Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 12:27   #286
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Island Packet Closing doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Again, if you are aware of other information, and are not under a confidentiality constraint, please advise us. .
Lets try this again....
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY
Already posted all the info I have...
See above post.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:34   #287
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think sv third day knows more, don't you guys think so as well?
(just joking)

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41   #288

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
An eviction notice is not Internet rumor.
No, that's a bobbledmade clear in Third Days post.

Old 02-03-2016, 13:50   #289
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Maybe SV Third Day is buying IP? ;>

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 14:13   #290
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

One full keel pig to windward is enough...ha ha ha

Now in this new sensitive world of no one being able to take a joke, I have to issue the standard apology to all the IP Owners out there, no your boat is not a pig, I'm the pig for being so insensitive...to your feelings....

But this does present a good time for a story both to keep me from doing my Quickbooks paperwork for tax time and B) to keep me from working on my fresh water plumbing project to get the shower stall working again (damn public showers).

So there we were in the middle of the Sea of Cortez half way from Mazatlan to La Paz and the starter blew out and when I say blew out, I mean it took two full fire extinguishers to put out the molten mess...oh ya...drama. So after the smoke cleared (literally) Lori put the cover back on the life raft canister and once the kids and cat calmed down we were faced with every cruisers nightmare...we had to actually sail the boat to windward! Oh the horror. Now folks, I don't have ego when it comes to sailing...so I don't mind admitting that we have never even tried to sail to windward in 5-7kts of wind...why would we with a 120Hp Ford Lehman?

So off we went...sails were out and we were smoking along at as close a reach as we could get, which was 45-degs by the way, making 0.5 to 0.9kts. We just couldn't crack the 1kt barrier. Then came time to tack...ha ha ha...we should I say try to tack. We couldn't do it. tried everything and could not tack through the wind without getting caught in irons. So the only option was to do a controlled 270-deg chicken jibe all the way around. It took all 4 crew members to pull it off, kids pulling in genoa and sheeting in mizzen, wife on helm, me on main. It as like an elephant in a ballet dance, but we did manage to pull it off and that day, out of pure necessity we became sailors, well at least in our minds anyway. In the light winds it took us 4 days to make the 90 miles into the Mazatlan Old Harbor, where we side tied our dinghy with 15Hp motor to the hull and motored in and set anchor just like we knew what the hell we were doing.

It wasn't fun at the time. Did I mention my wife broke her toe going up the mast to retrieve a lost halyard? Or about the Baja Ferry that was heading straight for us and I was just ready to fire the flare gun and take out his damn bridge window before he veered off....Well good...don't ask. But looking back when the kids talk about their memories the time we almost burned the boat down and had to learn how to sail.
Old 02-03-2016, 14:34   #291

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Great story 3rd So why didn't you hand-crank the engine?

Old 02-03-2016, 14:48   #292
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hand crank a Ford Lehman 120hp....that would be a good story in itself...and I had lots of 0.9kts of sailing to think about "if only I could..."

But here is the kicker...2 yrs later we were cleaning out a locker under my daughter's bunk for painting and we opened the 3rd false floor and what did we find? A spare brand new started starter...ha ha ha...I have never told that to my wife, I'm crazy but not stupid.
Old 02-03-2016, 15:04   #293

Cruisers Forum Supporter

We carry one as well and swapped it for the one in use so that we know we have a working spare. Went to do the same with the windlass motor and found it to be the wrong voltage... check your starter

Old 02-03-2016, 21:49   #294

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I won't enter the non performance argument as that is what people want to believe, but they aren't as slow as you want to think, not as maneuverable, yes.

But I do not believe the average cruiser is a new boat buyer, and of course manufacturers do, or should anyway listen to the people who buy new boats. The second person to buy their boat is irrelevant.
So I don't think the average Cruiser is driving new boat design or manufacturing.

