Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 12:08   #421

Re: Island Packet Closing doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't see how the factory going under has anything at all to do with the boats.
Boat companies and airplane companies, change ownership and come and go all the time.
Now if for example the last couple of years, if they really cut corners and built shoddy, well then that matters, but I've heard of none of that.
It probably has more to do with the way they ran their company.

They cut out some of the smaller boats in the lineup, which is where the bulk of the marketplace is. They sort of remind me of the Harley Davidson of the boating world. Good quality, not the fastest, but with an eye towards showroom appeal, comfort, and a loyal user-community. It seems to me they're going after the recent-retirees who are new to boating. Get them hooked on the brand and community, and sell them them their next, bigger boat.

With the average new-boat cost that's greater than the average cost of a house in the U.S., what could go wrong?

Things probably looked great with the marketing strategy in 2004, but a major reversal might have been in order given the events in the housing market in 2006, and the stock market in 2008.

The problem is that the a) the market segment is shrinking, and b) you're competing within that market segment with boats that still float after 40 years, if you maintain/refurbish them, which are a fraction of the cost of a new one.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 17:55   #422

Boat: islandpacket

Why do they have to explain anything. Yes, I own an IP, but they don't owe me anything. Yes I hope they return but I don't take this personal. Things change. Business come and go. I wish them the best. Its tough times all around.
Old 31-03-2016, 05:43   #423

Boat: IP 370

Any more news about IP? I love my 370. I hope they restructure and keep goin. They make darn good & safe vessels
sailrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 05:54   #424
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailrmn View Post
Any more news about IP? I love my 370. I hope they restructure and keep goin. They make darn good & safe vessels
Only this update to Wikipedia which was reported in another forum

Quote:
In mid February 2016 phone lines were down. On 24 February 2016 an eviction notice [3] was posted on the doors of the factory. The factory reports that the eviction notice was on the door for 24 hours as part of a change in ownership of the property.[4] IPY continues in operation as of 24 March 2016 with construction ongoing of boats on order and for inventory for Island Packet, Blue Jacket, and Seaward Yachts. Employees are working and being paid. [5] Suppliers are delivering materials and invoices are being paid. [6]

Phone numbers continue to be out of service. Email is working. Company cell phones are working.

Company employees had shared that they were in tough shape during 2015 and for a period were reduced to a four day work week. Regular work weeks have been in place for many months (Mar 2016).
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 06:08   #425

Boat: Morgan 34

Island Packet was sold to Hake Yachts yesterday.
Mexicana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 06:34   #426
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexicana View Post
Island Packet was sold to Hake Yachts yesterday.
Of course that doesn't really mean that IP will continue. A web search doesn't even result in an announcement.
Old 31-03-2016, 06:37   #427
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Island Packet Closing doors

I don't know.. the brand name may continue with boats riding on past reputation..
How many times now has Hunter gone to the wall..??

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:11   #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Of course that doesn't really mean that IP will continue. A web search doesn't even result in an announcement.

I have no idea if IP will continue on under hake, but I'm just sharing information that I've learned at the IP/seaward factory yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-03-2016, 08:18   #429
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Hake Yachts IS Seaward.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 08:28   #430

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
True. They could just take IP's IP (intellectual property) and blend it into their own designs. Of course there are physical assets. But, it seems more likely they want the name loyalty - whether or not it's attached to new stuff or to old stuff.
Old 31-03-2016, 08:45   #431

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Hake Yachts IS Seaward.

Hake yachts is the parent company, yes. But now hake yachts is Seaward AND Island Packet

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-03-2016, 08:47   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
Why do they have to explain anything. Yes, I own an IP, but they don't owe me anything. Yes I hope they return but I don't take this personal. Things change. Business come and go. I wish them the best. Its tough times all around.
As a private company, they can do anything they want (pending any requirements from the bankruptcy judge or contractual requirements from a sale).

But assuming they don't want to intentionally destroy the brand and company, they need to get ahead of it and explain what is going on or people tend to assume the worst. Once rumor an innuendo are established, it is drastically harder to regain the brands appeal.

So strictly speaking they don't have to explain anything, from a practical perspective, they do.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2016, 09:14   #433

Boat: Scout 30

I sure hope IP continues. More choices there are the better it is for all of us.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 14:46   #434

Boat: gozzard 44

Apparently, there has been an agreement for IP to build Seaward boats.

Island Packet To Build Seaward Sailboats | Cruising World
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 14:47   #435
CLOD

Boat: none

that article was a year ago

Tags
island packet