Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2011, 13:38   #16
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

needless to say its a cruiser not a racer...speed is not the reason to own this type of sailboat...so the boat being a litle slow is no argument.

perhaps the most meanigless argument to shy away from them is Leaky Teaky...this is nonsens in my opinion...anyone with a little patience can do the work needed to restaure a deck...its no rocket science...and usualy only a small part of deck needs work...on my boat its limited to aft between hatch and cabin...as members sugested il wait to be down south and let the sun do most of the work for me, befor I start unscrewing teak and recoring deck...really nothing to stress about.
however if one is going to pay for this refit, then yes it will cost a leg
__________________

__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 13:42   #17
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
, is a good chance you will actually make it out into the deep blue sea and you will be safer out there than in a low freeboard , well-rated more modern less gorgeously presented boat...
Generalized statement born of what? I am pretty sure that opinions are usually fairly subjective when it comes to boats. Kinda like some ppl liking co'cola and others being of the pepsi persuasion.

Safe is also subjective.. no really.... it all depends on the boat and the person fitting it for whatever their plans are. All sorts of boats nowdays go out into the Blue and cross oceans. I just followed friends adventure on a Catalac 35 while they crossed the atlantic to spend the winter in london at a marina. It was an interesting ride for them. and they came out quite well.. then you hear other stories.. its all coke and pepsi..
YMMV
__________________

__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 13:47   #18
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
needless to say its a cruiser not a racer...speed is not the reason to own this type of sailboat...so the boat being a litle slow is no argument.

perhaps the most meanigless argument to shy away from them is Leaky Teaky...this is nonsens in my opinion...anyone with a little patience can do the work needed to restaure a deck...its no rocket science...and usualy only a small part of deck needs work...on my boat its limited to aft between hatch and cabin...as members sugested il wait to be down south and let the sun do most of the work for me, befor I start unscrewing teak and recoring deck...really nothing to stress about.
however if one is going to pay for this refit, then yes it will cost a leg
Jobi, have you ever had the joy of removing a teak deck and then plugging something like 3,000 holes and or removing rotten deck and reglassing.. it is not for the faint hearted. Some ppl are not real inclined to that kind of repair and remember those boats _earned_ that nick. btw.. try captain tully's creeping crack cure on some places that are not to badly leaking. I had great luck with it on hand rails and windows as well as a few other small places.

Look at airex core for your deck.... LeComte was building boats with it in the early 1960's and they deck on my last boat was rock solid after 44yrs..
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 14:13   #19
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Jobi, have you ever had the joy of removing a teak deck and then plugging something like 3,000 holes and or removing rotten deck and reglassing.. it is not for the faint hearted. Some ppl are not real inclined to that kind of repair and remember those boats _earned_ that nick. btw.. try captain tully's creeping crack cure on some places that are not to badly leaking. I had great luck with it on hand rails and windows as well as a few other small places.

Look at airex core for your deck.... LeComte was building boats with it in the early 1960's and they deck on my last boat was rock solid after 44yrs..
the problem on my deck is just a small erea...nothing to wory about.
however I know some visitors have turned the boat down befor me for that reason...if I was to do a total deck refit, I would not glass individual holes...id cloth and glass the entire deck then epoxy teak no screws...the way it should have been from start

iv owned a bodyshop for many years and done extensive FRP work...I think anyone with patience can do the work and be happy with results.
I am in no rush to refit this ship...maybe 2-3years from now?? meanwhile I focus on my HR28 and hope to sail off ASAP (if uncontrolable events ever stop keeping me on land)
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 14:36   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

my statement is borne of having been pooped in gulf of mexico on a sloop with 3-4 ft freeboard sailing thru that kind of seas i sailed my formosa thru without incident. it is also borne of having bashed my way north in pacific in sloops with low freeboard and hating every stinking wet bludi minuet of it.
formosa and ct and island trader and the designated alleged leaky teaky heavy displacement cruisers can do a lot more in a lot more seas than can these low freeboard performance boats.
sailing these bricks solo is also a lot easier than ios sailing a sloop or cutter solo. the split rig a ketch presents with is much more conducive to accepting heavier air, as is the deep- heavy displacement hull. the wide decks also have a benefit-- being able to sail solo and being comfortable going forward if need be. always use a tether. is safety measure.
those who own these bricks love them and love sailing them and actually are able to get speeds out of them other non brick owning folks do no0t realize, as the non owners go only by the numbers posted in some list of statistics somewhere. i f you love the boat, and like sailing slow and safe not fast and wet, go for it. also see leaky teaky yacht club as those folks are owners of these.
bella is good at pointing out the extreme disasters a neglected leaky teaky CAN have--the one you are looking at is a one owner beauty and shouldnt be in such bad shape as to warrant some naysayer's severe lecture series.
airex coring for a formosa or other heavy boat that was an dis in need of ma9intaining its weight is not asmart thing to do . is great for a performance sloop or cutter but inappropriate for our heavy bnabies,l jobi-you already know the deal, as you have been with leaky teaky group.
there is a BIG difference between speaking of something without the first hand knowledge of the marque and first hand owner point of view.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 14:52   #21
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
the problem on my deck is just a small erea...nothing to wory about.
however I know some visitors have turned the boat down befor me for that reason...if I was to do a total deck refit, I would not glass individual holes...id cloth and glass the entire deck then epoxy teak no screws...the way it should have been from start
That's the way to do it... just a lot of job for some people and those who don't like glass work or are afraid of it. The cost would be steep.

Quote:
iv owned a bodyshop for many years and done extensive FRP work...I think anyone with patience can do the work and be happy with results.
I am in no rush to refit this ship...maybe 2-3years from now?? meanwhile I focus on my HR28 and hope to sail off ASAP (if uncontrolable events ever stop keeping me on land)
Ah body shop... oh you are a glutton for punishment..
Spent a summer in my youth prepping cars to be painted for my uncle
he had almost free slave labor.. lmao...
Gotta remember that not everyone likes the DIY stuff, or has the patience to do it.
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:11   #22
Registered User
 
bella's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Old SouthEast
Posts: 244
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bella is good at pointing out the extreme disasters a neglected leaky teaky CAN have--
If you bother to read my first comment in this thread it had nothing to do, per se, with the brand itself but general advice on buying any boat. With a few small specifics.

Quote:
the one you are looking at is a one owner beauty and shouldnt be in such bad shape as to warrant some naysayer's severe lecture series.
Any boat that old, that has not been upgraded may need to have some things brought forward no matter how lovingly cared for. Any engine with high hours on it, needs to be watched and serviced. I owned a boat that I was the second owner of. It too was well cared for. However the wiring, stove and icebox needed to be upgraded..

Quote:
airex coring for a formosa or other heavy boat that was an dis in need of ma9intaining its weight is not asmart thing to do . is great for a performance sloop or cutter but inappropriate for our heavy bnabies,l jobi-you already know the deal, as you have been with leaky teaky group.
My Medalist was not a performance cruiser and it was not a lightwt boat.. it was built as an offshore boat. In fact mine was bought IN the Netherlands and sailed across the Atlantic in 1962 to Annapolis by the original owner. airex is a lot lighter than you may realize. I did a LOT Of research on it before we replaced a bombay clipper decks with it.. wt wise it is no more than the balsa or very little.. I ordered some of it from the manufacturere while in the decision process along with a spec sheet and then talked to a naval architect. It is significantly more expensive and I suspect that is the reason it is not universally used. It was a private owner who decided to go with the product.

I realize your comments are born of personal opinion and a love for these boats.. Mine are born of pragmatic objectivity in boat buying for anyone.. esp if a boat is older. I would say my first comments about any used boat that is 30 yrs old of any brand or make. Fair winds..
__________________
bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:19   #23
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my statement is borne of having been pooped in gulf of mexico on a sloop with 3-4 ft freeboard sailing thru that kind of seas i sailed my formosa thru without incident. it is also borne of having bashed my way north in pacific in sloops with low freeboard and hating every stinking wet bludi minuet of it.
formosa and ct and island trader and the designated alleged leaky teaky heavy displacement cruisers can do a lot more in a lot more seas than can these low freeboard performance boats.
sailing these bricks solo is also a lot easier than ios sailing a sloop or cutter solo. the split rig a ketch presents with is much more conducive to accepting heavier air, as is the deep- heavy displacement hull. the wide decks also have a benefit-- being able to sail solo and being comfortable going forward if need be. always use a tether. is safety measure.
those who own these bricks love them and love sailing them and actually are able to get speeds out of them other non brick owning folks do no0t realize, as the non owners go only by the numbers posted in some list of statistics somewhere. i f you love the boat, and like sailing slow and safe not fast and wet, go for it. also see leaky teaky yacht club as those folks are owners of these.
bella is good at pointing out the extreme disasters a neglected leaky teaky CAN have--the one you are looking at is a one owner beauty and shouldnt be in such bad shape as to warrant some naysayer's severe lecture series.
airex coring for a formosa or other heavy boat that was an dis in need of ma9intaining its weight is not asmart thing to do . is great for a performance sloop or cutter but inappropriate for our heavy bnabies,l jobi-you already know the deal, as you have been with leaky teaky group.
there is a BIG difference between speaking of something without the first hand knowledge of the marque and first hand owner point of view.
you know I have nothing really bad to say about these sailboats...they in my eyes are the best looking ships iv seen...I do understand built constraint and why some have been a little shy on glass work...however I do not belive for having seen first hand the work, that these ships should be considered unsafe, unreliable or in anyway structuraly deficient...in fact when compared to most contemporary sailboats they are prety strongly built.

I absolutly love islande traders...mine will eventualy be my first residence some day...meanwhile il go hobbyhors my hr28, I know she will be a wet ride (low freeboard) but she will glide me safely thru all kinds of wheather, and in comfort few much biger boats will do.

be safe zee have fun...remember iam right behind
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:26   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

thankyou jobi--these were made for deep water use and long distance sailing. awesome comfort and beauty under sail. easily handled solo or short handed or with a huge crew..fun to sail. just ask a leaky teaky yacht club member who owns one.

mebbe ye will catch up, steeve-- will be here for a couple more months --need to restitch my headsail...lol just a tad. arent any sail makers here--have to haul it into an upholstery shop or wait for a cruiser to come in in niv.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 15:52   #25
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,461
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadcat7382 View Post
Looking to purchase a Island Trader38 ketch, please let me know your opinions on them, good, bad or indifferent!
Thanks,
It's kinda interesting: the OP asked for opinions, good, bad or indifferent.

We have had enthusiastic raves from some owners. These tend to be folks who have chosen this style of vessel and now defend their choices, and they certainly represent a valid point of view.

A few others have pointed out some shortcomings of the design, with reasonable documentation or support for their statements.

The proponents seem to go ballistic when their babies are not praised unconditionally. This doesn't serve the OP's situation very well.

IMO (remember, he ASKED for opinions) it is appropriate to point out the dismal performance numbers for this design. They may or may not matter to the OP, but he should be made aware of them. Doesn't mean that Zee shouldn't LOVE her Formosa, or that Jobi shouldn't plan to live aboard his Trader. It does mean that the oft mentioned lack of sailing performance, especially in lighter conditions, is not just heresay, but has a theoretical basis.

I hope that the varied opinions expressed herein have helped the OP in making his decision.

Cheers,

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 16:03   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

they dont sail in light air they do sail beautifully in heavy air and tolerate big seas nicely. racing standards are not appropriate to place on a heavy brick of a cruiser.
there are different strokes for different folks, and if ye have a passion for htese boats, this one the op mentioned is a goood one, as is a one owner boat.
i believe i said that a few postings ago. i also mentioned he should see leaky teaky folks for more info.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2011, 16:15   #27
Registered User
 
Butler's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Pearson 281
Posts: 678
Images: 18
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Well said Jim.
All boats have their good and bad points and it's great that the OP got the range of opinion and fact that he did. Hell, I'm on a Dreadnought and would not necessarily turn my nose up at an Island Trader but I sure would want as much of the pros and cons in front of me as possible before I invested sooo much money.
Having done too much repair and restoration that has kept me stuck in port way too much I appreciate also the fact that buyers also need to understand how much of that potentialy lies before them.
This is a great site and am now convinced of the value of becoming a supporting member (as soon as I get a job!).
Bella... good to find another LeComte owner... Dolph was a bit ahead of his time and I found a lot of frustration in that beautiful ocean going racer(mosltly due to previous owner neglect)but the Airex deck was not one of them! Will drop a line on your profile page.
__________________
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 01:23   #28
Registered User
 
Deadcat7382's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 38
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Thank You for all your thoughts and opinions. Let me state that I will not being going into this blind. I am well aware of what practical sailor says about them, and what the people who own them have to say about them on Leaky Teaky, I am also aware of their Sail area being small.

I asked for everyone's opinion because i believe it is the best way to get the unvarnished opinions on something.

Before I buy i will have a survey done on both the boat and engine.

thank you again for all your comments and opinions.

Paul
__________________
" off the wind on this heading lie the Marquesas"

"Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On"
Deadcat7382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 04:14   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,586
Images: 240
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
... at leaky teaky site there are actually folks who OWN and SAIL these--is why i sent ye there-- they can tell ye what you are seeking from a point of view of an owner of these boats ...
... a non owner cannot tell ye anything about the boat at all just opinions ...
Just a you might not expect a mother to have the most objective view of her child, so a boat owner may be expected to have a certain love/fondness for their own boat.
Boat model owners should not be the only source of unbiased information & opinion about specific boats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Going through this thread I can see the thing I like best about CF. I don't think a prospective buyer could get a more balanced or comprehensive perspective on a boat or a better understanding that the decision to buy a boat usually one made with the gut and not the head. This thread does a great job of conveying the notion of the compromises inherent in boat design and in being able to make a good decision, good meaning informed and well considered for the long-term.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2011, 08:47   #30
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Island Trader 38 Opinions

I liked the approach Jim Cate takes. I guess if you are not concerned about the performance because they will not sail well to weather, slow and difficult to maneuver in a slip, go for it. It might look great and has been well taken care of but it is still lip stick on a pig.
__________________

__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
island trader

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Leopard 38: Leopard / Moorings 38 / 39 William Black Robertson & Caine 27 26-11-2013 15:22
Any Feedback on Admiral 38 ? loowigi Multihull Sailboats 6 18-08-2011 19:26
Beneteau First 38 Torrell Monohull Sailboats 0 24-07-2011 08:44
Mast Down on Mooring/Leopard 38 Ashanty Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 11 08-07-2011 17:41



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.