Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 10:08   #61

Boat: Catalina MkII 42
Re: Island Packet Closing doors

When I go to the link above, I do not get any notice of closing for IPY. Has anybody verified this? My emails do not bounce back.
Alika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:08   #62

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
A friend was a salesman for an IP brokerage and a long distance cruiser in a 42' Island Packet. He had serious experience as both a salesman and cruiser.

Several years ago we spent a week on his boat cruising about SoCal and Mexico and talked a lot about the future of Island Packet. He was disturbed and distressed that the IP management and marketing folks were so far out of touch with the modern market and cruising community. He felt that IP owner/managers were ignoring the hard won advice of folks like him who spent 40-hours a week trying to sell the beautiful, but old and slow, antiquated IP boats.

He was most disturbed that the IP response was the BlueJacket line of boats. He felt that boat was the death knell of the company and an terrible demonstration of how mis-informed IP was about the modern cruiser / high end boater buyer.

Recently he moved on to another line of boats but still owns a big and beautiful IP.
I don't really get this. The BJ 40 was clearly a modern design. What was the issue with this boat?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 10:53   #63

About time. Their boats look more and more like bloated whales.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:01   #64

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

I was surprised that IP actually lasted this long. A company who refused to change and improve their products. They have no one to blame except themselves. They continued to make their boat without innovation for decades. The people like their boats are those in the nursing home or 6 ft under. The sad part is those will not buy their overpriced new boats.

I understand that one should not make changes the recipe in the Grand mom's secret red sauce. Can you imagine if Apple continues to make their "original" iPhone and selling them 3 x as much. I doubt they will survive today.

I expect that more boat manufactures will go under. Survival of the fittest. Natural selection process may take a long time, but economical selection process is quick and brutal.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:04   #65

Apparently many of you forget that IP does have a more modern style boat available. I doubt it's selling like hotcakes either.
http://www.bluejacketyachts.com/
There is nothing new about boat companies going out of business, it happens regularly.... to the worst and to the best.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:07   #66

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I don't really get this. The BJ 40 was clearly a modern design. What was the issue with this boat?
Seriously, they are more than 2 decades too late with antiquated manufacture process.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:08   #67
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
They are nice boats but who could afford to buy a new one..only a few can
There are plenty of people with more than enough money, but they prefer not to buy a dated, ugly design. Shannon discovered the same thing with the same outcome.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:08   #68
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

IP is still open for business. Apparently they will make some announcement on Tuesday. All this eviction had something to do w/ legal papers being modified or something or other etc.

Saw this info on another forum -- you know which one.

Don't know if any of this has already been relayed above as I didn't find it.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:10   #69
cruiser

Quote:
Go see some European boats. The BJ40 would be right at home in 1985.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:49   #70

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

I agree about the European designs. Clean, sophisticated, in tune with people's desires, innovative, and sexy.

That young Briish chap who rides all of the new steeds ... What a job he has commenting on these sleek ponies. There was a 50 foot Italian job on YouTube that was just so sleek and drop dead gorgeous. Then we have 80's in America. They come and they go.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 11:52   #71

Boat: Caliber 40

Quote:
I know nothing about the Bluejacket - I am just repeating what I was told by a very experienced IP salesman and cruiser.

It was not unique and was overpriced. Nothing about the Bluejacket would cause a Beneteau (or similar) buyer to spend the extra dollars. It was not fast enough to interest the J-boat crowd.

The BlueJacket seemed, to my experienced salesman friend, to be a middle of the road boat that did not appeal to any of the markets that were siphoning off the traditional IP customers.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:17   #72

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I know nothing about the Bluejacket - I am just repeating what I was told by a very experienced IP salesman and cruiser.

It was not unique and was overpriced. Nothing about the Bluejacket would cause a Beneteau (or similar) buyer to spend the extra dollars. It was not fast enough to interest the J-boat crowd.

The BlueJacket seemed, to my experienced salesman friend, to be a middle of the road boat that did not appeal to any of the markets that were siphoning off the traditional IP customers.
The problem with any type of crossover, really.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 12:34   #73

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36

I liked everything about the IP's. A sailboat no matter how stylish is never fast compared with power. My last boat will be an IP.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 14:19   #74

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
Seriously, they are more than 2 decades too late with antiquated manufacture process.
I'm curious what you know about the manufacturing process, could you please explain the process for those of us that have not been in the IP factory. I agree that they were way too late with a modern design but I don't know about the build.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 14:35   #75

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Jer View Post
Amen, I always chuckle when I meet the ones who just downsized to a storage locker to live on a boat and they have snap on tools hahaha. Less than three months later you hear them berating themselves for with dropping them over the side of whining how rusty they're snap on tools have become.
Funny, some of the first Snap-On tools I bought 50 years ago are still rust free even though they reside in the forward compartment. Not so the few junk tools I have...
The only tools that have gone over the side on my boat were the broken ones that I "dropped".
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet