to take a look at .. listed in yachtworld.
Old 29-03-2010, 08:09   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jeff.

Good luck in your boat-hunt! You may be interested in a couple of our earlier discussions of the Island Traders:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6-a-14108.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6-a-30772.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 08:12   #4

That one sold last Wednesday theirs two more in so Fla we want to look at
thanks
Old 31-03-2010, 20:19   #5

Hi: We have been looking at (presumably the same?) FL 46 Island Trader boats for some time; Accommodations are the draw - but sea handling is an often reported problem. They are basically "bobbing" motor sailers with poor sailing characteristics. Not that great at motoring either. BUT, we are looking for a Great Loop boat, and it might just do the trick. We wonder if the 5'6" draft of the 46 Island Trader might be more of a limiting factor than we anticipate. Any recommendations and insights from Loopers would be very much appreciated!
DutchProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:16   #6

we were looking at it for the same reason the beam not as much the loop yet but as a live aboard.We are still in the 7 to 5 world but our last child is in collage this coming year and its time for my wife and I to start our 2nd life.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:25   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35 Berzerker
Practical Sailor had some pretty strong opinions about Island Traders-can't say whether the comments would taint the 46 or not
Island Trader 37/38
Anzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzo View Post
Practical Sailor had some pretty strong opinions about Island Traders-can't say whether the comments would taint the 46 or not
Island Trader 37/38
If not, it should IMHO.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 16:33   #9

Island trader 46 in Stuart Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac231 View Post
Hi, all we've been looking and looking and going over sailboats and I think we have found the right boat for us. looking for some feed back on a island trader motorsailer46fter. the wife wants the room and it looks like a boat load of room to me.
thanks
jeff

We have one for sale in Stuart Florida, new deck, new masts, no leaks, no rotten wood. take a look at Yacht world

Ingegerd
ingegerd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2010, 17:33   #10

Not meaning to go off-thread... but...

Hi: I had previously looked at your boat in Stuart - it also is a good example of the incredible spaciousness of the Island Trader 46. For my Great Loop intentions a Ketch however, is not desirable. I need to be able to easily lower the mast with a tabernacle to clear the various bridges. Height restriction is 15'6" so I can get into the Finger Lakes, and ideally into Canada.
On a sloop rigged boat, installing a single tabernacle, and operating it, is not a difficult thing. Managing multiple masts on a ketch makes propulsion quite tricky, especially when locking through with a Mizzenmast hanging off the back.... Also, for the Island Trader 46's its 5'6" draft is a limiting factor. You have to sign a waiver going into some of the Canadian waterways if your draft exceeds 5'. So I looked hard at the Island Trader 40. Also a nice boat, but their idea of a "queen-berth" is 48 inches - not quite our idea of comfort...
So now, this sailor is looking (cannot believe I am saying this) at a TRAWLER. Looking specifically at a 44 Marine Trader Trawler - same yards built them - same set of problems - only redeeming factor is that the one I am considering has a small staysail.... So I am not a complete 'traitor' yet
So, is anyone on this - or other - thread(s) able to shine any light on why I should either stick w the 46, reconsider the 40, or stay away from (or enthusiastically embrace) this specific Trawler. Other vessels that you would suggest I pursue?

I would very much prefer a motorsailer as my Great Loop Boat - hence my interest in this thread - but when you start looking at the applicable limitations for Looper boats, there just aren't many designs that I have found:
Draft: Not to exceed 5 Feet, ideally 4'6" or less;
Height (Tabernacled mast down) Not to exceed 15'6";
Ideal Beam: Not to exceed 12 Ft. (= a pipe dream, most are 14 - 16 ft., but 12 would make you fit into most standard berths in marina's and make you spend less time on the T-dock...
Should be large enough to offer a couple and guests a reasonable degree of privacy... two heads (backup); either twin prop, or single w Bow thruster with a sail plan as back-up - efficiency secondary, but should be able to beat off a lee shore....

Now ironically, with a few clicks, I can find a dozen different designs in Western Europe - "French Canal Boats", but in the US, those designs appear to be in short supply, definitely among the more economically priced vessels.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated - or I might have to buy that Trawler after all...

Good and safe sailing to all!
DutchProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 04:54   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingegerd57 View Post
We have one for sale in Stuart Florida, new deck, new masts, no leaks, no rotten wood. take a look at Yacht world

Ingegerd
thanks ingegerd i'll havea look
Old 08-02-2011, 18:50   #12

Boat: 1988 46' Island Trader by Marine Trader
We own an Island Trader 46

We recently bought an IT 46 and love her. Here's our blog.

www.matthewandjuliesail.blogspot.com

Coup D' Amour
Coup d Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51   #13

Re: Island Trader Motorsailer 46

Island Trader 46 Owners | Facebook

Old 10-06-2012, 02:47   #14

My wife & I spent 8 years on one. They are great live-aboard boats...there`s storage space everywhere. The sailing qualities are minimal, but it motor-sails just fine. I ran the 120hp diesel at about 1200rpm and attained her hull speed, while only burning a little over 1 gallon per hr. Given the huge amount of fuel tank capacity, the cruising range was fantastic. My biggest gripe was the sliding glass windows in the pilot house. The drain scuppers in the window track is sooo minimal that they constantly plug up....and can cause serious rot in the wood under the fiberglass.
ncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:42   #15

ncarter, which one did you have? I am trying to place owners with boats. There is a list on the Facebook page of all the IT 46's made. It's in the 'notes' section. We know all too well about the drainage issue. That was one of the first things we tackled.

julie

Tags
island trader, motorsailer