Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2016, 09:27   #121

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Island Packet Closing doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
(blah blah blah)...dated, ugly design.
This from a guy whos avatar looks like a streamlined marshmallow. Seems theres no accounting for taste, hmm?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 09:39   #122
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
This from a guy whos avatar looks like a streamlined marshmallow. Seems theres no accounting for taste, hmm?
Returning to my original quote which you conveniently edited...

Island Packet and Shannon among other manufacturers, went out of business for two reasons.... They continued to build boats which nobody wanted at the price point and failed to create new exciting designs that prospective buyers of new boats were seeking.

It's really just that simple.

I can name two or three other US based manufacturers currently using the same design and marketing model who will also be going out of business in the near future, but I see no reason to upset those folks here on CF. That's 's just how capitalism works... A company needs to provide a product or service that people want to buy.

Only five weeks until we're back on the water.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 09:48   #123

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I agree about the European designs. Clean, sophisticated, in tune with people's desires, innovative, and sexy.
I love the European designs too ... They express my love for Ikea like nobodies business, and all the sharp edges provide free body paintings in all kinds of pretty colors

But seriously: IP's may not be my personal choice, but I'd be more then sad to see IPY close their doors, if that is indeed what's happening.

Guess we'll know more Tuesday.
Old 28-02-2016, 09:52   #124

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
7 knots on an island packet? i doubt it unless you are in a gale. and if a builder insists on aluminum tanks and bizarre chainplate systems why not provide a way to maintain them without destroying much of the boat to do it
Gotta be a reason they are called Island Piglets, huh?

Never sailed one, never been onboard one, but the lines tell the story as with any boat

Shallow full keel plus heavy construction - doesnt go to windward etc. Etc.

Nothing against full keelers, they normallly servive a griunding, most of the others don't.

Seaworthiness - as per Marchaj- is out of fashion. So called ' modern boaters' rely on sat phones, inflatable 'life" rafts, and insurance policies for safety at sea.

Those of us who rely on experience, self suffixiency and prudency are a Dying breed.
Old 28-02-2016, 10:02   #125

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Nothing lost. More akin to the takeover of fuel injected engines. There were some bumps early on but now no one wants a carbureted engine in their new car.
I can see the logic in that...but that also leaves fewer choices for people that prefer the simplicity of carburetors? I just hate to see the elimination of rugged "old fashioned" types of cruising boats in favor of more "modern" design philosophies...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:20   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
7 knots on an island packet? i doubt it unless you are in a gale. and if a builder insists on aluminum tanks and bizarre chainplate systems why not provide a way to maintain them without destroying much of the boat to do it
Speed is defined by the waterline of the boat... light or heavy, ugly or a racing sled.
Sure you can get quicker acceleration on a lighter boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:28   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
Gotta be a reason they are called Island Piglets, huh?

Never sailed one, never been onboard one, but the lines tell the story as with any boat

Shallow full keel plus heavy construction - doesnt go to windward etc. Etc.

Nothing against full keelers, they normallly servive a griunding, most of the others don't.

Seaworthiness - as per Marchaj- is out of fashion. So called ' modern boaters' rely on sat phones, inflatable 'life" rafts, and insurance policies for safety at sea.

Those of us who rely on experience, self suffixiency and prudency are a Dying breed.
At the risk of being vilified in open forum for saying this: Marchaj should be required reading for every person even considering going to sea. No opinions, no agenda, just a common sense comparison of various design philosophies based on known results, and let the reader draw his own conclusions...
Old 28-02-2016, 10:29   #128
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Speed is defined by the waterline of the boat... light or heavy, ugly or a racing sled.

Precisely! Something I've said to many people many times. Light weight is about acceleration off the line, not top speed. Boats have to get ridiculously heavy before they are unable to reach hull speed due to weight. Light weight is only important for racing and very light airs.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:38   #129

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
My understanding is, even ignoring that really lightweight designs can go faster than the basic "hull speed" calculation would suggest,

- You slow down very often. Waves, varying wind, etc. Better acceleration means your average speed is going to end up a lot higher over a trip.

- In a lot of situations, drag will slow you down, you reach a different, slower equilibrium between your drive force and your drag force. In many scenarios, theres enough excess drive force (wind) for it to not matter. On other scenarios, there is not. I'd guess that when you are close-hauled, or any other time you find yourself not reaching hull speed, drag matters a lot.

I really don't know though.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:41   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I agree this is very sad. I have sailed an IP and they were a quality built boat. Fit and finish was excellent, shoal draft worked great for the Bahamas and Florida thin water and it was a safe and comfortable blue water capable boat. They are a very solid well built boat. For me they were a more affordable (used) option that was closer to the Hinkley, Swam, Shannon type boat vs the lighter production boats. I could never buy a used Hinkley, but a 10 year old Island Packet was a possibility.

I hope someone with some $$$$$ steps in and saves this business.
The Hinckley people will be distressed hearing someone calling the IP a close alternative. The IP boats are light weight and tender for their size. Motion comfort is none existence in a seaway. There are a bunch of them up here in Maine that have been for sale and unsold for years. Too much freeboard, ugly transom, and funny cockpits. Now down below is great, better than a mobile home.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2016, 10:44   #131

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm

The lighter boat reaches hull speed earlier, as in less wind, than a heavier boat. The lighter boat also moves in light air, saving diesel fuel and adding to pleasure onboard.
Old 28-02-2016, 10:45   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Precisely! Something I've said to many people many times. Light weight is about acceleration off the line, not top speed. Boats have to get ridiculously heavy before they are unable to reach hull speed due to weight. Light weight is only important for racing and very light airs.
Any tub will reach hull speed with enough wind. Usually 20 knots will do the trick. A lot of light displacement, flat hulled boats will far exceed hull speeds since they can get on a plane like a speedboat and surf along. We tried once to sail along with American Promise and gave up. 15 knot winds, 4 foot seas, and that boat just zoomed by us.
Old 28-02-2016, 10:48   #133

Quote:
The lighter boat reaches hull speed earlier, as in less wind, than a heavier boat. The lighter boat also moves in light air, saving diesel fuel and adding to pleasure onboard.
You forgot to mention that the lighter boat also has accelerated motion is heavy weather. There are tradeoffs for everything. Light displacement boats have very quick rolling. pitching, etc. when conditions get interesting. Better hold on tight!
Old 28-02-2016, 10:50   #134

Quote:

Pleasure onboard? If you like being bounced around. The difference in motion comfort is impressive. Heavy boats feel like big caddies where light boats require you to hold on as the boats are always bouncing around like your in a Fiat 500.
Old 28-02-2016, 11:27   #135

Boat: Island Packet 31

I'm curious about all the IP Naysayers, do they really have sailboats???
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet