Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-03-2016, 06:44   #391

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Island Packet Closing doors

My take on the color is it's no more complicated than they wanted to be a little different is all. Myself as long as it's not some kind of pink or something else really different, I could care less.
They may have actually done testing, but I'd bet lunch that is a myth, I do believe testing has been done, and from what I have been led to believe a color pretty close to the green used in hospitals is the color that causes less eye strain and maybe is more calming?

IP could sell butt loads of 300K 40 ft boats I'm sure, trouble is it cost more to build one than that.
Logically we have to assume one of two things is correct, either
A. the IP owners and investors became fabulously rich from selling boats by making huge profits from them or
B. For whatever reason it costs a lot to build an IP, they way they are or were built.

I've seen aircraft manufacturers fail, and know a little about manufacturing. Simply it amounts to cost escalating, as sales diminish, the fewer you sell and therefore you build, the more each one costs. If you build a quality product, it will last a LONG time, and you get into a position of trying to justify why new cost several times more than used, when the used item is in nearly perfect condition and has many more years useful life left.
It's a vicious circle, one way out is to make a "new" product, one that is different than what you have been building to draw in new customers, IP tried that with their Cat and their powerboat, both unfortunately weren't well received.
I can only assume they didn't listen to others, didn't really do any market research, (that costs time and money) and believed their own press too much.
So you have to "find" money wherever you can, one way is by overcharging for everything you can, as has been said, people finance most new purchases and often don't really look at what options cost.

I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread, for one, I do not believe the average buyer wants quality as much as they used to, they want big and flashy and accept it won't last long. Look at the way houses are built now, they are not built to last, and everything from door knobs, to doors, windows, sinks, lightning fixtures everything is built cheaply, exception being when something becomes Socially desirable to have, like counter tops, but the "bones" of the average house, is crap.
Boats aren't any different, buying tastes and desires have changed.

Old 09-03-2016, 06:58   #392

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've said for the last ten years or so that our generation is the last one to privately fly and I believe that, there will be a few, but the days of the average but successful builder, plumber, electrician etc of having and flying a private airplane are over.

WTH does that have to do with sailing? Well I believe private "Yachts" and aircraft aren't really all that different, one difference being the boats are not nearly as regulated, your allowed to do your own work etc. and therefore its taking longer for that to die.

Interestingly the really expensive "Business Jets" like Gulfstream are sold out for years in advance, seems that industry is booming.
I believe the same can be said of the super expensive yachts, I believe I read somewhere that industry is booming as well?

Old 09-03-2016, 07:30   #393

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Interesting. Must have just been a rumor I heard. Thanks Gord
Old 09-03-2016, 11:52   #394
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Now I'm left wondering how they came up with the name "fighting lady yellow" that is on most paint color cards
Old 09-03-2016, 12:00   #395

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
. Myself as long as it's not some kind of pink or something else really different, I could care less.
it's "I couldn't care less",

I could care less means you do care

sorry i cant help myself, it's my one pet peeve
Old 09-03-2016, 12:26   #396

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here's an absolutely true story from five years ago. My wife and I were seriously looking at purchasing an Island Packet 485. One very nice boat with a dark blue Awlgriped hull sold for more than we were willing to spend at around $450k. The second 485 was brand new and we figured it could be had for just over $400k or so due to the economy and the dealers situation, but.... The hull color was the ugly beige. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't get excited about it. In the end, just as I was about to put in an offer, my wife said "why are you doing that?" "For the amount that boat is going to cost, we need to like the way it looks.... and neither of us want a beige boat." "We need to be 100% happy with it."

So we moved on.
And bought something better too
Old 09-03-2016, 14:44   #397
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Now I'm left wondering how they came up with the name "fighting lady yellow" that is on most paint color cards

Refers to USS Yorktown, also known as the Fighting Lady.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 14:56   #398

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I've said for the last ten years or so that our generation is the last one to privately fly and I believe that, there will be a few, but the days of the average but successful builder, plumber, electrician etc of having and flying a private airplane are over.

The days of driving your own car are limited as well.

Driverless cars are coming our way fast and furiously.
Old 09-03-2016, 15:05   #399

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

"I couldn't care less.", is a statement.

"I could care less?", could be a question. Somewhat rhetorically, with the implied answer of "no". At least that's why this is often said in my opinion. Nonetheless, I couldn't care less.
Old 09-03-2016, 18:01   #400

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Island Packet Closing doors

OK on my old boat the beige isn't very noticeable as it has faded over time, but point was for me, color of the boat probably mattered the least of all the things I was looking for.
I understand to others it may be a deal killer.

