Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2016, 07:08   #31
cruiser

Re: Island Packet Closing doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
But they were "only" $500K or thereabouts. A Hinckley or a Swan in that size, if they're still doing that size, would probably be closer to a mil or more.
I should've clarified better, I meant used market...buying new isn't in my mindset much less in my ability...if I had that kinda $$$ for new boats I'd be riding on a Pershing with a boat capt. at the helm, bow bunnies in bikinis to keep ice in my sippy cup.
Sailor Jer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:10   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Yeah......that was an ugly beast the old Packet Cat.

- Zeb
May be I'm missing something here but to me this looks not much different than any other cat around.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:12   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
May be I'm missing something here but to me this looks not much different than any other cat around.

Until you get a bow or stern shot......then it's hard to tell if it's a cat, a tri, or a deck barge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:12   #34
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
Its the middle pod thing they developed for that particular boat. I thought it was UGLY.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:13   #35
Zeb

Boat: Seaward 25

Pic kind of shows it all.

- Zeb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	packet cat.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	119671  
Old 27-02-2016, 07:25   #36

My own anecdotal evidence as to possibly why IP had to shut down is as follows.

Several years back I was at a boat show with my naval architect/boat builder buddy. He comes from the old country so his view of what to expect form "higher end" product" or what constitutes a higher end product is a bit different I guess.

After spending about 1/2 hour on IP38 (which according to me telling him was probably the top manufacturer represented at that boat show) and going into nooks and crannies (he does that first as it gives him a better sense of the builder than any shiny piece of furniture or hardware) he pronounced the boat "overpriced" for the quality of workmanship she exhibited in these rarely accessed places. His comment was that for $500K he would not want to be afraid of cutting his skin if he stroked the underbelly next to the locker lid or some such. It was an eye opener for me as I remember working in the cockpit underbelly of my 35 year old boat and not in one place was I afraid to be cut by sharp leftover fiberglass fibers or strands.

I don't know if this was a result of a company desperately trying to cut costs while clinging to an image of a "well built boat" or just issues with the workforce or QA department missing to check up on these things. But to send your flagship model to a boat show in such a state my friend found unacceptable at that price level. Or even if the boat was "only" $200K.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:27   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Until you get a bow or stern shot......then it's hard to tell if it's a cat, a tri, or a deck barge.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I still see it as being much closer aesthetically to a cat than to a mono.
Old 27-02-2016, 07:28   #38

Boat: Island Packet 31

IP is expected to make an announcement in March as to their company. Many of us in the Tampa Bay area are aware that they have not been answering phones or emails since early this year!
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:37   #39

Boat: Hake Seaward 46 RK

Friends of IPY, Blue Jacket, Seaward...........standby for updates regarding a restructuring and probable new management. I will reaffirm the quality of recent build of a Seaward.
freecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:41   #40

Quote:
But they were "only" $500K or thereabouts. A Hinckley or a Swan in that size, if they're still doing that size, would probably be closer to a mil or more.
Nautor line starts at 50' and runs to 115', in a much higher price point, with entirely different following and perception. They too are in a challenged market. Begs the question - how many boats are the builders really cranking out annually? I spoke to an industry friend at Toronto Show - he said in late 1970' North American builders shipped over 170,000 units annually. In 2014 they shipped less than 10,000 units and this includes pontoons to custom yachts. He also said commercial and Homeland Security is a niche that has kept some afloat - Sabre and Hinckley are mentioned.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 07:41   #41

Also, when you have sailed on a great day at 10 knots on a modern boat
it is difficult to go back to 7 knots on an antiquated design meant for wood construction.

That being said, if you go cruising you will go aground and so that's what full keels are for imho. Fin keels could be attached better having seen a couple of charters boats where the keel had been ripped out of the boat.

But then now you have catamarans.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:06   #42

Boat: Union cutter 33

They are nice boats but who could afford to buy a new one..only a few can
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:13   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by notiesbob View Post
Nautor line starts at 50' and runs to 115', in a much higher price point, with entirely different following and perception. They too are in a challenged market. Begs the question - how many boats are the builders really cranking out annually? I spoke to an industry friend at Toronto Show - he said in late 1970' North American builders shipped over 170,000 units annually. In 2014 they shipped less than 10,000 units and this includes pontoons to custom yachts. He also said commercial and Homeland Security is a niche that has kept some afloat - Sabre and Hinckley are mentioned.
Yes, I recall someone posting a link on CF with statistical table - sailboats (or boats in general, I forget which) sold in early 80s and currently - down by 90%+.
Old 27-02-2016, 08:22   #44

Boat: Island Packet 31

True. I have a 1984 IP 31 with a CB. Best boat I have had so far. I like the quality and the toughness of my little boat.
MikePz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2016, 08:23   #45

They made abeautiful monohull. There foray into the catamaran production was atonal failure.
Sad to see another boat manufacturer bite the dust.
Cheers, Cataman
catman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet