Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 11:09   #166

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

This isn't about copying a bunch of incendiary quotes from others to shore up your views on the OP. I am well aware of CR's other posts and threads. My last post was to point out a need to practice patients and tolerance. When you beat the "your wrong" drum, it accomplishes nothing for the forum, the new member or others following the thread. This one became polarized quickly with other "very new" members picking sides. Maybe thats how they think they get accepted in the exclusive cruisers forum.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-12-2015, 11:09   #167
cruiser

Re: Island packet 38 is this a good liveaboard/cruiser/coastal...bluewater sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Ann & others,

Thank you for your thoughtful and reasonable analysis of the issue related to the sometimes bizarre and unrealistic posts by Captain Rican (CR).

It may be helpful to recognize, as often stated in this thread, that many folks on this thread may not be aware of the fact that CR posted a bunch of new threads over the past week, asking about a series of different boats. In response to those multiple threads, many of us tried to help him understand posting and internet forum etiquette seemingly to no avail, although he did seem to finally “get it.”

In my case, within this thread and as part of the normal back-and-forth, I mentioned in passing my experience in an anchorage just a few weeks ago when another boat T-boned me. His response left me flabbergasted: it was my fault for being there! Hogwash.

But just to turn the screws in even harder, in a subsequent reply, he mentioned getting burglarized. Now there’s no way for him to have known that literally a year ago almost to the day it had also happened to me!!!

Think of it: in one year I get burglarized and then T-boned while at anchor and this newbie know-nothing uses those two situations as examples and suggests BOTH of them are MY FAULT.

To put it in perspective, I’d spent, as many of you did, a fair bit of time on this and his numerous other threads, trying to HELP him.

All we got back was blithering stupidity and a “blame the victim” approach that, like Scoobert’s examples, I found offensive.

Ann, I appreciate your approach to the CULTURAL differences between Anglos and Latinos. Indeed, I even brushed lightly on that in one of my earlier posts:

Ann, “passionate expression for males…” may be one way to approach it, and I actually thought about it. But the more I thought about it, the more simply rude I found his responses and his back-and-forth with us on this thread, perhaps because of my personal experiences over the past year. As you know, I’m active on a wide variety of boating forums, and I have rarely, if ever, been exposed to such poor behavior, notwithstanding my sensitivity to these two particular facts (having been both T-boned and burglarized). How this dude FOUND those two particular things to pick on is beyond me. Karma? Yup, sure struck twice here, didn’t it?

I simply don’t think “cross-cultural issues” are at work here, but rather insensitivity to facts and a basic understanding of simple seamanship from a newbie, in spite of the help being offered.

I’ve lived abroad for many years and am quite aware of different strokes for different folks. I caught a glimmer of that from his replies, but still don’t get the “blame the victim” approach he took, as I mentioned in my “parking-your-Denali” reply analogy.

Not knowing the difference between an anchorage and a marina got me, too.

Lizzy caught it well, I think:

VJM also caught it well:

A “new poster” sticky already exists on many forums, but those kind of stickies are the last thing people like that ever read.

Troll? I doubt it, he seemed real enough until he left in his own huff. We have all experienced this before on the internet in forums. Indeed, I mentioned Scoobert in one of CR’s other threads, and zeehag noted that Scoob had an attention deficit issue, which tended to make him sound somewhat arrogant. That I can understand. And taking that and adding it with cultural differences is a dangerous mix.

CS, yes he is ignorant of sailing issues, because he is NEW at it. What you may not be aware of is that he posted three to five or six OTHER separate threads on different boats, each one of which he was provided with a lot of very good input from a wide variety of skippers. Yes, he bought a few books, but he could well have waited to opine on BASIC sailing issues without any basis of fact or experience.

But that’s NOT my beef with him. He just pushed two big WRONG buttons based on my own recent not-so-great personal life experiences.

I don’t care where you live or what your cultural background may be, in this case, because all of us live in a house or a boat somewhere, and none of us like to be burglarized or T-boned. He even used his Denali in a parking lot analogy. Heck, if he knows what a Denali is, and what a BIG parking lot is, perhaps there’s not that much of a cultural difference after all.

And blaming the victim is dumb no matter what your background may be.
Mr. Stu-Jackson,
Sir, i could say a lot of things to you, some very no so nice, but, you certainly have symptoms that i recognized readily, and therefore with such understanding i must say that i hope that you are able to take control of your feelings and impulses. I do understand.

Merry Christmas to you and may you find peace in your life, may you find understanding, serenity, love, care, understanding forever. Fair winds my friend and take care of yourself.

My grandmother once pulled me by my ear and to the side and sternly crouched down and at eye level said to me "loving your friends is easy, loving your enemies and those you don't like a bit harder but doable...try harder, i don't like the way you behaved towards..." and then she proceeded to give me a sermon.

Sincerely! Peace be with you!
Old 24-12-2015, 11:25   #168

Peace to you, too.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 24-12-2015, 11:33   #169
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbit View Post
Personally, I can't see anything negative with CR.

He is enthusiastic (which can grate with the jaded), keen to learn, and is asking what he feels are the right questions to get what he expects to be the right answers, in what he sees to be the right place to be asking them.

He follows the route of the knowledge, and when he is presented with new knowledge, he chases that up as well.

It's not as if he isn't paying attention to what he is being told. I am pretty sure he is, and I think Ann made a very pertinent point too.

When he has been told 'good things' to do and get to improve his knowledge, he has done them and got them. When advised to look in a different area, he paid attention enough to make a commitment to do it and did it.

I have seen plenty of people like CR move from cities to the deep green countryside, and do well enough fast enough to never want to go back. They didn't want to bring the city with them, and want to turn where they go to, into an exact copy of the place they ran away from. Sure they missed stuff at first, but they soon adapted to their neighbours, and became valuable parts of the community.

Others unlike CR, have done far from well in those circumstances. So I think the odds on things turning out well for CR, given his enthusiasm and likely ingrained perseverance, puts him on the right side of the scales for success (even if it may turn out to be a little slower coming, than he perhaps anticipates).

As Sonny says, in the film "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel":

"Everything will be alright in the end. If it's not alright, then it isn't the end."

There's a lot of truth in that.

{yeah, yeah, we've all seen people fall at 'unsolvable' obstacles, that are really all too solvable, but you need the 'can do' attitude to overcome them}

A Merry Christmas To All!

PS. I have helped large numbers of completely inexperienced but 'can do' amateurs, tackle natural slate reroofing of their house modernisations and refurbishments, given them all the information they needed, plus lent the qualified slater for a half a day to get them going, and to a man and woman, they have done beautiful work. If they hit a problem, they weren't afraid to pick up the phone and ask how to solve it.
That's the way i see it too!
Merry Christmas and keep enlightening the world with that light!
Old 24-12-2015, 11:39   #170

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It's Christmas here this morning,

Peace, guys,

Ann
Old 24-12-2015, 11:52   #171
cruiser

Originally Posted by Ribbit-
"I have seen plenty of people like CR move from cities to the deep green countryside, and do well enough fast enough to never want to go back. They didn't want to bring the city with them, and want to turn where they go to, into an exact copy of the place they ran away from. Sure they missed stuff at first, but they soon adapted to their neighbours, and became valuable parts of the community."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi!
Yes that's me, i may have never have been in a sailboat and know nothing about that vehicle but i been in the sea, i grew up in the sea, and i know i belong there, i know it in my heart and i feel the call. I lived that life when i was young in the island.

I don't want to take with me the rat race and all that it entails...I want nature and very little of the rat race...i want to rise with the sun and go down with the sun. I want to eat a lot less and be healthier. I want to be at peace and free with nature and with myself. I don't want a car anymore, i am leaving that behind. I am keeping a phone and internet for security and communication, not as a luxury. I want no luxuries or as little and few as possible.

I go because i want to, because is like the forest calling the trees, it calls me, and i am going. If i am not welcomed? Then i will deal with it when it comes...

I read something in the internet of two brothers who had raised a lioness cub, it came a time when they had to return her to the wild, at a wild animal preserve. Quite a bit of time later they came back, they had not seen her for many years and she was now an adult grown lioness in a pride.

They were driven for hours to where the lions where. At a very long distance they parked their guided vehicle and through binoculars looked at a pride and they were able to recognize her.

As they looked they saw a lioness started walking towards their direction, it was her, but how would she react? One of the brothers scared to death stepped out of the vehicle, everyone was tense, would she attack him and kill him the males weren't too far behind.

Finally after what seemed an eternity she was close, he stood, she stopped and smelled into the air, then approached him and threw her big paws over his shoulder and wouldn't get off of him, then the other brother joined him. It was a beautiful thing to see.

I return to the sea to see if my lioness remembers me, i am stepping out of the truck... come on lioness of the ocean throw your waves at me and wrap me with your watery arms and heal my soul.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!!
Old 24-12-2015, 12:23   #172
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Ann you are a sweet heart!

So CaptRican think about this:

"You know, my daughter got promoted to Captain in the United States Army! and earned a commander position. "

How would your daughter's co workers reacted if as a new Second Lt. she put a title on her emails of Captain?
Does it makes sense to compare a social sailing "forum", with the UNITED STATES ARMY of AMERICA?

CaptRican is not an official name, it is not protected by the ordinances or by any laws of the state where i reside or in any state of the union.

UNLESS: You are doing so in an official capacity.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
Old 24-12-2015, 12:27   #173
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
"Passionate expression" or "irrational exuberance"? I wish I knew a stronger phrase than Greenspan's "irrational exuberance." How about "intoxicated grandiosity"? In any case, this has been a very entertaining thread as we Anglos and Euros have tried to analyze and advise this Latino. And I'm left wondering if this guy is real or is he just pulling our peg legs to see how long he can maintain the center of attention and how hard we will try to get through to him.
"as we Anglos and Euros have tried to analyze and advise this Latino."

Lol! LOL! LOL! LOL! LOL! LMAO!
Old 24-12-2015, 12:37   #174
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
I think he meant he wouldn't be posting in this thread further.

We'll see.
Not when the level of intelligence dips into the red area....
Old 24-12-2015, 12:50   #175
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yes, he's posted that a couple of times. It reminds me of Mark Antony and Ceasar's will in "Julius Caesar"--a coyness designed to invigorate response.
Some one said something about assumptions some where, i think it was something to the effect of, makes you not look good and your hair could fall off?

Being Coy takes "presence of mind" and too much energy, no coyness here.

If the level of intelligence dips into the red area, then there is no reason to hang around.

I am here to make friends and learn and have a good positive time.

What happened here is deplorable and i hope that this is only representative of a few rather of the many.

In the Military intelligence community they use to say "let them manifest themselves, we need to know who they are, don't run them underground yet"

I am learning who the birds of a feather are, the trouble makers, the unfriendly, those who are offensive and rude.

I need to know who they are...let them manifest themselves....

So i can say to myself, go thy way my soul and stay away from....
Old 24-12-2015, 13:01   #176

Ok CaptRican...Maybe quit while you're ahead
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 24-12-2015, 13:08   #177
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Ok CaptRican...Maybe quit while you're ahead
Thanks!
Merry Christmas to you!
Old 25-12-2015, 12:54   #178

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post

Does it makes sense to compare a social sailing "forum", with the UNITED STATES ARMY of AMERICA?

CaptRican is not an official name, it is not protected by the ordinances or by any laws of the state where i reside or in any state of the union.

UNLESS: You are doing so in an official capacity.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
The United States Army of America? Which army were you in?
Old 25-12-2015, 13:20   #179

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
But that’s NOT my beef with him. He just pushed two big WRONG buttons based on my own recent not-so-great personal life experiences.
Same here, and what happened varied from ' just' having stuff stolen and being T-boned at anchor to much, much worse.

The comments he made were hurtful and offensive, but there seems no way to make him understand that so I gave up.

As to his idea of never leaving / anchoring his boat anywhere where others might get close enough to damage it:

my final advise to RC is to buy a steel boat that can handle breaking ice. And read up on how to deal with polarbears, cos that's pretty much where you'll end up if you want to be more or less alone out there.

Sailing the the Arctic is not for the faint of heart nor the newbies, but it is where RC will find the quiet places he's looking for.
Old 25-12-2015, 16:46   #180

....or you can just let go of taking something so seriously on the freakin Internet.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser, island packet, liveaboard, sail, sailboat, water