Oh and I think I will truly be an old man before I see self driving cars, although I see no downside of that, and can see very many advantages to it. I think the one in a million chance something will go wrong is enough to make several lawyers very rich, although I do feel it would save Lord knows how many lives, ease traffic congestion, save fuel and on and on.

Talk about thread drift

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-03-2016, 18:48   #401
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I doubt the beige color has anything to do with IP problems.
Old 09-03-2016, 20:04   #402
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I doubt the beige color has anything to do with IP problems.
It was part of what cost them one sale that I know of.

Buyers looking to spend $400k plus expect to be able to make choices. Henry Ford offering only black colored model T cars might work for buyers on low cost products, but not on mid to upper end items.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:19   #403

Boat: Catalina 470

Zeb, et al,
In addition to what I posted earlier:
Island Packet Closing doors
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
.... I can comment on Catalina...
I've been to the factory and observed them 3 times over the past 12 - 15 years..
(once was a official tour at 4pm, as most of the employees were leaving....once was mid-morning to pick up some parts...and once was another tour during the day...)
I saw them hard at work, doing hand-lay-up, rolling out/squeezing the vinylester resin, etc...(never saw 'em using a chopper gun)
BTW, Catalina not only welcomes prospective buyers (whether looking at used/brokerage boats, or new), but they're darn proud of their operation, and in addition to factory tours, if you have ordered a boat, they'll welcome you to watch its progress, etc.!
Give 'em a call at 727-544-6681...

And, if I can find 'em, I've got a few photos of a Catalina 470 (sistership to my Annie Laurie) during her build...
Have a look...

Hull (note the AlTec 800 balsa core above waterline):

Structural Grid:

I hope this helps...
I see that someone else posted the video of how Catalina's are produced....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
How does this compare to say how Catalina builds their yachts today? I've not toured their facility so I have no idea, but am working to schedule a tour this summer.
And, you all might be interested in an interview with Frank Butler a few years ago, as well as some detailed background, etc.??

Read this article and interviews:
Good Old Boat - Catalina Yachts article

Here is just a couple tiny excerpts from the article:
Quote:
Frank [Butler] continues, "You should always try to upgrade your product line. You always need to have something more to offer in a new boat. Otherwise people will just buy used ones."
Quote:
The stories are legendary among Catalina owners. Call the factory about a warranty item, and chances are you'll end up speaking with Frank himself. Why such access? "I've always been that accessible," he says. "It's the only way to be in this business." Catalina is the largest sailboat manufacturer in the United States. That means Frank Butler has a lot of customers to keep happy, something he obviously relishes.

Catalina Sailing Stories
And, a small excerpt from this one:
Quote:
Since 1969, we've dedicated ourselves to building boats using traditional craftsmanship in modern manufacturing facilities using state-of-the-art technology. With a history of boat building now spanning nearly five decades, Catalina has manufactured some 75,000 vessels. Until 1984, everything was done in Woodland Hills, California when we acquired Morgan Yachts in Largo, Florida.
Every Catalina model is built in Florida now, a consolidation that's been in the works for some time. In fact, all new Catalinas designed and built in the past ten years were built in Florida.
In an effort to strengthen our manufacturing base as we complete this long term strategy, we've invested millions in expanding the Florida plant, creating over 90,000 square feet of new production facilities, for a total of 275,000 square feet that includes eight buildings spanning 26.5 acres. This growth is an expression of our core belief in the sailboat market. The Largo, Florida plant is one of, if not the largest sailboat production facilities in America.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalina_Yachts

I realize that all this info about Catalina is somewhat off topic, but since they're both privately owned/operated US sailboat manufacturers and Catalina's factory is just down the road from Island Packet's, I thought this info might be useful for comparison...
Especially Frank Butler's quote from a few years ago:
Quote:
"You should always try to upgrade your product line. You always need to have something more to offer in a new boat. Otherwise people will just buy used ones."
Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:32   #404

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
sorry i cant help myself, it's my one pet peeve
Since joining this forum, your / you're and their / there / they're etc. have made it to the top of my pet peeve list

(Sorry, OT, please ignore )
Old 10-03-2016, 10:14   #405
vjm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Since joining this forum, your / you're and their / there / they're etc. have made it to the top of my pet peeve list

(Sorry, OT, please ignore )

advice v. advise is my number one offender. OT also, ignore likewise.

Tags
island packet

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: