Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 18:56   #16
cruiser

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
While your waiting for your class see if you can take some no boat required stuff. Navigation, diesel repair maintenance or any other boat related stuff. The knowledge will not be waisted and you need all of it. Its not just the sailing part. Take the classes before you get a boat.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thank you very much for your advice, funny that i never even thought of that I do not know if the school would allow me to take the navigation courses out of sequence but doesn't hurt to ask and i am going to.

Thank you very much!!
Old 18-12-2015, 18:58   #17

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I single hand mine, single handing unless you get caught is a squall and didn't reef in time is easy.
No that is not true. Sailing a boat by yourself on the ocean is perhaps one of the most demanding things a human can do. Why else would those people be so weird? If you think it's easy you have not done enough of it.
Old 18-12-2015, 19:00   #18
cruiser

pirate Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Are you really going to inquire about every boat?

There is enough difference between the Catalina 30, the Pearson 323, and the Island Packet 38 that you should just spend more time using the search function, and less time inquiring about boats.

Figure out what you are going to do with the boat and what your price range is, as these boats aren't even remotely in the same categories.

I recommend you start on the small, cheap end. Something you can single-hand.

Your needs/requirements/understanding are going to change over the next 12 months. I promise you.
This thread was a mistake, i am sorry to have mislead you all. i have explained it below. sorry
Old 18-12-2015, 19:01   #19

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
Then someone / introduce me to the Island Packet 38. He asked me if i was interested in that sailboat. Well, what do i know about the Island Packet?
There's a very quick way to find out more about a boat before asking people for more information, and especially before opening another topic: Google.com

Quote:
I told him that i was sorry for wasting his time / However, before i got his answer i had already been here and had done a thread on the Island Packet.:
As I said, Google is your friend.
Posting here is pretty much using forum members to produce search results for you - I know it's unintentional, but you are wasting people's time and they have a repair list to get to

You assume everybody has read all your posts and knows your budget etc., so you don't post it anymore in many of the topics.

There's thousands of people reading here and hundres of posts every single day. Every time you post, assume the readers no nothing about you and provide all relevant information - just like Stu Jackson explained above.

Quote:
I am confused that's what iam
I understand

Again, take a breath and just go look at sailboat to actually see what they are like in the real world, not just online.
Go see as many different boats -within your budget!- as you can, cos from that you'll learn what you really like and dislike in all the different boats.

You haven't even started sailing yet, so go look without intent to buy.
Just look & learn for now.
You're going way too fast, which is why even you can't keep up with you anymore
Old 18-12-2015, 19:07   #20

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Why else would those people be so weird?
Erhmmm .... *cough*

I have yet to cross my first ocean, hope I don't come out if it weirder then I already am
The open ocean is a LOT less stressful / hard on us poor single handers than sailing near land - the closer you get to land, the more dangers there are. Methinks.
Old 18-12-2015, 20:30   #21

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ah Lizzy I would not be too hard on the Capt, I think his posts are some of the most entertaining on here! There is at least a little bit of him in all of us, no?

But then again Capt... I think we are all curious why such a rush? It sounds like you have to find a boat before next week! There will still be PLENTY of great choices out there once you know how to sail and know better the design that really suits you! We are just trying to help you NOT throw your hard-earned money away.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-12-2015, 21:15   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ah Lizzy I would not be too hard on the Capt, I think his posts are some of the most entertaining on here! There is at least a little bit of him in all of us, no?

But then again Capt... I think we are all curious why such a rush? It sounds like you have to find a boat before next week! There will still be PLENTY of great choices out there once you know how to sail and know better the design that really suits you! We are just trying to help you NOT throw your hard-earned money away.
Hey thanks buddy, but i like Lizzy, she is just passionate.

On the thread "What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?" I entered a long explanation about my rush.

But hey i am looking at a Columbia 36, not 35 i was wrong about that and a couple of P323. I am heavily leaning on a P323 so far?

What do you think? Should i open a thread on comparing the Columbia and the Pearson 323 or is there a thread somewhere in CF?

Thanks
Old 18-12-2015, 21:24   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Hey thanks buddy, but i like Lizzy, she is just passionate.

On the thread "What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?" I entered a long explanation about my rush.

But hey i am looking at a Columbia 36, not 35 i was wrong about that and a couple of P323. I am heavily leaning on a P323 so far?

What do you think? Should i open a thread on comparing the Columbia and the Pearson 323 or is there a thread somewhere in CF?

Thanks
I think enough threads have been opened already. Stick with one. Even though I am passionate about my particular Columbia I am less passionate about the 36 for what you have in mind. Have you thought of just going back to Puerto Rico for a visit for a little while? You might get some different ideas about what you want then.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-12-2015, 21:45   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think enough threads have been opened already. Stick with one. Even though I am passionate about my particular Columbia I am less passionate about the 36 for what you have in mind. Have you thought of just going back to Puerto Rico for a visit for a little while? You might get some different ideas about what you want then.
Going back to Puerto Rico for a visit i have, not interested of living in the Island, Puerto Rico while beautiful it is extremely dangerous and have a very high crime rate and anyone who tells you different is lying to you.

I was raised there i know my Island trust me, i even worked for the government there. Unless you have millions you are in the soup bowl. No thanks. My family used to own land in the hills of Rio Grande, we used to own a lot of land there. When i was young they opened a "centro de Crea" a center for heroin addicts and a prison farther up the hill. It ruined the whole area. When my father was about to die, he offered me the land and i told him to sell it.

Go to Puerto Rico and you will see that everyone have iron bars on their windows and doors. Who wants to live like that?

I am going out to the sea dead or alive and i don't want to deal with the problems that living on land brings. I want peace, serenity, to be alone, i want to enjoy the solitude of the sea, i am paying all of my debts, and i am out of here me and my sailboat and i rather die from a heart attack at sea than stressed out sitting on the toilet. Did you know that most heart attacks occur while you are sitting on the toilet pushing? Not me!
Old 19-12-2015, 11:13   #25

Boat: lancer 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Okay ... I'm going to be brutally honest now.

Just yesterday, you were absolutely 100% sure the only boat for you was the Pearson 323; you barely wanted to hear about the possibility of looking at other boats around 30-32 feet.

This morning, you wanted a 35' boat because you somehow decided 32' is too small for you.

Now you want a 38' Island Packet - for $10-15k?

An IP38 will cost you around $115,000 - not $15,000.
Excluding upgrades etc.

My advice: take a step back, breathe ... and go sailing first.
See if you even like it

Then, have a look at different boats well within your budget and get a feel for what the different boats are like, and what your money will buy you.
Then start selecting (and posting for advice).
Don't go bankrupt over your first boat. Start at the lower end of your budget.

You have a very romantic idea about living aboard and cruising.
Trust me - it's not always fun and you have to look at both what makes it a great lifestyle ... and all the stuff that makes us folks afloat wonder what the bleep we were thinking when we decided this was a good idea

Sometimes it just plain sucks, excusez le mot. Be ready for that too.
I've seen people running from land to boat ... and back to land after a year (or even less), leaving 'the love of their lives' alone and forgotten in the marina.

Right now, you're all over the place and opening more topics then anyone can keep track of
And you don't post all relevant information in each topic - like your budget.
I doubt many people will tell you to buy an IP38 for $15k - unless that was a typo and your budget really is 115,000 instead of 15,000?
what she said. some things begin to wear a little thin.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:43   #26

Boat: Scout 30

At $15,000 you should be concerned with condition of the boat, rigging & engine more than anything else. Pearson, Catalina, Morgan, Hunter, Oday & several more can be found in that price range & they all can be adequate first boats. What you want is a boat that has been updated & well maintained. A new motor will cost you $10,000 + but you might be able to find a boat that's been repowered. New sails will run several thousand but you might find a boat with new sails. You need to look at a lot of boats every chance you get. Read everything you can about boats. If you want information about a specific boat google it. There's already a ton of info about all of these models out there. IMHO you should be looking for the smallest boat that will get the job done in the best condition you can find or afford. The bigger the boat the more it costs to maintain. An IP 27 is big enough for a single guy to live on & you might be able to get one for 15K. Just about any 30 footer is big enough. For your first boat I'd stop there.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:56   #27

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:

Go to Puerto Rico and you will see that everyone have iron bars on their windows and doors. Who wants to live like that?
===

You will find iron bars on windows in many places other than Puerto Rico, in fact you will find them almost anywhere there is a big disparity in incomes. The well off have the iron bars and everyone else has very little to lose. Other than San Juan I've not found Puerto Rico to be significantly more dangerous than the rest of the Caribbean, and it's a lot safer than some places.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:58   #28
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
At $15,000 you should be concerned with condition of the boat, rigging & engine more than anything else. Pearson, Catalina, Morgan, Hunter, Oday & several more can be found in that price range & they all can be adequate first boats. What you want is a boat that has been updated & well maintained. A new motor will cost you $10,000 + but you might be able to find a boat that's been repowered. New sails will run several thousand but you might find a boat with new sails. You need to look at a lot of boats every chance you get. Read everything you can about boats. If you want information about a specific boat google it. There's already a ton of info about all of these models out there. IMHO you should be looking for the smallest boat that will get the job done in the best condition you can find or afford. The bigger the boat the more it costs to maintain. An IP 27 is big enough for a single guy to live on & you might be able to get one for 15K. Just about any 30 footer is big enough. For your first boat I'd stop there.
Thanks buddy!
I think i have looked at numbers enough and it is time to start looking at sailboats.

But in Michigan that is impossible!

Looking forward to spring
Old 19-12-2015, 12:07   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

You will find iron bars on windows in many places other than Puerto Rico, in fact you will find them almost anywhere there is a big disparity in incomes. The well off have the iron bars and everyone else has very little to lose. Other than San Juan I've not found Puerto Rico to be significantly more dangerous than the rest of the Caribbean, and it's a lot safer than some places.
Maybe you and i should visit together? I will show you! just make sure that you bring your good luck charm with you.

You are not safe in Puerto Rico unless you are in the tourist traps which are saturated with undercover and plain clothes police and uniformed police.

Read el Vocero and make sure that you have a rag under it to absorb the blood that drips from it.

Puerto Rico has been turned into trash! The culture destroyed.

let me know when you want to visit la Perla, or Lloren Torres..lol!

In some places i will give you 20 minutes max before you become a victim.

Want to bet? I'll bet you $10k cash that i will have to come save your arse after 30 min.

My advice is not to wander into the unknown in Puerto Rico unless you are with someone who knows the area that you are going into, seriously, you might not come out alive or in great shape.

I went to Puerto Rico to see my family. I was parked by a phone booth making a call since cell phones sometimes just go blank in the island. Two young guys approached me and signaled me to give them change. I was on the phone talking so i just reached into my pocket and pulled out a bunch of quarters. One guy behind me one in front of me. Then it hit me that i was about to get murdered right there and then since i was in a BMW.

I was in the Army then so i could get away with carrying a 44 snub nose magnum and i whipped that sucker out and they both took off running.

In Puerto Rico the advice is that no matter where you are after midnight don't stop at the red lights lest you get carjack!
Old 19-12-2015, 12:19   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

CaptRican,

There are a couple of search functions at the Search button in the upper right of your screen. One is CF Search, but there is a drop down menu there, which is a Google Custom Search. The latter is the one that will get you to threads which compare boats.

Lizzy hit upon something really true. Right now, you seem to be in the throes of a dream, but have never sailed (and call yourself Capt.). Lizzy touched upon the notion that you don't even know whether you really enjoy sailing, or whether and to what extent you get seasick.

Someone wrote above, and there is great validity to this approach, that at the price range in which you are looking, a smaller, well found boat will suit your stated purposes better than a larger, less stoutly constructed, one.

You reside in Michigan and are going to sailing school in Holland? That'll cost a large chunk of your cruising kitty! so, maybe the budget is actually variable, or maybe you're pulling our collective legs.

Ann

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water