I believe a large number of new boat buyers buy new boats to impress others, they want to entertain and show off their latest toy, not all of course, but I believe a majority, Cruisers I believe are a minority of boat owners, more so new boats.
To a large extent I believe new boats are bought by the same people who buy the big new houses, and I've been through many of those during construction, and can tell you on average they are very poorly constructed.
People don't want well constructed, they want big and flashy, and for the same money as a well constructed boat, you can have a much larger less well built boat, this person won't own that boat in five years anyway, and it will work fine sitting in a slip used on weekends for five years.
Power boat world it was Bayliners that sold and did very well business wise, but how well constructed is the average Bayliner?
having spent a lot of time working on and delivering modern cruisers, in particular beneteau's and jeanneau's I can say that there is a lot of truth to the above statement. these are boats that have a fair turn of speed, have those flashy modern looks and the massive cockpits, the easy walkthrough between the twin helms to the bid swimstep, the sleek interiors. etc. make no mistake, IP's are fantastic blue water cruisers they don't have the flash and and features that make them appealing to most new boat buyers.
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:48   #295

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Charter operators have very different requirements and tax considerations which often are the exact opposite of a private boat owner. So I would not compare the two in the same breath. In fact, IMO the charter boats more like car rental models (with few exceptions of course) are built with a certain life cycle in mind during which they would be cheaper to maintain but beyond that cycle - who cares.

Besides, most charter boats as most rental cars are not used for long haul drives nor for non stop lengthy sails. So, for boats at least, the builder's goal is to make a boat "good enough" to do some island hopping without falling apart until the charter mechanics can get to it.

No wonder where I live (and probably elsewhere) the phrase "ex-charter" or "ex-rental" are price busters no matter how well they were maintained. The worst for cars is only a label of "ex-LE vehicle".
There are all types of cars for rental, except old ones. If you want to rent a Ferrari or a top Mercedes, you will find them available.

Regarding boats it is about the same thing, if you want to charter luxury yachts you can. Lots of options, even if they normally come with a crew. The only old ones are historic classic boats of great value, very expensive boats too.

Any way I was talking about charter boats on the inexpensive side of charter market (the huge majority), boat that offer maximum rentability giving most cruisers what they want most, at the best price for the charter company assuring maximum profit.

According to some what cruisers want most to sail and to cruise are old, quality boats, kept in a pristine state and they also say that it is the cheapest way to have a desirable and good boat.

If this two things were true we would see lots of good old boats on the charter market kept for a long time. That is not what happens. Maximum profitability is obtained with new to 5 year's old mass production main market boats. After that they sell the boats and buy new ones.

Those facts give clear evidence of what most people want to sail for the best price and also regarding what is the best deal for the charter company regarding desirability and maintenance costs. Not old quality boats but new cheaper ones.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:23   #296

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
IIRC $500k is for the smaller boats. The 485's listed on Yachtworld are around $800,000 for newer models. ..

At $869 000 the IP is 485 is considerably more expensive than a very good aluminum 52ft voyage boat, this one:

It is hard to understand how they can sell that boat at that price.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:27   #297

Boat: 1979 Watkins 27

IP isn't closing. I won the lottery last week and I am currently purchasing the company and all new IP yachts will have an image of me on the main.
chadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:49   #298

Boat: Beneteau

Wow. This thread has really gained some traction. People will buy their boat based upon the BS they have bought into. My broker...the one I dismissed, told me what I was looking for was no good for my location on the northeast coast of Newfoundland. He then proceeded to show me a 35 ft I. Yes it was a nice solid boat that checked the boxes for someone I'm sure. Not for me. The boat had been owned by an acquaintance that had recently passed away.

Problem was it was about 50k over priced and more cramped than I had envisioned. I kept looking and through the jigs and the reels found my present boat. It is massed produced, 22 years old. It's done the southern ocean and now resides in Newfoundland where it has cruised up north. Not sure where all these people questioning build quality want it to go to prove it's ability but I think it has done so in spades. It's so comfy that a friend with 15 Atlantic passages commented that it was incredibly spacious and comfortable when we sailed out of Northern Newfoundland in eastrlies and 4-5 metre seas last July.

The reality is that fewer boat buyers are buying the snake oil now that they can learn of people doing the big trips on bigger and more manageable boats for a fraction of the cost. IP is a very reputable builder that needed to change it's business model or suffer the consequences of the easily provided evidence offered up by the Internet.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:25   #299

Boat: Catalina 30

I love the story 3rd day

Not only will your kids remember that event forever, but as you know it also taught them a valuable lesson to play the cards that their dealt and to keep pressing on and never give up, there is always a way!
Old 03-03-2016, 05:44   #300
cruiser

Third Day,

Sounds very similar to the story I told 18 months ago about our starter motor fire leaving Garrucha harbor. We almost ended up on the public beach after getting the anchor stuck on a lobster trap, couldn't come about with the boat stuck in irons, no working windlass. Sailed back into Garrucha harbor. Wasn't fun or pretty, but me and a drunken fool I had onboard for crew got through it.... with some luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	119964  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet