Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 18:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37
Re: Island Packet 40 vs Tayana 42

Carefully consider how much teak maintenance you're interested in (or can afford to have someone else do....), both boats have significant teak, which in my opinion doesn't look great if neglected. But I wouldn't have it any other way - the teak is homey down below and I happen to be in the minority (apparently) that LOVE my 30 year old teak decks (yes, even in the serious tropics). Teak can be a pain after several years, even if you love maintaining it. Both boats are sound. Personally I'd opt for the Tayana, but then we own a Passport. I love varnish and varnishing, but .... sometimes it gets old.

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 18:53   #17

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

The Tayana 42 does not have a lot of teak above decks. Most people think of the Tayana 37 which has substantially more above decks wood. The 37 is a lovely, traditional, full keel Robert Perry design. The 42 is a lovely double ended Robert Harris design with a moderate fin keel and full skeg rudder.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 19:06   #18

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

flip a coin
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05   #19

Thank you all. Very helpful ideas and sharing. I think we would like a boat with non teak decks and nice (homey) woodwork below - a compromise.

Are there any true "blue water" (ocean going) "affordable" boats with a modified sugar scoop transom for swimming and boarding a dinghy that you would take off shore?

Dave
Dave Oakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:28   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Oakes View Post

Are there any true "blue water" (ocean going) "affordable" boats with a modified sugar scoop transom for swimming and boarding a dinghy that you would take off shore?

Dave
Many would tell you a Cat, and they may be right.
RE the ladder, your not going to find the perfect boat, just isn't going to happen. Things that are easily changed like ladders really shouldn't enter too much into the equation. I'm thinking the stern may not be the best place for a ladder either. Took me awhile to realize this, but often its's easier to board a dinghy from side of the boat and not the stern, wave action seems to be less there, it's more wide open, and closer to the water.
Maybe a folding boarding ladder on the side would be better, just make it long enough to have several rungs in the water and if for diving maybe make it like a T instead of a regular ladder. I have never seen a good ladder suitable for swimming and or diving on a production boat, look at dive boats to see what a good ladder is.

I had a Dive-N-dog ladder on my last boat(a center console, not a sailboat) these things collapse in on themselves, but are very good ladders, I may get one for my IP., go to this website and look at the sailboat pictures to see what I mean, especially how it stows
http://www.go2marine.com/go2_structu...Staricase.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:05   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanus 473

This is a question that you could answer with a book. I've worked with Tayana Company in Kaohsiung, Taiwan and with Island Packet in St. Petersburg Florida through the 1980's. If you like lots of teak, very heavy laminated hull the Tayana may be for you. If you want a boat that is built to ABYC standards; Tinned Boat Cable (Tayana is heavy strand copper), 316 stainless (much of Tayana's stainless is 304), Isothalic / vinylester resin (Tayana's is orthothalic, much more prone to blistering), Molded non-skid decks (Tayana's are notorious for deck leaks through teak decking bunged screw penetrations), Exterior/marine plywood bulkheads (Tayana used asian made non-resorcenal type plywood). Well insulated, 2 lb density foam exterior coated, refrigerator/freezer boxes with fiberglass liners (older Tayana's require a lot of refrigeration support due to water saturated insulation, big uninsulated drains and stainless liners that draw in heat and separate from the insulation trapping water). Keep in mind that Tayana's sells well on the traditional wood boat look, right on down to moldering in "wood plank seams". Most were built when Taiwan was under martial law and owning and using boats in Taiwanese waters was illegal. Rarely did anyone in a Taiwanese boat building facility get the chance to actually sail, much less on the boats they built. Bob Johnson on the other hand comes from a fraternity of builders with a strong maritime connection. He's one of the few boat builders with a naval architecture degree and was a strong proponent of making ABYC the standard for boat builders in the US and now the CE baseline in Europe. Sorry to ramble but I'm also passionate about our home grown yacht building industry, it has been my career of choice for 35 years.
bobw100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:24   #22

Boat: Scout 30

One of the first things I would do with the IP is add a very robust swim platform with a 4 rung ladder. Great for swimming & makes getting in & out of the dinghy a lot safer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:26   #23

Boat: Caliber 47

Look at a Caliber40.....200 gal of water 220 gal of fuel....swimmatform.....very sea worthy......great cruiser......there's a great one on this site for sale!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:43   #24

+1 on seeing how they build IPs. I have toured IP and Hunter and I was given the tour by Bob Johnson's son Karsten. They run a tight ship there and their layup method is top notch.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:56   #25

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

As I have posted before the IP's are an engineers boat, solid and functional. Built for purpose but hard on the eyes.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01   #26

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

both IP and tayana are capable offshore, but i would expect the Tayana to be significantly faster and much more agile..

At the vintage of the boats you are looking at however, this really has nothing to do with Tayana Vs IP..

It has EVERYTHING to do with the condition of the boats, ie hulls, rigging, sails, electronic and electrical gear and other equipment on the boat.

My suggestion therefore is that you figure out the length range, accommodation and rig layout you are looking for, then look at any one of a dozen worthwhile offshore capable models in the price range you can afford and make the decision based on the individual boats condition amongst those you are looking at
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:25   #27

Hopefully those two boats aren't the same price? If they are the Tayana is overpriced. I would go for the IP no doubt. The Tayanas in general are good boats, but there are some less than perfect things in their construction, especially the early ones like the '79. Resale wise the IP wins also.
For some reason the T42's have seemed like a bargain on the market for a long time, maybe due to the design , not sure...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:16   #28

Boat: Island Packet 420

First, I must admit I am a TWO IP owner. I have an IP 37, currently for sail on the Chesapeake. I sailed that boat to Bermuda several times, north to Cape Cod and south to the Bahamas. I single handed her to the Bahamas. They are dependable, stable and terrific off-shore boats. My 37 did not have a swim platform/sugar scoop, but I never had a problem climbing in and out. You could certainly add a ladder to the side of the boat at the gate.

Contrary to what people think, IPs will sail to windward as well as any full keel boat. It will never perform like a fin keel boat. You trade that for the stability. What I really like about the IPs is the shoe that connects the end of the keel to the rudder, so the prop is protected from lines and crab pots. That is one point that for me, at least, favored the boat compared to other blue water boats without such protection.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:20   #29

Big difference in draft if thats an issue. The IP about 4'8", the Tayana i think about 6'
Paul Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23   #30

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Since it is fresh in my mind I agree. I like the protected prop and it really makes sense. Any time in skinny water it will protect from weeds and grasses also.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet