Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2009, 05:24   #1

Island Packet 38 Tanks

I am looking at a 1992 IP 38. The fuel and water tanks were replaced 2005. I asked why and was told that IP's have a problem with welds breaking in tanks. Can this be so? Why would they continue with this problem at production?
crumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 07:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The IP tankage was mostly welded aluminum, with some plastic; and should be easy enough to inspect visually.

Hud3
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hud3-8326.html
may have some detailed & specific information, as may the IP Owners’ Association at
IP Home Port - The Official Website For Island Packet Yacht Owners Since 1998 - Home

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 13:27   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Haven't heard of any fuel tank problems. Those are stainless steel (at least on my boat).

There have been problems with some of the aluminum fresh water tanks due to chlorine in the water reacting with the metal. Not really welds failing, just corrosion, which tends to produce pinhole leaks if it's allowed to go unchecked.

Most complaints were about aluminum chloride crystals clogging up the water pump strainer or faucet aerators. Using a carbon canister filter on "city" water (the chlorinated kind), solves the problem easily. I have the aluminum water and holding tanks on my boat and after I figured out the chlorine thing, never had any issues.

I understand the newer IPs are being fitted with fiberglass water and holding tanks.
Old 30-10-2009, 13:19   #4

thanks for the response

Here's the story as told to me. The original tanks were welded stainless and the welds break not on the weld but where the metal is heated by the weld next to it. I was told this was a common problem with IP's with the fuel tanks only. So if this is not correct I ask myself why would the tanks on a 1992 boat fail in 2005? Any alternative explanations? My fuel tank is bonded to a stern zinc on my power boat. Could galvanic action play a part? Improper grounding?
Old 30-10-2009, 13:42   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Like I said, I've never heard of a fuel tank failure. You'll have a better chance of getting pertinent info by posting on the IP Home Port forum site that Gord mentioned (above), and also on the Island Packet Yacht Owners' Association. You could also contact Tom Broome at the IP factory. They're very glad to help you problem-solve, no matter how many times a particular boat's been sold.
Old 30-10-2009, 14:21   #6
CLOD

Boat: none
All welded things break next to the welded area, very rarely at the weld itself, and corrosion normally wouldn't play a part in it as you normally are going to need a cyclic type of stress (even for chloride stress cracking of stainless).

Going back to your orginal question; I would say if the tanks were replaced the owner doesn't really know why they failed, or he does and doesn't really want to say because somehow he had a hand in it. But then, the tanks have been replaced so the only real question is whether the real cause no longer exists.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 06:08   #7

Checking it out

Heading to FL to see the boat. Thanks for your input.

Tags
island packet